Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-17-2003, 08:50 PM   #1
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all
Default Are we about to lose out on Oggy now??

From ESPN insider:

Ognjen Askrabic, PF, Yugoslavia
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the mix? Mavs, Spurs, Jazz, Nuggets, Sonics

Outlook: He's the top young free agent in Europe right now. Askrabic is the top player in the Yugoslavian league. His inside-outside game is very impressive -- he's got great range on his jumper and is tough as nails in the paint. However, he's a bit undersized to play the four and lacks the quickness to guard threes.

Insider Prediction: The Mavs have shown interest for years, but it could be the Jazz who actually land him. He could have a Gordan Giricek-type impact his rookie season.

What a fitting capper this would be for the offseason, eh?

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2003, 10:22 PM   #2
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I can't imagine why the Mavs haven't signed him yet. There aren't any other FA types who are worth even half the MLE.

Let's get SOMETHING this offseason.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 10:27 PM   #3
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold
Default RE: Are we about to lose out on Oggy now??

I won't be suprised if one of our rivals take another one of our prospects. Man, somebody take a domino out so this chain reaction can stop.
foglemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 10:30 PM   #4
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

A really good question: Why haven't the Mavericks signed him, considering how high they were on him? Why not give him half the MLE? Or more if necessary? Are you saving it for Elden Campbell???? Sheesh.

Old 07-17-2003, 10:37 PM   #5
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
A really good question: Why haven't the Mavericks signed him, considering how high they were on him? Why not give him half the MLE? Or more if necessary? Are you saving it for Elden Campbell???? Sheesh.
There isn't anyone left on the market that I would give more than half the MLE for. Surely Oggy isn't getting a better offer than THAT.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 10:38 PM   #6
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold

GOD, KG, I hope SOO!!! All kidding aside, I would take him to help us off the bench. This is all relitive if and only if we can trade for a true starting SF.
foglemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 10:50 PM   #7
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not trying to be funny, but the reason the Mavs probably haven't signed him is because of Pippen. We're still on his list.

And if the Mavs are serious about signing Daniels and possibly Powell, I can't see them signing another rookie in Oggy. 3 rookies on a Nelson team?
Old 07-18-2003, 02:18 AM   #8
Mavs_Rule2003

Mavs_Rule2003 is on a distinguished road

Pipen said NO to Mavs already. He is considering Memphis as i last read in some Espn report. And cuban is not going to offer anything more than vet minimum to him and he has offer from Bulls for MLE and Memphis for MLE or little more.(not sure!)

Mavs_Rule2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 07:42 AM   #9
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Daniels will be signed...Josh Powell won't be.

Get OGGY now.
Old 07-18-2003, 08:24 AM   #10
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

If Askrabic goes to another team, it will be truly embarrassing for the Mavericks.

Old 07-18-2003, 09:04 AM   #11
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
If Askrabic goes to another team, it will be truly embarrassing for the Mavericks.
Especially when they have invested all this time an effort over the last couple of years to get him here.
And when we finally have the money to get him we seem to be shying away.

Donnie Nelson should be in Yugoslavia right now to entice him to sign now since we still have are full MLE intact. This offseason is just so baffling to me. Why are we intent to just sit on our hands while the rest of the NBA seems to be moving forward.

I would be ok if we just get Oggy with the MLE and get Campbell for the 1.5 for depth. This offseason has been flushed down the toilet. Lets atleast come away with 3 interesting rookies in Howard, Daniels, and Askrabic.

Would anybody be in favor of that move?
Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 09:54 AM   #12
Stressboy

Stressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the rough

Here is what I would like to see:

1. Split the MLE with Raja, Oggy, Daniels, Elden Camble. Make sure on the young guys that you have the option to keep them for 3 years to get their bird rights. We don't want to be in an Arenas scenario.
2. Cut Esch. He is worthless and if you add Camble, you don't need him.
3. Sign best big man project you can find in Summer leagues/4th tier players (Powell, Alton Ford ??? what ever)

Nash/NVE/AJ/Daniels
Fin/Bell
Howard/Oggy/TAW
Dirk/Najera/Project
Raef/Bradley/Camble

See if you can swing any good deals at the deadline.

Stressboy
Stressboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 10:40 AM   #13
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

There is no need to cut Esch. If any trades are to be done he can be filler at least.

This Oggy thing is starting to piss me off. He should have been signed already. I thought the Mavs front office had all agreed on that a long time ago. Is anyone working in the GM's office at all this off season?
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 10:59 AM   #14
Stressboy

Stressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the rough

Dr.

In this current era, it is very hard to move Esch as a throw in unless it is for Nash or in some big big deal. I contend that he is the less than useless we should just eat the money in order to bring in an extra young guy to try out. Keep doing that until we get a keeper.

Stressboy
Stressboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 11:13 AM   #15
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanFinley
I'm not trying to be funny, but the reason the Mavs probably haven't signed him is because of Pippen. We're still on his list.

And if the Mavs are serious about signing Daniels and possibly Powell, I can't see them signing another rookie in Oggy. 3 rookies on a Nelson team?
Make it 4 rookies including Josh Howard.
Old 07-18-2003, 11:46 AM   #16
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough

Lets be honest here....none of us know if Oggy is an NBA player. Sure he is intriguing, but right now he is the pink elephant. He didn't make the Yugo national team last year, so we couldn't watch him in the games. I saw similar posts about Mladen a few months ago and how he would be a nice rotation player for the mavs. It has become painfully obvious that Mladen is not an NBA player. Is Oggy a better player??? Who knows, but I am surely not going to base my opinion off mr. foreign hype himself, Chad Ford.

Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote