Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 07-13-2001, 02:48 PM   #1
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

i'll start out,...with a baseball question, just for DJ

who's the only second baseman in baseball history to win multiple triple crowns?
this one is pretty easy, because their's only one guy that it could possibly be
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2001, 02:49 PM   #2
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

In one ear, out the other.

I know virtually nothing about baseball [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2001, 02:53 PM   #3
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

do you know what the triple crown is?
Old 07-13-2001, 02:54 PM   #4
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Do you know what a Triple is? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2001, 02:55 PM   #5
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Rob you're pushing it! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I think one of you mentioned the Triple Crown in the other thread. Something about number of homeruns, rbi's, and batting ave right?
Old 07-13-2001, 02:56 PM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

haha..that's a good one...
well, back to the original question though..

who's the only second baseman in baseball history to win multiple triple crowns?

this one is pretty easy, because their's only one guy that it could possibly be

Old 07-13-2001, 02:58 PM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

leading the league in rbi's, home run's and average
Old 07-13-2001, 03:00 PM   #8
djb
Administrator

Mark McGwire?
Old 07-13-2001, 03:04 PM   #9
Murphy3
Guru

haha, NO
Old 07-13-2001, 03:05 PM   #10
djb
Administrator

Aww damn. How about Babe Ruth? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-13-2001, 03:07 PM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

umm..no, we're looking for a second baseban...
looking from home plate, he stands to the right of second base, but not as far to the right as the first baseman
Old 07-13-2001, 03:09 PM   #12
djb
Administrator

Ok honestly, first baseman, second baseman..that really doesn't mean anything to me! The only baseball I watch is the occasional ESPN highlight reel. That and sometimes my gf makes me watch Yankees games.
Old 07-13-2001, 03:10 PM   #13
Murphy3
Guru

damn, i really didn't know that someone could be so literate in one sport and equally as illiterate in another...
i know some people might know one sport really well..and not know as much about the others, but this is the most extreme case i've seen in the history of ever
Old 07-13-2001, 03:11 PM   #14
djb
Administrator

lol [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 07-13-2001, 03:14 PM   #15
Murphy3
Guru

i guess it's easy for me..i played baseball, football and basketball competitively all by the age of 7, and played tennis competitively by 12... so, i guess i've grown up in a more sports oriented environment..considering my dad coached baseball for about 20 years
Old 07-13-2001, 03:18 PM   #16
Murphy3
Guru

had to get back to the question part of this thread
Old 07-13-2001, 03:37 PM   #17
Murphy3
Guru

another trivia question:

what hall of fame pitcher pitched in his last game the summer of his 59th birthday?
Old 07-13-2001, 04:16 PM   #18
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

Murph was the second baseman Ryan Sandberg?

Was the pitcher Don Sutton?
Old 07-13-2001, 04:25 PM   #19
Murphy3
Guru

no, and no

even though don sutton looked that old, he wasn't near that age

sandberg was a good hitting second baseman, but he was nothing compared to the second baseman that accomplished the triple crown twice

i'll give everyone a hint....
the second baseman has a very peculiar first name
Old 07-13-2001, 04:32 PM   #20
djb
Administrator

Cal Ripken?
Old 07-13-2001, 04:44 PM   #21
Murphy3
Guru

um..this guy's stats make ripken look like a little leaguer...besides, ripken has played third and short his whole career.
Old 07-13-2001, 04:45 PM   #22
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

Is the pitcher Phil Niekro..

I'm stumped on the second baseman, and it's going to piss me off when you say it too.
Old 07-13-2001, 04:52 PM   #23
Murphy3
Guru

nope, not phil or joe niekro
Old 07-13-2001, 04:54 PM   #24
Murphy3
Guru

actually, for a hardcore baseball fan, both questions are pretty easy...
but you'll have to think a little differently to figure out the pitcher.... he's one of the most storied players in baseball history.

the second baseman, well, he's most definitely the greatest hitting second baseman of all time
Old 07-14-2001, 12:33 AM   #25
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

Rogers Hornsby
Old 07-14-2001, 12:50 AM   #26
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

dj...you're killin' me, Smalls.
Old 07-14-2001, 08:17 AM   #27
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

dj - try this one.

One of the most difficult feats in baseball is for a hitter to hit for the cycle. What is the cylce?

Who are the only players to hit for the cycle in Ranger history?
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2001, 09:49 AM   #28
Murphy3
Guru

good job flying tiger
rogers hornsby, i actually was actually pretty good friends with rogers hornsby IV...
that's gotta be amazing to be related to someone that great.

without a doubt the best second baseman in the history of ever.

Old 07-14-2001, 09:50 AM   #29
Murphy3
Guru

has their been more than one mffl?
the only guy i can think of is o.mcdowell

anyways, the answer to my other question is Satchel Paige.
what hall of fame pitcher pitched in his last game the summer of his 59th birthday?
Old 07-14-2001, 10:50 AM   #30
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

The other player was a Washington Senator
Old 07-14-2001, 10:52 AM   #31
Murphy3
Guru

Then it wouldn't necessarily be in texas rangers' history..technically
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
it would be in the history of the franchise though
Old 07-14-2001, 11:59 AM   #32
djb
Administrator

Oh man now you guys are just being mean.
Old 07-14-2001, 06:45 PM   #33
MFFL
Guru

murph - I said Ranger history not "Texas" Ranger history. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Jim King hit for the cycle on 5/26/1964.
Old 07-14-2001, 07:12 PM   #34
MFFL
Guru

dj - have you figured out what hitting for the cycle is?
Old 07-14-2001, 07:57 PM   #35
djb
Administrator

No I haven't. I don't think that's something I'd be able to guess correctly either.
Old 07-14-2001, 08:28 PM   #36
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Man dj...I'm severly dissapointed.
Old 07-15-2001, 09:24 AM   #37
Murphy3
Guru

having a single, double, triple, and a home run in the same game

and yes, you said rangers' history...they were the senators before they were the rangers....so mcdowell is the only "ranger"
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-15-2001, 11:02 AM   #38
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Ok dj, you can get this one.

What's the difference between a Perfect Game and a No Hitter?

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2001, 12:50 PM   #39
MFFL
Guru

And can you give up any runs and still have a perfect game or a no hitter?
Old 07-15-2001, 02:54 PM   #40
djb
Administrator

Ok you guys aren't getting it..I know JACK..SQUAT about baseball! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] <insert Chris Farley immitation>

Anyway, I'll take a guess though. A no-hitter is just like it sounds I think. No batter gets a hit off the pitcher. A perfect game is when the pitcher shuts out the opposing team. If I'm wrong, BITE ME! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]