Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 08-05-2001, 08:29 PM   #1
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

Well, it sounds like the Argentine Machine Ruben Wolkowyski is coming to Dallas. And frankly, though I know little about him, I'm pumped.

Wolkowyski is only 6-10, but is apparently strong as an ox. SuperSonics president Wally Walker had this to say about him:

"The more we saw of Ruben during the summer leagues, the more convinced we became that he is ready to play in the NBA. He possesses an intriguing combination of strength, nimble feet and soft hands."

Wolko seems big and quick, with an excellent jumpshot, solid defense, and a hard-nosed approach to the game. Nellie says that he is not afraid to knock people around a bit. It seems as if the Machine is cast in the mold of Celtics enforcer Vitaly Potapenko- if not quite as experienced or efficient. If he turns out to be two-thirds the player Potapenko is, then we've got exactly what we need- the big enforcer in the paint that Murph seems to think we don't have, and with good basketball skills and a mind for the game.

Fear, for the day of the Argentine Machine is about to dawn in Dallas.

For more info, consult this link:

Wolkowyski's name is obscure, but not his talent

And stop complaining about what Nellie and Cuban haven't done for a second, and look at all the beautiful things they HAVE done...
Old 08-06-2001, 05:01 AM   #2
Platinum Member

#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light

Where did ya hear that?
#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2001, 09:05 AM   #3
NotEnuffEyesToSee

NotEnuffEyesToSee is on a distinguished road

I think I saw him first in 96 Olympic, he looked great at that time.
anyway I wish he could help our team ...
Too many lives to lead Not enough time
It's too late
NotEnuffEyesToSee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2001, 09:26 AM   #4
Platinum Member

#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light

I don't know anything bout this guy, but if he can play some minutes he could help us...
#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2001, 09:53 AM   #5
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

Better player than Scott Williams
Old 08-06-2001, 11:19 AM   #6
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Arriba! Arriba! Viva the Machina from Argentina!!! Everything I have seen and heard about this guy makes me think of Vitaly Potapenko without the deadeye jumpshot... And that is a good thing for the enforcerless Mavs...

Old 08-06-2001, 01:54 PM   #7
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Funny, the only thing I've read about him is from Seattle fans...and to take a note from Murph, he gets pushed around more than Howard does. How good can that be for a guy his size? How come he couldn't get off there bench, it's not like they had a log jam?

How come Nelson is quoted as saying he's a solid 10 minutes a guy type?
Old 08-06-2001, 03:23 PM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

for the minutes he played, why did he rebound so poorly?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2001, 03:26 PM   #9
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

He is still learning the gringo style of basketball...
Old 08-06-2001, 07:51 PM   #10
Mavinator
Golden Member

The Machine will learn Yankee ball- give him time...

Hopefully Keith Closs will join him as a Twin Towers for the new millenium...

Old 08-06-2001, 09:35 PM   #11
JWang

JWang is on a distinguished road

On the court, Keith Closs is not as smart as Booth. But, Mavericks fans will forget Booth if Closs plays here. But, what's happening to Closs last season? All my memory was from two seasons ago.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:40 PM   #12
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

bump... I randomly came across Ruben Wolkowyski on basketball-reference.com and the name rang a bell. I thought this might help everyone stop and appreciate what the Mavs have become.

Although Bison Dele would've been money....
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 12:07 AM   #13
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Holy crap, dude. Talk about bringing back an old thread!
Old 03-28-2007, 12:10 AM   #14
endrity
Platinum Member

endrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud of

Wow, just wow. Read this again:
"Hopefully Keith Closs will join him as a Twin Towers for the new millenium..."
endrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 12:59 AM   #15
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

This is a very very old thread.. ressurected! LOL

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:08 AM   #16
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evidently, the good Mr. Wolkowyski is still having trouble learning Gringo-style basketball...

Manu and Ruben enthusiastically practicing Angentinan-style basketball upon each others' person...

Last edited by Evilmav2; 03-28-2007 at 02:24 AM.
Evilmav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 07:02 AM   #17
StackAttack
Platinum Member

StackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud of

lol I didn't check the date and thought we found someone to fill spot #15.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:10 AM   #18
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilmav2
Evidently, the good Mr. Wolkowyski is still having trouble learning Gringo-style basketball...

Manu and Ruben enthusiastically practicing Angentinan-style basketball upon each others' person...
Good grief! This is one of the top 3 all time posts on D-M.com. The first "gringo style of basketball" post above it is another. Hopefully the the flaming Bradley/Tarpley sig will never change, and I can revisit this thread whenever I'm feeling tired, bored, or am losing faith in humanity. If not, hopefully God will grant me the good fortune to retain a memory sharp enough to carry the image of those posts with me. Really, all this thread is missing is some UR CHEESE.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:15 AM   #19
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

he was the missing piece...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 11:37 AM   #20
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhylan
Although Bison Dele would've been money....
he was the missing piece.
mkat is offline   Reply With Quote