Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-23-2017, 01:59 PM   #81
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, but Matthews is still going to need less minutes either way. He breaks down at the end of the season because of it. And I'm just not confident yet in that happening.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2017, 02:32 PM   #82
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond repute

Press conference with DSJ about to start

https://www.facebook.com/dallasmavs/...8765221515461/

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki is a monster of epic and unattainable proportion. Seriously, he must be stopped.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 03:00 PM   #83
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
Press conference with DSJ about to start

https://www.facebook.com/dallasmavs/...8765221515461/
Hmm, I keep getting an "address is invalid" message... Please feel free to mention any highlights to those of us who can't follow.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 03:01 PM   #84
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Hmm, I keep getting an "address is invalid" message... Please feel free to mention any highlights to those of us who can't follow.
That's weird. If you go to the Mavs facebook page you can easily find it though

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki is a monster of epic and unattainable proportion. Seriously, he must be stopped.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:11 PM   #85
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing much of substance. DSJ looks to be all business which is a good thing.

Old 06-23-2017, 03:20 PM   #86
Fragism

Fragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to behold

Cuban said Barnes has been in the practice facility pretty much every morning at 7:15am. God I love Harrison Barnes
Fragism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 03:22 PM   #87
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Dennis said he wanted to learn how to play defense the right way which is brutally honest and almost unheard of for a player to say. Said NC State didn't focus on defense much at all.

Old 06-23-2017, 03:26 PM   #88
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragism View Post
Cuban said Barnes has been in the practice facility pretty much every morning at 7:15am. God I love Harrison Barnes
No doubt, Awesome! I'd love to see him take that next step with his handles and consistent 3pt.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 03:26 PM   #89
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Dennis said he wanted to learn how to play defense the right way which is brutally honest and almost unheard of for a player to say. Said NC State didn't focus on defense much at all.
Dude is saying all the right things, I love it!

Old 06-23-2017, 03:37 PM   #90
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
As much as I'm excited for the Noel-Smith connections this year, I think a lot of people who hated on Matthews are going to be eating a lot of crow this year. The addition of Smith is going to do wonders for his game.

Matthews is a 3-D guy who was forced to drive and make plays. If he can settle in and be the kick-out guy for Smith, I see him returning to early 2016-2017 form. In December/January when he wasn't tasked with driving and posting, he was shooting 40% from three and providing some excellent defense.

I'm pretty darn excited to have Smith driving and having Noel available for the oop and Dirk, Matthews, and Curry available for the kickout jumper. That's the way the NBA is going and dear lord do we have some potentially nice shooters to surround Smith. Kid just has to live up to his potential. The good news is that he's already skilled at the PnR/PnP.
Completely agree with this Erica.

Wes can now play his natural position/role on this team and will not have to try to do too much and should be a tremendous asset.
In fact, I almost think he should be our starting SG now because he would complement Smith so well.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 03:51 PM   #91
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

I would think our local pessimist BudapestMaverick would love this pick. Haven't heard from him lately.

Old 06-23-2017, 04:18 PM   #92
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

I'm excited mini Westbrook. 48 inch vertical man can he jump. No Jrue Holliday or does it matter.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 05:06 PM   #93
Underdog

@thesmokingcuban:

"Is the ROY award a reasonable goal for you this year?" -@IsaacHarrisNBA

"I believe so" -@Dennis4Smith

Old 06-23-2017, 06:47 PM   #94
Underdog

"I'm going to go out and be Dennis Smith, and nothing can stop that." --Dennis motherfucking Smith

Old 06-23-2017, 06:57 PM   #95
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

I will gladly eat crow all year if Wes can be closer to Portland Wes with DSJ in the fold now to get him better looks. At this point all we can do is hope, because he's not going anywhere.

Also-
Quote:
More
Dennis Smith: "I pulled for the Mavs to win the title in 2011." Why? "I didn't want LeBron to win."
https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/878342965994770433

Finally a young player who isn't walking in the NBA kissing Lebron's feet.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 07:06 PM   #96
Underdog

The Dennis System

Old 06-23-2017, 07:12 PM   #97
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I love it!
Old 06-23-2017, 08:48 PM   #98
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
haha this is amazing!
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 12:35 PM   #99
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Great breakdown on why Smith has star potential...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ShLIOvum6w&t=333s

Old 06-25-2017, 08:08 PM   #100
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
I will gladly eat crow all year if Wes can be closer to Portland Wes with DSJ in the fold now to get him better looks. At this point all we can do is hope, because he's not going anywhere.
I'm right there with ya.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 09:02 PM   #101
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

https://mobile.twitter.com/Dennis1SmithJr

Check out the practice dunk someone filmed that Smith retweeted. Holy crap. I can't believe we have a dunk contest candidate on our squad.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:49 PM   #102
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post

Check out the practice dunk someone filmed that Smith retweeted. Holy crap. I can't believe we have a dunk contest candidate on our squad.
I don't think there's ever been a player in a Mavs uniform who could do that (unless you count pre-Mavs VC).

Old 06-25-2017, 10:48 PM   #103
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:

I keep getting "This media could not be played" on the twitter videos. Not sure if its my settings or why it's happening. I pause ad block and still no bueno.

Old 06-25-2017, 10:58 PM   #104
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
I keep getting "This media could not be played" on the twitter videos. Not sure if its my settings or why it's happening. I pause ad block and still no bueno.
Hmm. Not sure why. It just hit youtube, here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFWBF5QVuuM
Old 06-25-2017, 11:49 PM   #105
tap2390
Diamond Member

Want to get even more hyped about DSJ? Here's John Wall's and Derrick Rose's one-and-done seasons:

Derrick Rose
14.9 points on 47.7 FG%/ 33.7 3P%/ 71.2 FT%
5.1 FTA
4.5 RB
4.7 AST
1.2 STL
2.7 TO
29.2 MPG

John Wall
16.6 points on 46.1 FG%/ 32.5%/ 75.4 FT%
6.3 FTA
4.3 RB
6.5 AST
1.8 STL
4.0 TO
34.8 MPG

DSJ
18.1 points on 45.5 FG%/ 35.9 3P%/ 71.5 FT%
6.3 FTA
4.6 RB
6.2 AST
1.9 STL
3.4 TO
34.8 MPG

Now consider that DSJ played in the toughest conference out of the three (ACC vs. CUSA & SEC). Also, note that DSJ didn't play alongside any other NBA-caliber players.

Wall played with Eric Bledsoe, Demarcus Cousins, Patrick Patterson, Darius Miller, and DeAndre Liggins.

Rose played with Chris Douglas-Roberts and Joey Dorsey.

Finally, note that DSJ tore his ACL (full tear) a little over a year before his NC State year.

We got a steal ladies and gentlemen.

Last edited by tap2390; 06-25-2017 at 11:51 PM.
tap2390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 12:33 AM   #106
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Barnes only got to the FT line 3.6 times a game last year. I'm hopeful that he can bring that up to 5+ by having DSJ here and I'm hoping he shoots more 3's as well with all that pressure DSJ can bring. I think that could bring Barnes up to a 21ppg scoring threat. And DSJ could very easily come in and get 6+ a game, that's something we haven't had in a while. Monta never got over 6 as a mav and the last one to do it was Dirk the year we won it. So optimistically if we can get 5 from Barnes and 6 from DSJ that opens up the outside for Wes, Seth, and the GOAT. Offensively I really like what we can bring next year even with the roster as is. It's the other areas I'm hoping to see improvement. I have no idea what our rebounding numbers and defensive numbers were like after the Noel acquisition but maybe a full year of him and with easier shots on offense they can bring more energy and effort to the table on defense and rebounding. I would imagine if we get easier shots like on the break that's more energy we have on defense not to mention we can get the defense set more on made shots.

He's a steal. I like those numbers Tap.

Last edited by Bryan_Wilson; 06-26-2017 at 12:35 AM.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:16 AM   #107
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Chances that Smith is in the slam dunk contest? 100%?

Old 06-26-2017, 07:20 AM   #108
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't think there's ever been a player in a Mavs uniform who could do that (unless you count pre-Mavs VC).
Gerald Green
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:43 AM   #109
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
Want to get even more hyped about DSJ? Here's John Wall's and Derrick Rose's one-and-done seasons:

Derrick Rose
14.9 points on 47.7 FG%/ 33.7 3P%/ 71.2 FT%
5.1 FTA
4.5 RB
4.7 AST
1.2 STL
2.7 TO
29.2 MPG

John Wall
16.6 points on 46.1 FG%/ 32.5%/ 75.4 FT%
6.3 FTA
4.3 RB
6.5 AST
1.8 STL
4.0 TO
34.8 MPG

DSJ
18.1 points on 45.5 FG%/ 35.9 3P%/ 71.5 FT%
6.3 FTA
4.6 RB
6.2 AST
1.9 STL
3.4 TO
34.8 MPG

Now consider that DSJ played in the toughest conference out of the three (ACC vs. CUSA & SEC). Also, note that DSJ didn't play alongside any other NBA-caliber players.

Wall played with Eric Bledsoe, Demarcus Cousins, Patrick Patterson, Darius Miller, and DeAndre Liggins.

Rose played with Chris Douglas-Roberts and Joey Dorsey.

Finally, note that DSJ tore his ACL (full tear) a little over a year before his NC State year.

We got a steal ladies and gentlemen.
Must spread rep...
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:56 AM   #110
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

And DSJ is a much better pull up three point shooter than either Wall or Rose. BIG plus.

But he is his own specimen. You can compare him to other players until the sun comes down, but really the guy is a chameleon. He'll be Baron Davis one play, Chris paul the next play, even JJ Barea on another play. He does so many things well that you just don't know what is coming at you offensively.

Old 06-26-2017, 04:11 PM   #111
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Great article by Bobby K...

https://www.mavs.com/theres-dennis-s...d-athleticism/

Old 06-26-2017, 05:26 PM   #112
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Jesus....to think how gloomy things looked less than a year ago and how they have evolved to now is simply amazing. Thank goodness we have a great owner, GM and coach.
Smith and this team are going to be fun to watch for the next 12-15 years no matter what as long as they can stay healthy.

Last edited by rimrocker; 06-26-2017 at 05:27 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:26 PM   #113
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Does DSJ have a nickname?
Old 06-26-2017, 05:53 PM   #114
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
"Junior" is the only one I've seen so far... Dude definitely needs something a little spicier.

Old 06-26-2017, 06:24 PM   #115
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
Woodslanger

Quote:
Old 06-26-2017, 06:26 PM   #116
Underdog

Quote:
Woodslanger
Spicy.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:27 PM   #117
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

As a rookie for now: Burger
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:33 PM   #118
tap2390
Diamond Member

Quote:
Woodslanger

I lol'd.

Let's be glad there was no Twitter when we were high school freshmen.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:30 AM   #119
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Dennis Smith Jr. will be the Best Player in the 2017 NBA Draft

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/articl...2017-nba-draft
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:11 AM   #120
AO41
Platinum Member

AO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud of

I know people have thrown a lot of comparisons out there and I am not doing that. I don,t watch College Ball so I didn't know much about DSJ. But the first highlights I saw of him and the way he attacks reminded me of Westbrook, mainly the aggression and explosiveness he shows.