Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 07-18-2003, 10:09 PM   #1
Tony tha Mavs fan

Tony tha Mavs fan is on a distinguished road
Default Ryan Ludwick traded to Cleveland

ST. PETERSBURG -- The Rangers sent outfielder Ryan Ludwick to the Cleveland Indians for outfielder Shane Spencer and pitcher Ricardo Rodriguez on Friday.
Ludwick had started seven of the previous nine games before Friday night. He was recalled from Triple-A Oklahoma on July 2 and is 4-for-26 in eight starts, four in left field and four in right field.

"Baseball is a game of adjustments and right now, I need to adjust," Ludwick said before the game. "But that's just hitting. Sometimes you do really well and other times you don't. You just try to be consistent."

Ludwick hit .303 with 17 home runs and 63 RBIs in 81 games for the RedHawks before being called up. He was acquired as part of a six-player deal with Oakland before the 2002 season.

"Ryan is a guy who needs to play consistently to get in a groove and that's something I have to keep in mind," Rangers manager Buck Showalter said before the game. "He is going to be a good Major League outfielder and he's only going to get better."

Rodriguez, 25, is 3-9 with a 5.73 ERA in 15 starts. He has allowed 52 earned runs and struck out 41 in 81 2/3 innings. He was originally optioned to Triple-A Buffalo on July 2, but the option was rescinded one week later when he was placed on the disabled list with a strained right groin.

Spencer is hitting .271 with eight home runs and 26 RBIs in his first 64 games this season. He entered Friday's game with a career batting average of .264 with 51 home runs and 193 RBIs.

Old 07-19-2003, 02:22 AM   #2
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Quote:
Rodriguez, 25, is 3-9 with a 5.73 ERA in 15 starts. He has allowed 52 earned runs and struck out 41 in 81 2/3 innings. He was originally optioned to Triple-A Buffalo on July 2, but the option was rescinded one week later when he was placed on the disabled list with a strained right groin.
Sounds like a Ranger to me.
Old 07-19-2003, 07:52 AM   #3
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: ocelot_ark
Quote:
Sounds like a Ranger to me.
Sounds like the staff Ace.
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 11:03 AM   #4
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

The month before he had like a 1.73 era. Come on Ocelot the guy probably was playing with injuries. Besides this is a good deal.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 03:05 PM   #5
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of
Default RE: Ryan Ludwick traded to Cleveland

How come every trade the Rangers make is a good deal? Seriously, I'm all about trying to improve, but we're giving them the keys to the city and we're trading for unproven commodites.
Old 07-19-2003, 03:05 PM   #6
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Default RE: Ryan Ludwick traded to Cleveland

How come every trade the Rangers make is a good deal? Seriously, I'm all about trying to improve, but we're giving them the keys to the city and we're trading for unproven commodites.
Old 07-19-2003, 04:10 PM   #7
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Put me down as one who hates this trade.

Ludwick could have brought a better return. I'm still not sure why they moved him out of here.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 04:00 PM   #8
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
Put me down as one who hates this trade.

Ludwick could have brought a better return. I'm still not sure why they moved him out of here.

to put next to Travis Hafner in there lineup. I wish we still had Hafner on this team. That guy will be a stud in Cleveland. It looks like were giving the Indians nice prospects and were getting back table scraps.
Spencer is a burned up retred from New York and Gonzalez can't seem to saty on the field(he should fit in real nicely on the bench next to his lone lost brother, Juan).

Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 07:20 PM   #9
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Cleveland made the deal to bolster right handed power hitting. The deal favors Texas though. Rodriguez was filthy in his first season and was one of the top blue chippers in baseball. He has had a hip injury recently that has affected his numbers, but he was nasty vs. major leaguers during his short cup of coffee in the bigs.

Ludwick ironically also had a hip injury which was once feared to risk his career. He has blistered the minors since ihs return. To sum up the trade, we got a high ceiling pitcher and replacement outfielder in the journeyman Spencer for a mid-to-high ceiling OF'er/1B/DH guy. The more I think about it, the more I like the trade. My initial reaction was based on a respect and admiration of Ludwick's efforts and drive. But, the Rangers made a solid deal here. When all else fails, pick a pitcher over a position guy. The Rangers did that here and covered any real or perceived hole by the loss of Ludwick by getting Spencer as a throw in.

Another good move by Hart, who is fast gaining respect that he has likely never had as a GM. The fleecing of Florida and the potentially high return from Chicago (due Friday) has Hart riding an all time high.

Watch for inquiries on Thomson, Valdez, Juan Gone, and Raffy soon. The trade winds are still blowing.....stay tuned.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote