Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-27-2002, 03:17 PM   #41
Nellie
Golden Member

Nellie is on a distinguished road

I guess it comes down to this:

A) Kandi signs some how and we have the option of keeping NVE

B) Thomas and Ward are traded here for NVE and with that we lose our trade bait

Why would you jump to B without investigating A at all? No matter how unlikely it is, I would be disappointed if the Mavs pulled the trigger on this deal without making a run at A. Some have talked like they were disappointed that this deal didn't go down last night. I don't get what the hurry is. I don't think it is a bad deal at all but I would rather know for sure that we caouldn't have Kandi first.
Old 06-27-2002, 03:18 PM   #42
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Or, it could come down to this:

C) Kandi signs, and then we deal Van Exel in another package later which brings us a quality backup PG AND another solid big guy.

It is possible, after all...

Old 06-27-2002, 03:23 PM   #43
Nellie
Golden Member

<< Or, it could come down to this:

C) Kandi signs, and then we deal Van Exel in another package later which brings us a quality backup PG AND another solid big guy.

>>

I don't think anybody here could have predicted that we would trade Juwan Howard for NVE and LaFrentz last year so absolutely anything is possible. More so with this team than most.
Old 06-27-2002, 03:34 PM   #44
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Cuban has proved you can trade for and trade away &quot;untradeable&quot; players. That is for sure. I still think NVE's value is highest now.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 03:36 PM   #45
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

>>

Kandi signing outright is just impossible b/c we can't offer more than the exception, which the Clippers would surely match. So we'd have to sign and trade for Kandi. There is no other way.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Old 06-27-2002, 03:43 PM   #46
Nellie
Golden Member

<<

>>

Kandi signing outright is just impossible b/c we can't offer more than the exception, which the Clippers would surely match. So we'd have to sign and trade for Kandi. There is no other way.
>>

I'm just thinking out loud here:

Is it possible to sign Kandi for a 1 year deal with the exception to get him into a Mavs uniform and then re-sign him long term next year when his contract is up?
Old 06-27-2002, 03:48 PM   #47
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Kandi is a restricted free agent so the Clips would match. And NBA players want the long term deals whenever possible.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 03:52 PM   #48
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Kandi only comes to the Mavs in a sign and trade.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 03:53 PM   #49
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

So perhaps the answer is a three-team deal which gives the Clippers whatever it is that they want, gives the Mavs Kandi and perhaps a backup PG, and sees Dallas shipping out NVE and other warm bodies...
Old 06-27-2002, 04:01 PM   #50
Dooby
Diamond Member

That is a possibility. But it would have to involve an eastern conference team b/c no western conference team will help us get Kandi.

Old 06-27-2002, 04:03 PM   #51
Drbio
Banned

Someone mock up some Clips-Mavs-Knicks trade scenarios.....
Old 06-27-2002, 04:13 PM   #52
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

<< That is a possibility. But it would have to involve an eastern conference team b/c no western conference team will help us get Kandi. >>

Good point. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-27-2002, 04:16 PM   #53
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I can't imagine the Knicks have even ONE player the Clips want. The Clips want CHEAP talent.

The cheapest Knicks are Othella Harrington, Kurt Thomas, and Travis Knight. The Clips are already loaded at PF.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 04:18 PM   #54
Drbio
Banned

Unless the Clips were interested in Mavs Bradley, Esch or some other bench guy.
Old 06-27-2002, 05:51 PM   #55
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Yea I dont understand why everyone is willing to pull the trigger on the Ward and NVE trade so quickly. There are more options then this. As far as Kurt Thomas being a stud here? He cant even be a stud in NY let alone being what a 4th option? Like someone said i would do this as a consolation prize if everything falls thruogh but I would much rather have Malik Rose than Kurt Thomas any day of the week. Kurt is no scrub but if we are going to trade NVE which is probaly gonna be our last trading bait till we make the championship I want something better than Kurt Thomas. If it has to pull Najera in a deal to ship Nick im for it long as we get a guy like a Antonio Davis type player. What abotu Dale Davis i like his game and maybe we could get a nice deal from Portalnd being they are trying to stop going the all star route.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 07:18 AM   #56
Dooby
Diamond Member

One thing needs to be said about Kandi. If the Clips can't work a deal to keep him, it will be devastating for the psyche of that team. You can justify shipping Odom off because of the drug issue. But Kandi deserves his money and has behaved. That is a tight young core and if you let one get away, I suspect everyone will become disinterested and want to bolt. If they can't resign Kandi, I think Brand will want out. And the clippers will have to start all over.

Old 06-28-2002, 07:21 AM   #57
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

malik rose probably isn't leaving SA and he doesn't address the mavs interior defensive needs
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 08:07 AM   #58
Drbio
Banned

Rose has stated publically that he has no desire to leave San Anotonio.
Old 06-28-2002, 08:17 AM   #59
mick

mick is on a distinguished road

<< Unless the Clips were interested in Mavs Bradley, Esch or some other bench guy. >>

Clipps may be interested in our RFA, Wang. However, it's not likely that we can do a dual S&amp;T as I doubt that Wang will be in the same salary range as Kandi. I believe the qualifying salary that Clipps have to give Kandi for the RFA is status is in the $6 mil range.

Clipps need backcourt help more than front court. Would you keep NVE and trade Nash/Wang?

Most wouldn't do it. Clipps would be even scarier for us with either Nash or Nick.

Therefore, the best option is a 3 or more team trade.

BTW, the reason I think NVE has more trade value than some on this board want to admit is because of the number of teams needing a solid PG. Nick is definitely a quality PG, and the way he has handled himself in Dallas surely has raised his value from what it was in Denver. Some GM somewhere will project him with his Dallas attitude and his Denver stats and believe he is a fit for their team.
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 08:21 AM   #60
mick

<< One thing needs to be said about Kandi. If the Clips can't work a deal to keep him, it will be devastating for the psyche of that team. You can justify shipping Odom off because of the drug issue. But Kandi deserves his money and has behaved. That is a tight young core and if you let one get away, I suspect everyone will become disinterested and want to bolt. If they can't resign Kandi, I think Brand will want out. And the clippers will have to start all over. >>

Sterling was quoted in the papers yesterday as saying he has given Baylor the green light on signing Kandi if Baylor wants him back.
Old 06-28-2002, 08:24 AM   #61
mick

<< Rose has stated publically that he has no desire to leave San Anotonio. >>

Another thought. If SA keeps Rose, and now that they have drafted Scola, they should have no interest in Najera.
Old 06-28-2002, 08:27 AM   #62
Dooby
Diamond Member

I doubt anyone in San Antonio, other than Spurs fanboys, ever did have an interest in Najera.

Old 06-28-2002, 08:44 AM   #63
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

he's probably the opposite of NVE.

his value with the mavs is greater than his actual ability.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 09:23 AM   #64
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

Hate to bring this back up, but Kirk Thomas is a smart basketball player. I'll bet Najera can learn a lot from him. Yet another reason. . .
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 09:33 AM   #65
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

I hope HE can spell his name...
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 03:24 PM   #66
Drbio
Banned

Another thought. If SA keeps Rose, and now that they have drafted Scola, they should have no interest in Najera.

I don't think they had a snowballs chance in hell of signing Eddie.