Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-09-2018, 06:39 PM   #321
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

It’s funny when people say that a 27 year old can’t change their game

Dirk added playing in the post at 28-30
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2018, 06:45 PM   #322
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

First you need the will to change your game. Lets see if Barnes is willing to change and adapt around Luka. Right now for the first 20 games he didnt change one bit....

I really dont know how often i saw Barnes not touching/shooting the ball for several possession. Then he gets the defensive rebound, brings the ball up and jacks up a contested pull up three with 15+ seconds on the clock just for the sake to shoot the ball before someone else can...

Last edited by sefant77; 12-09-2018 at 06:45 PM.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 08:01 PM   #323
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
First you need the will to change your game. Lets see if Barnes is willing to change and adapt around Luka. Right now for the first 20 games he didnt change one bit....

I really dont know how often i saw Barnes not touching/shooting the ball for several possession. Then he gets the defensive rebound, brings the ball up and jacks up a contested pull up three with 15+ seconds on the clock just for the sake to shoot the ball before someone else can...
Dear god, why do you think he doesn't "have the will" to change his game?

He already 100% changed his game to be a slasher when we asked him to last year. Now he's developing his ability to play off-the-ball and hit the three. His 3pt percentage leapt from 36% to 40% this year while going from shooting only 27.6% of his shots out there to almost 40% of his attempts being behind the arc . He's not only shooting more threes, he's shooting more threes and at a hugely efficient rate. 4% better percentage and almost 45% more attempts per game. That is not to be underestimated.

About the only thing that hasn't dramatically improved/changed about his game is his defense and rebounding. Dude is solid defending stringy players, but just doesn't have the frame to defend big, muscular forwards (or even centers as he's been asked to do on occasion). He isn't fantastic rebounding either, but both of those things come down to his frame and may never change.

I'm not going to say that he should be an untouchable part of our core, but I think you'd have to ignore basic stats to make the claim that he doesn't have the will to change. He's shown not only the will to change-- he has successfully done it in every way his physical toolset has allowed.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 12-09-2018 at 08:09 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:43 PM   #324
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Nice article why Barnes is a bad fit...

https://hoopshabit.com/2018/12/05/ha...las-mavericks/

I know the Mavs like him as high character guy and hard worker but he also is what he is: A ball stopper, black hole with tunnel vision, an average/below average iso scorer, plays best at the position of our new franchise player etc. Soon 27 and no, he wont change his game. I also dont see him improving his game, since he is basically the same player since he signed here 2016.

The FO is going to form the roster around Luka from now for sure. Barnes is obvious not a good fit. Makes me wonder if they are allready looking next summer to adress the issue (as example Julius Randle) to be set at the forward positions for years.
I wouldn't count him out. His 3 point shot is much improved. I have confidence when he pulls the trigger on a three. Can't have too many guys who can hit a 3 at 40% on your team.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 08:44 PM   #325
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Dear god, why do you think he doesn't "have the will" to change his game?

He already 100% changed his game to be a slasher when we asked him to last year. Now he's developing his ability to play off-the-ball and hit the three. His 3pt percentage leapt from 36% to 40% this year while going from shooting only 27.6% of his shots out there to almost 40% of his attempts being behind the arc . He's not only shooting more threes, he's shooting more threes and at a hugely efficient rate. 4% better percentage and almost 45% more attempts per game. That is not to be underestimated.

About the only thing that hasn't dramatically improved/changed about his game is his defense and rebounding. Dude is solid defending stringy players, but just doesn't have the frame to defend big, muscular forwards (or even centers as he's been asked to do on occasion). He isn't fantastic rebounding either, but both of those things come down to his frame and may never change.

I'm not going to say that he should be an untouchable part of our core, but I think you'd have to ignore basic stats to make the claim that he doesn't have the will to change. He's shown not only the will to change-- he has successfully done it in every way his physical toolset has allowed.
Agree
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 09:32 PM   #326
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly I don't love the Barnes fit either. He can shoot 3's better so that has made it work. But he does have insane tunnel vision. It's all about context to me with Barnes. I don't love Barnes at 25m a year. I would love him at 15m a year though.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 12:06 AM   #327
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I find that this Mavs team is never going to be an advanced stats darling. I've seen all kind of wonky stats that show lots of different players as a negative somehow. I chalk a lot of it up to Rick and his different lineups.

I don't think anyone is in love with Barnes, but he is generally reliable with what he brings to the table.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 01:02 AM   #328
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

A lot of the bad advanced stats come from the fact that the first ten games our starters were league-worst in five man units. Literally that unit was the worst in the league through at least 9 games.

Last 14 games we’ve been anywhere from below average to mediocre together. Despite winning a lot, it’s mostly our second unit that has been the stronger of the two with some heroics from one or two starters in the fourth (Smith and Jordan in the Clippers game, Doncic in the Rockets game)

It’s honestly impressive how well the second unit is playing despite only 100 games together and how decent the first unit is playing despite being comprised of two returning vets (one of whom is changing his game), a new vet, a sophomore learning a brand new position, and a rookie.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 12-10-2018 at 01:04 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:55 AM   #329
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
He already 100% changed his game to be a slasher when we asked him to last year.
Sorry, but Barnes is no slasher...his FTA in comparison with his usage/shots is way to low. He is pretty much past prime Carmelo Anthony on offense.

Quote:
Now he's developing his ability to play off-the-ball and hit the three. His 3pt percentage leapt from 36% to 40% this year while going from shooting only 27.6% of his shots out there to almost 40% of his attempts being behind the arc . He's not only shooting more threes, he's shooting more threes and at a hugely efficient rate. 4% better percentage and almost 45% more attempts per game. That is not to be underestimated.
Because he gets more open shots because of Doncic.

Quote:
He is average at best. He cant defend real PF like Randle, Favors etc and he gets blown by faster/smaller wings.

Quote:
He is playing the third year under Carlisle. A system based on ball movement and yet he hasnt improved his ball movement/passing one bit. If he didnt shoot the ball for longer time, you know the second he gets the ball that he is going to shoot some iso crap.

The Mavs should move on towards a real PF...

Last edited by sefant77; 12-10-2018 at 07:58 AM.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 01:09 PM   #330
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The Mavs should move on towards a real PF...
Julius Randle makes a lot of sense if they can get him.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote