Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 07-11-2003, 09:08 AM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Clippers hire Dunleavy

Team to introduce Dunleavy on Friday

ESPN.com news services

ESPN.com's Marc Stein reported Thursday night that the Los Angeles Clippers have hired Mike Dunleavy as their new coach, replacing interim coach Dennis Johnson.

Dunleavy will be introduced in his new role at a 4 p.m. ET news conference today, but it's not yet known whether Johnson, who replaced the fired Alvin Gentry on March 3, will remain with the club.

After losing out to Jeff Van Gundy for the Houston Rockets' job, Dunleavy was also a candidate for the up-for-sale Atlanta Hawks, the only team in the league that hasn't named its coach for next season.

ESPN.com reported in mid-June that Dunleavy -- the only candidate to meet face-to-face with owner Donald T. Sterling -- emerged as the Clippers' leading candidate. The sides finally reached terms on multiyear deal after a month of on-and-off negotiations, and it's believed that Dunleavy will earn at least $1 million more per season than Gentry, who was at the bottom of the coaches' pay scale when dismissed at $1.5 million.

Returning to Los Angeles will be a homecoming of sorts for Dunleavy. In his first season on an NBA bench, Dunleavy guided the Lakers to the 1991 NBA Finals.

Dunleavy has a 398-390 career coaching record in 10 seasons coaching the Lakers, Milwaukee and Portland. He twice reached the Western Conference finals with Portland but was fired after the 2000-01 season when the volatile Blazers -- still reeling from their Game 7 meltdown against the Lakers in the previous season -- were swept by L.A. in the first round.

It remains to be seen how the Clippers fare in free agency, with Dunleavy said to be concerned throughout negotiations by the uncertain state of the team's roster. Center Michael Olowokandi and swingman Eric Piatkowski are unrestricted free agents. Elton Brand, Lamar Odom, Andre Miller and Corey Maggette are restricted free agents. All of those players have drawn significant interest from other teams.

Old 07-11-2003, 09:28 AM   #2
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

The Clips start the process again. I wonder how long it will take to churn through this coach.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 09:45 AM   #3
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Poor guy.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 10:26 AM   #4
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all
Default RE: Clippers hire Dunleavy

The sad thing is, Dunleavy is one of the few coaches that I actually like. During this past season, he called Newy and Coop alot and always had very sound advise. Dunleavy might actually get some of these guys to actually play, and not worry about their contracts.

Time will tell.

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

These are things that I read and live by!
Ummmmm Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 02:38 PM   #5
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

If anyone can right that shipwreck it's probably Dunleavy, but he has one hell of a road to go down. I agree with Doobs. Poor guy.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 03:59 PM   #6
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Dunleavy lives next to my dad. I have to go over there tomorrow. Maybe I'll go next door and try to talk him out of it.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 04:58 PM   #7
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dooby
Dunleavy lives next to my dad. I have to go over there tomorrow. Maybe I'll go next door and try to talk him out of it.
Down the road I am sure he would appreciate it.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 09:44 PM   #8
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Does he need the money?

Can't his kid carry the old man for a couple of years?
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote