Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-12-2014, 09:06 PM   #81
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Are we openly rooting for Deng to fail as a Maverick before free agency has even begun?
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2014, 09:20 PM   #82
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
I don't get that prediction. He's never averaged less than 14 pp36, and his career average is 16 pp36. Are you expecting he'd come to Dallas and have his minutes cut?
I'm expecting he gets his minutes cut some(I'm thinking 33ish a game) and I think he's the 4th option on offense. When he's only been less than the second option for one season in his career. I just don't see his avenue to a ton of points here. He's not getting 18 ft isos here like he did in Chicago, he can't shoot and he's not a great rebounder. I just don't see why you'd run isos for him when you have so many better options.

Spree I hope deng avges 20 and 10 if he comes here, but I'm predicting what I think will happen, not what I hope will happen.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:28 PM   #83
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

We won the title with Shawn averaging 12/7....sooo?

Pretty sure his TS% would automatically rise here, its the Dirk/RC factor. I also think he will "save" us some points at defense.

And if he takes high percentage shots as 3rd option and makes them, averaging something like 14PPG and plays good to great D, then im fine with him. Even with the 10m price tag.

Last edited by sefant77; 05-12-2014 at 09:28 PM.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:19 PM   #84
escobar317

escobar317 is a jewel in the roughescobar317 is a jewel in the roughescobar317 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_dobber View Post
say no to melo.
chucker.
ball stopper.
iso-ball.
chemistry-killing disaster.

Same thing you all said about Monta Ellis lol
escobar317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:12 AM   #85
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Hope everyone tuned into the nets heat tonight. Joe Johnson iso on LeBron twice with less than 2 min. Bricked both shots hard and it cost them the game...that's carmelo game right there. Iso pull up jumpshot brick
Old 05-13-2014, 05:50 AM   #86
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
Hope everyone tuned into the nets heat tonight. Joe Johnson iso on LeBron twice with less than 2 min. Bricked both shots hard and it cost them the game...that's carmelo game right there. Iso pull up jumpshot brick
Iv long been a joe Johnson fan, but melo is a much better player
Old 05-13-2014, 06:06 AM   #87
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan View Post
Iv long been a joe Johnson fan, but melo is a much better player
That's an understatement.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:04 AM   #88
dmakk

dmakk is on a distinguished road

As far as Carmelo is concerned, they shouldn't waste any resources in chasing him, but if he's interested, they should reciprocate that interest. He may be overrated, but he's still top 5 at his position. I have faith in Rick to develop better plays than isos at the end of games.

I'd love to have Deng as our 3. I don't think there's a better defensive 3 on the market, and you still have flexibility to upgrade other positions.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk
dmakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:29 PM   #89
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jproxursoxoff View Post
No to Threat Title. Just NO. Melo is one of two elite players in this league (other being Westbrook) that im sooo glad will never be a Mav.

Melo is lockerroom cancer. Everybody knows this. The dude would take a scoring title over a playoff berth any and every year.

I repeat: NO.
Agreed, the only year, he wasn't a cancer was when Kidd was in there. Kidd showed him how to ball the right way. 54 wins with Kidd was a career high in the team category for Melo. It tied for the 2009 season while he was in Denver...with another veteran PG, Billups. The guy needs direction that he respects, Billups, Karl, and Kidd kept the guy in line....can Dirk, Carlisle....doubtful and why gamble the max deal that it might work out....Dirk isn't going to be there forever and given the max deal, you'd expect the guy you tag the face of the franchise on after Dirk.....???? I'd pass. Deng is the smarter move, allow Monta and Calderon to create, Deng and Dirk to finish.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:30 PM   #90
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
Agreed, the only year, he wasn't a cancer was when Kidd was in there. Kidd showed him how to ball the right way. 54 wins with Kidd was a career high in the team category for Melo. It tied for the 2009 season while he was in Denver...with another veteran PG, Billups. The guy needs direction that he respects, Billups, Karl, and Kidd kept the guy in line....can Dirk, Carlisle....doubtful and why gamble the max deal that it might work out....Dirk isn't going to be there forever and given the max deal, you'd expect the guy you tag the face of the franchise on after Dirk.....???? I'd pass. Deng is the smarter move, allow Monta and Calderon to create, Deng and Dirk to finish.
So Calderon isn't a veteran pg? Carlisle isn't a leader??? This makes no sense
Old 05-13-2014, 03:48 PM   #91
Floppy

Floppy is a glorious beacon of lightFloppy is a glorious beacon of lightFloppy is a glorious beacon of lightFloppy is a glorious beacon of lightFloppy is a glorious beacon of lightFloppy is a glorious beacon of lightFloppy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
I'm expecting he gets his minutes cut some(I'm thinking 33ish a game) and I think he's the 4th option on offense. When he's only been less than the second option for one season in his career. I just don't see his avenue to a ton of points here. He's not getting 18 ft isos here like he did in Chicago, he can't shoot and he's not a great rebounder. I just don't see why you'd run isos for him when you have so many better options.

Spree I hope deng avges 20 and 10 if he comes here, but I'm predicting what I think will happen, not what I hope will happen.
Who's the 3rd option on offense ?
Floppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:49 PM   #92
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floppy View Post
Who's the 3rd option on offense ?
Calderon or vince
Old 05-13-2014, 03:58 PM   #93
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Calderon or vince
So the 11.4 and 11.9 PPG guys are going to outscore the 16.0 PPG guy?

I don't see it.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 04:01 PM   #94
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
So the 11.4 and 11.9 PPG guys are going to outscore the 16.0 PPG guy?

I don't see it.
Context my friend, context. I'll bet anyone anything they want. Barring serious injuries to dirk or Ellis, there isn't a chance in hell that he averages 16 here.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:32 PM   #95
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Context my friend, context. I'll bet anyone anything they want. Barring serious injuries to dirk or Ellis, there isn't a chance in hell that he averages 16 here.
Why not?

Old 05-13-2014, 04:56 PM   #96
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Deng vs Melo? I'd rather take a defensive minded center with an above average BBIQ. Find your 5, pay whatever it takes, and then fill in the SF position with whatever is left over. I doubt it will be Melo. I think Deng is unlikely. If you can't find someone to protect the rim then you better find the best defensive minded SF available and overpay them(if need be). Again, I doubt it is Melo. Deng maybe.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:24 PM   #97
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefrog View Post
Deng vs Melo? I'd rather take a defensive minded center with an above average BBIQ. Find your 5, pay whatever it takes, and then fill in the SF position with whatever is left over. I doubt it will be Melo. I think Deng is unlikely. If you can't find someone to protect the rim then you better find the best defensive minded SF available and overpay them(if need be). Again, I doubt it is Melo. Deng maybe.
I'm a little split between wanting a full-time starter at center (our committee center was actually pretty good) and wanting to replace Marion, who has shown that he's finally starting to decline significantly.

I'm not sure that either need is significantly more pressing than the other.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 05-13-2014 at 05:25 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:35 PM   #98
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I'm not buying the JJ to Melo comparison. Melo is significantly more talented.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:52 PM   #99
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
I'm a little split between wanting a full-time starter at center (our committee center was actually pretty good) and wanting to replace Marion, who has shown that he's finally starting to decline significantly.

I'm not sure that either need is significantly more pressing than the other.
I think center's a little more pressing, but only because the top guy in the center rotation has a tendency to lose competitive focus.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:56 PM   #100
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quick question about a couple names that haven't come up here. At what point, if any, do the Mavs take a serious look at Pierce and/or Gasol?
Old 05-13-2014, 06:12 PM   #101
Underdog

Quote:
Quick question about a couple names that haven't come up here. At what point, if any, do the Mavs take a serious look at Pierce and/or Gasol?
4 years ago.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:13 PM   #102
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I just don't see how Pierce makes any sense if the Mavs are trying to fix their defense. Gasol is interesting, but I feel like his price might be higher than they are willing to pay.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:29 PM   #103
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack.Kerr View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NhEFq3USMU

Don't do it, don't do it, don't do it.
This is pretty much where I come down on the subject of pursuing Carmelo Anthony.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:55 PM   #104
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Why not?
Because what he does to get most of those points, he won't get to do here. He's the anti monta Ellis. Monta was a player with obvious flaws but who had an obvious route to succeed on this team. The pick and roll with dirk and just flat attacking the rim while our shooting spaced the floor.

Deng doesn't really have any huge holes other than shooting in his game but he also doesn't have a clear path to success. There are obviously a ton of ways to score in an basketball game but if you were going to break them down they would look like this in no order spot up shooting(deng can't do it), pick and roll ball handling(deng can't do it), pick and roll screening(he can do it in the sense that anyone can do it and he actually currently finishes a decent number of pick and rolls with the mid post game dirk has, he's just not good enough at it for that to be a desired outcome), cuts(deng is solid at this but not special), garbage including offensive rebounds, broken plays and the like(deng isn't much of an offensive rebounder but he gets a decent amount of garbage buckets due to his bbiq), and finally iso either on the perimeter or in the post. This is how deng gets most of his points, on 18 foot ft line extended isos. The problem with that is, if he comes to the mavs and we are goin to run 18 ft ft line extended isos for a forward, he won't be getting them.

I'm really curious, what exactly do you think we will run for him for him to score so much? Do you really think we ISO him with dirk or monta or vince or even harris on the floor consistently? Do you think he spots up and suddenly becomes a much better shooter? Do we choose to use him as the roll man in the pick and roll instead of dirk? I just honestly don't see it happening. Deng is every bit as bad if not worse as a shooter than Marion(and I mean Marion now, not Phoenix Marion) he doesn't rebound as well and hes not much of a passer either.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:27 PM   #105
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
I just don't see how Pierce makes any sense if the Mavs are trying to fix their defense. Gasol is interesting, but I feel like his price might be higher than they are willing to pay.
I was actually thinking Gasol would be the bigger question mark on the defensive end, though certainly neither would do anything for team speed/athleticism. I do think both are the kinds of guys that could do well on a Carlisle-coached team, though, and I wonder if they might not end up being relatively smart buys in this free agent class.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:36 PM   #106
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

I don't remember changing the title of this thread..
yahyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:37 PM   #107
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahyes View Post
I don't remember changing the title of this thread..
You didn't but it was a grammatical nightmare
Old 05-13-2014, 10:57 PM   #108
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
You didn't but it was a grammatical nightmare
Old 05-13-2014, 11:26 PM   #109
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:29 PM   #110
some1nw
Golden Member

some1nw is a name known to allsome1nw is a name known to allsome1nw is a name known to allsome1nw is a name known to allsome1nw is a name known to allsome1nw is a name known to allsome1nw is a name known to allsome1nw is a name known to allsome1nw is a name known to allsome1nw is a name known to allsome1nw is a name known to all

damn chris paul is a choker
Old 05-13-2014, 11:44 PM   #111
yahyes
Banned

Gortat, Melo, Devin, Blair, Vince, Marion, and DIRK. Sign these guys.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:41 AM   #112
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I spent some time considering Pierce a couple weeks ago. Ultimately I decided that, although he's still a solid player and seems to still be a solid team defender, I just don't see how this team is successful without a SF in the starting lineup that can guard quickness.

If they want to make Shaun Livingston their starting PG then Pierce is someone that might make sense. But if Calderon or even Harris are going to be starting at PG I don't see it.

With Gasol your'e just betting that he awesome offensive combination up front makes up for terrible defense. Just not sure we can make that work.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 05-14-2014 at 06:44 AM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:39 PM   #113
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
So Calderon isn't a veteran pg? Carlisle isn't a leader??? This makes no sense
I did not say leader, they maybe great leaders, but can they garner Melo's respect? Respect is a whole different thing. Individuals are different, react differently. Kidd had Melo's respect from Day 1 when in NY. Why? I don't know, that's more psychological than anything else.

Like I said, if you're willing to gamble max money on Melo that he'll respect Calderon and Carlisle enough to lead the Mavs back to the championship, then great, lets go get him. The Knicks were a mess this year, and Kidd was a huge part of it. Melo went out and got his, but they didn't defend, offense was harder, spacing was bad. Melo is not a leader and post Dirk, is this the guy you want to saddle the face of the franchise on. Or do you chase a cheaper piece like Deng and continue to look for the successor to Dirk on the peripheral....keeping the options open.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:42 PM   #114
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
I spent some time considering Pierce a couple weeks ago. Ultimately I decided that, although he's still a solid player and seems to still be a solid team defender, I just don't see how this team is successful without a SF in the starting lineup that can guard quickness.

If they want to make Shaun Livingston their starting PG then Pierce is someone that might make sense. But if Calderon or even Harris are going to be starting at PG I don't see it.

With Gasol your'e just betting that he awesome offensive combination up front makes up for terrible defense. Just not sure we can make that work.
Defense is going to be huge in the west. If you get a guy that can make things difficult on KD, that's a huge wild card that you have. Deng as the replacement for Marion is not a bad way to go. KD will still get his, but how? You want to empty that gas tank fast, make him take difficult shots, make him work for those shots....so when's Tony Allen an FA?
Old 05-14-2014, 01:50 PM   #115
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Quote:
Because what he does to get most of those points, he won't get to do here. He's the anti monta Ellis. Monta was a player with obvious flaws but who had an obvious route to succeed on this team. The pick and roll with dirk and just flat attacking the rim while our shooting spaced the floor.

Deng doesn't really have any huge holes other than shooting in his game but he also doesn't have a clear path to success. There are obviously a ton of ways to score in an basketball game but if you were going to break them down they would look like this in no order spot up shooting(deng can't do it), pick and roll ball handling(deng can't do it), pick and roll screening(he can do it in the sense that anyone can do it and he actually currently finishes a decent number of pick and rolls with the mid post game dirk has, he's just not good enough at it for that to be a desired outcome), cuts(deng is solid at this but not special), garbage including offensive rebounds, broken plays and the like(deng isn't much of an offensive rebounder but he gets a decent amount of garbage buckets due to his bbiq), and finally iso either on the perimeter or in the post. This is how deng gets most of his points, on 18 foot ft line extended isos. The problem with that is, if he comes to the mavs and we are goin to run 18 ft ft line extended isos for a forward, he won't be getting them.

I'm really curious, what exactly do you think we will run for him for him to score so much? Do you really think we ISO him with dirk or monta or vince or even harris on the floor consistently? Do you think he spots up and suddenly becomes a much better shooter? Do we choose to use him as the roll man in the pick and roll instead of dirk? I just honestly don't see it happening. Deng is every bit as bad if not worse as a shooter than Marion(and I mean Marion now, not Phoenix Marion) he doesn't rebound as well and hes not much of a passer either.
Great points, his numbers offensively went down in Cleveland, you'd expect with a better PG, he'd get cleaner looks, but his percentage went down as well, shots dropped. Is he a one trick pony hidden in Chicago's recent success?
Old 05-14-2014, 04:53 PM   #116
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

If people are concerned that Deng was just a product of Thibodeau's system, then I don't see why he can't be that for Carlisle's system. Deng is a two way player. He may not be a great offensive or defensive player, but he has a pretty good all-around game when he gets going and is healthy. I have some reservations about him as well, but damn, we gotta sign somebody.

Seems like opinions are all over the place. Most of us would agree that this is a make or break summer still...no? You gotta go after somebody so Melo, Deng, Gasol, Pierce, Monroe, Gortat, Ariza...def have prioritize who you're going to construct your team with.

I know he isn't too popular around here, but I'd still take a hard, long look at Monroe. Young bigs with his talent rarely come along. And even though he isn't ideal defensively next to Dirk, he would be a guy who you could build around more long term. Plus, we'd still have Dalembert for defense. I think about it this way...if we had Monroe versus the Spurs, do we win that series? What about Deng? I do think that is how the FO has to think. What players would be needed to beat the Spurs and/or Thunders of the world.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 05-14-2014 at 04:54 PM.
DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:22 PM   #117
yahyes
Banned

Steve Kerr isn't going to coach the Knicks after all.. Which means Mavs should be first in line if Phil Jackson is about to do a fire sale to first start trading Tyson. Then we can see if Melo wants to join.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:05 PM   #118
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
If people are concerned that Deng was just a product of Thibodeau's system, then I don't see why he can't be that for Carlisle's system. Deng is a two way player. He may not be a great offensive or defensive player, but he has a pretty good all-around game when he gets going and is healthy. I have some reservations about him as well, but damn, we gotta sign somebody.

Seems like opinions are all over the place. Most of us would agree that this is a make or break summer still...no? You gotta go after somebody so Melo, Deng, Gasol, Pierce, Monroe, Gortat, Ariza...def have prioritize who you're going to construct your team with.

I know he isn't too popular around here, but I'd still take a hard, long look at Monroe. Young bigs with his talent rarely come along. And even though he isn't ideal defensively next to Dirk, he would be a guy who you could build around more long term. Plus, we'd still have Dalembert for defense. I think about it this way...if we had Monroe versus the Spurs, do we win that series? What about Deng? I do think that is how the FO has to think. What players would be needed to beat the Spurs and/or Thunders of the world.
It's not just that he was a product of the system, it's that he was a product of the touches, and the fact that they were an awful offense is a big reason why he got those touches. I think Ariza is going to get massively overpaid too but I think he fits better than deng. I also wouldn't be opposed to sefalosha depending on what he costs. All that said, and even realizing how unlikely it is, melo should be our top priority(not counting Lebron)
Old 05-15-2014, 04:52 PM   #119
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

In assessing the Knicks’ situation, Kerr had told confidants that he believed Anthony could be a dynamic weapon in the triangle offense that Jackson is hoping to have his new coach install. But he was less sanguine about whether Anthony, who will turn 30 this month, would be eager to re-tailor the way he plays at this point in his career.

Kerr was wary of Anthony’s willingness to deal with a learning curve, along with the prospect of a roster rebuild, or what he described to NBA.com as “a big undertaking” that would “take time.”

The end.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:49 PM   #120
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
In assessing the Knicks’ situation, Kerr had told confidants that he believed Anthony could be a dynamic weapon in the triangle offense that Jackson is hoping to have his new coach install. But he was less sanguine about whether Anthony, who will turn 30 this month, would be eager to re-tailor the way he plays at this point in his career.

Kerr was wary of Anthony’s willingness to deal with a learning curve, along with the prospect of a roster rebuild, or what he described to NBA.com as “a big undertaking” that would “take time.”

The end.
The Knicks are the only team that really needs to be concerned about that, IMO. They can, and will, offer him more money than anybody else, and hence there's a good chance that he'll stay regardless of his willingness to work with the new coach and in the new system. If he leaves, though, he'll be giving up millions to do so, and it seems to me unlikely that he'd make that kind of sacrifice if he weren't excited about the prospect of working with whoever his new coach was going to be. Of course, I also think that he's very unlikely to pass on the money, and will end up re-signing with NY regardless of their new coach/system. But that doesn't change my view that there's almost no chance whatsoever that Dallas ends up locked into a bad-for-the-team long-term deal with Anthony.