Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 08-24-2010, 10:48 AM   #41
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Good job, BG !

Your show has improved. When i listened to the shows #1 and #2 i thought that the show was rolling too slow. But i didn´t want to criticise so early. I think you can work that way.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:04 AM   #42
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanDunk View Post
Good job, BG !

Your show has improved. When i listened to the shows #1 and #2 i thought that the show was rolling too slow. But i didn´t want to criticise so early. I think you can work that way.
Yeah, BG's show is coming along nicely - definitely getting better with each episode...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:54 AM   #43
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys.

Don't be afraid to critique, I need to hear different views and determine if I agree with it or not haha. But I want to hear what you have to say!

I definitely feel like it's gotten better each week. My network named me "Shark of the Month" I really don't know what the voting process is, but that means I was the best show on the network for the month, not just sports related...but out of everything they put on the airwaves.

I definitely want to keep heading in the right direction and really get rolling and at my peak when it's Mavericks time. I have VERY high hopes for that format.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:20 PM   #44
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
Thanks guys.

Don't be afraid to critique, I need to hear different views and determine if I agree with it or not haha. But I want to hear what you have to say!

I definitely feel like it's gotten better each week. My network named me "Shark of the Month" I really don't know what the voting process is, but that means I was the best show on the network for the month, not just sports related...but out of everything they put on the airwaves.

I definitely want to keep heading in the right direction and really get rolling and at my peak when it's Mavericks time. I have VERY high hopes for that format.
I still think a lack of content is the only problem with your show, but obviously the start of the basketball season will fix that (I mean, it's kind of hard to fill up two hours when all there is to talk about is slippery basketball courts, Tmac's decline and a pouty Rudy Fernandez, ya know?)

My only real critiques would be that the background music is a little too long/loud at times, which can be a bit distracting when you're talking... Also, what's up with that popping sound throughout the recording? (feel free to PM me if you need any recording tips/advice...)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:02 PM   #45
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I still think a lack of content is the only problem with your show, but obviously the start of the basketball season will fix that (I mean, it's kind of hard to fill up two hours when all there is to talk about is slippery basketball courts, Tmac's decline and a pouty Rudy Fernandez, ya know?)

My only real critiques would be that the background music is a little too long/loud at times, which can be a bit distracting when you're talking... Also, what's up with that popping sound throughout the recording? (feel free to PM me if you need any recording tips/advice...)
The popping is the network...not sure I can really do anything about that problem. I can let them know about it and see if they can fix it, but they listen to the show and know it's there....so go figure.

Now the background music, that's something I think CAN be fixed, just have to find the right level for it. I just thought it'd be a good change of pace to have it going in the background.

If I can make those subjects sound interesting for 2 hours, I can make the regular season (for the Mavs) sound pretty darn good
Old 08-25-2010, 11:43 AM   #46
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

I think the background music is good for a particular segment or two, where it fits.. back when my buddies and I did our podcasts 4 or 5 years ago, we would have a special segment each episode that was the most freestyle of all the segments we did, and we put music on behind it for the duration, and only it.

A recurring segment that's more narrative or argument driven instead of information driven is probably best as far as the music being less of a distraction.

This was years before I started listening to the Ticket and found that they do the same thing for E-News. So maybe there's something to the approach.

But no matter what, I think it's best for spot usage. Less is more.

As far as volume levels.. when I would record stuff at home, I always shot for -12dB on average, I think, for bumper music.. so if I was going to have music on behind talking I'd keep it low enough that the cumulative volume would typically be a little over -12dB with background music and a regular speaking voice on top of it. But, it's been several years, so I might be wrong on the -12dB.. not to mention differences in equipment and everything else. Based on the setup you have, find a comfortable level, keep that as your target and base the music and any other audio around it.

Last edited by Rhylan; 08-25-2010 at 11:47 AM.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:27 PM   #47
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Old 11-08-2010, 05:32 PM   #48
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

Congrats on your radio appearance, Sike !