Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 07-15-2001, 03:00 PM   #41
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Good try. Your right about a no hitter. A Perfect game is when NOBODY reaches base, whether it be by a walk, hit batter or what ever.

It's cool with me if you don't know nothing about baseball. It's not much fun following anymore anyways. You made this board and it's ten times more intertainingand interesting then any baseball game is or could ever be. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2001, 03:01 PM   #42
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

How can a person with a walk NOT reach a base?
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2001, 03:04 PM   #43
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

I think you read my post too fast. To pitch a perfect game, the pitcher CAN NOT, walk a batter, hit a batter, or give up a hit to a batter. Understand now?

Old 07-15-2001, 03:06 PM   #44
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Almost..one more question. What if the batter hits the ball, but it's caught and he's called out?
Old 07-15-2001, 03:08 PM   #45
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

Uh well, he's out [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] . Perfect game and no hitter still intact.

Old 07-15-2001, 03:10 PM   #46
djb
Administrator

Ok now I get it.
Old 07-15-2001, 03:11 PM   #47
djb
Administrator

So if a pitcher were to get a no-hitter, but not a perfect game, than does that mean he gives up some walks or something?
Old 07-15-2001, 03:13 PM   #48
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

All be darn, your catching on. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-15-2001, 03:14 PM   #49
djb
Administrator

Is there any other way for a batter to get on base during a no-hitter?
Old 07-15-2001, 03:16 PM   #50
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

So if a pitcher were to get a no-hitter, but not a perfect game, than does that mean he gives up some walks or something?

Yes. And those walks (or a hit batter, or passed balls) can score runs and the no hitter can remain intact. As long as the pitcher does not allow a HIT, he has a no-hitter.

You can have a no-hitter and still have a loss.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2001, 03:17 PM   #51
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

Hit batter(batter getting hit be the pitchers pitch). By an Error, and a batter also has the oppertunity to reach base on a dropped 3rd strike.

Old 07-15-2001, 03:17 PM   #52
djb
Administrator

Ok I know what a walk is. I assume a hit batter is just what is sounds like. But what's a passed ball?
Old 07-15-2001, 03:19 PM   #53
djb
Administrator

Ugh also what's an error.
Old 07-15-2001, 03:20 PM   #54
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

Pass Ball is when the catcher can't handle the pitch from the pitcher and the ball gets pass the catcher.

Old 07-15-2001, 03:22 PM   #55
djb
Administrator

Is that an automatic walk or something?
Old 07-15-2001, 03:22 PM   #56
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

An Error is basically when a fielder has the oppertunity to make a play for the ball(after it's hit) and has time to get the out, but fails to do so.

Old 07-15-2001, 03:30 PM   #57
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

"Is that an automatic walk or something? "

No. If the batter swings(and it's strike 3 on the batter), the batter is allowed to run to first base. If the catcher retreives the ball quick enough, he can throw to the first basemen and get the batter out. The pitcher is rewarded with a strikeout no matter what the case.

If there's a player on base when a passball/wild pitch happens, the base runner can advance as far as he thinks he can make it(usually just 1 base).

Other wise the pass ball or wild pitch is just a ball(if the player doesn't swing at it) and play continues.

Old 07-15-2001, 03:35 PM   #58
djb
Administrator

So the pass ball has to happen on the 3rd strike? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] Also, once the ball gets passed the catcher, the batter can run towards first base but he could still get out right? Meaning, he doesn't automatically get on first base.
Old 07-15-2001, 03:39 PM   #59
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

"So the pass ball has to happen on the 3rd strike?"

No, it can happen at any time. Only on a 3rd strike is the batter allowed to run to first base though.

"Also, once the ball gets passed the catcher, the batter can run towards first base but he could still get out right? Meaning, he doesn't automatically get on first base."

Yes

Old 07-15-2001, 05:56 PM   #60
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

The really cool thing about a passed ball on the third strike is that it still counts as a strikeout (but not an out). So a pitcher can get more than 3 strikeouts in an inning. Charlie Hough almost got 4 in an All-Star game.

That was the funniest scene. Hough got to pitch an inning and the catcher had never caught a knuckleballer before. The catcher must have let 5 or 6 balls past him. Hough had 3 strikeouts and 2 strikes on the last batter of the inning but the guy flied out.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2001, 07:18 PM   #61
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

<< The really cool thing about a passed ball on the third strike is that it still counts as a strikeout (but not an out). So a pitcher can get more than 3 strikeouts in an inning. Charlie Hough almost got 4 in an All-Star game. >>

Hence the reason that my trivia question if possible.