Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-25-2003, 10:51 AM   #1
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Last Straw...

SHANGHAI, CHINA (AP) -- The Dallas Mavericks' inability to obtain an interior presence continues to plague them, as yet another potential source of inside help rejected the Mavericks on Thursday night.
Donald Hodge, currently a member of the Shanghai Sharks in the Chinese Basketball Association and formerly a Dallas Maverick, received a three year, $15.2 million contract offer from the Mavericks on Tuesday afternoon, as owner Mark Cuban flew to Shanghai to deliver the offer personally. Cuban said the initial talks went well, and he felt certain that a deal would be struck.

"Donald's the kind of player that could really make an impact for our team," Cuban said on Tuesday night after meeting with Hodge. "He has the ability to shoot the jumper, which Nellie likes, and I think that his increased bulk (Hodge currently weights 280 lbs) could really give us the presence we're lacking in the middle." Hodge also sounded very interested. "You know Mark Cuban. He wants to do everything he can to win, and he gives players Playstations and (expletive). You have to respect that, I think," Hodge said on Wednesday morning when questioned by reporters on Wednesday morning.

But then, a couple of things developed that thwarted the Mavericks' efforts. First, Cuban claimed that the Chinese government got involved. Cuban stated that Xiuang Liu, a coach with the Chinese National Team, apparently called Hodge and threatened to have him assassinated if he went and played for Cuban's Mavericks. "That was really low of Liu to do something like that. He knows what I'm trying to accomplish here, and it's not my fault that Zhi Zhi went AWOL last summer, is it? It's just crazy," Cuban told reporters Thursday evening. Liu and Cuban have had a strained relationship since Wang Zhi Zhi refused to report to the Chinese National Team last summer. However, Liu vehemently denied any contact with Hodge regarding a deal with the Mavericks. "I'm not mad about Zhi Zhi. He can't even get minutes with Clippers," Liu said on Thursday.

The real deal-breaker, however, was Hodge. "I just started thinking about it, and I realized that really, it's all about winning, and I have a better chance to win a title over here than I do over there," Hodge said on Thursday evening after informing Cuban that he had rejected the contract offer. "I mean, we're dominating this league, you know what I mean? Why would I want to go over there and guard Shaq and Timmy? I'll just watch them on TV. Besides, I make plenty of money over here gambling on my own games."

Cuban, who talked to reporters late Thursday after receiving the news from Hodge, was clearly devastated by the latest in a series of offseason failures by the Mavericks. "First it's Zo's agent not being honest with me and just letting me know Zo's going somewhere else. Then it's Scottie and Robert (Horry) demanding that I give them more than a one year deal. Then it's the Pacers not wanting Evan Eschmeyer and Avery Johnson for Brad Miller. And now this? I'm really confused as to what in the hell is going on around here. I think the league really has it out for me. And I don't care if they fine me for saying it," Cuban said.

The Mavericks still have a few other options left, as they are rumored to be talking with James Donaldson and Sam Perkins, two other former Mavericks, about coming out of retirement to man the post for the Mavericks next season.

DISCLAIMER: This is not an ACTUAL AP article, for those of you that were wondering.
Old 07-25-2003, 10:54 AM   #2
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of
Default RE: The Last Straw...

WHO?
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 10:56 AM   #3
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Forget Hodge, Cuban. Bring back Darren Moringstar.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 10:58 AM   #4
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

What about Scott Brooks? Wouldn't that make Nash or Nick even more expendable?

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 10:58 AM   #5
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

In a related note, it appears that the Mavericks have now initiated talks with Doug Smith and Randy White. Both could lend some help at the backup PF spot, according to the Mavs.

Doug always could run the floor well.

Old 07-25-2003, 11:05 AM   #6
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Kurt Nymphius to work with LaF on the blocks.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 11:15 AM   #7
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

http://pubweb.acns.nwu.edu/~kth260/haleyvshodge.html
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 11:23 AM   #8
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Originally posted by: aexchange
http://pubweb.acns.nwu.edu/~kth260/haleyvshodge.html
I've seen this several times before.

Classic.
Old 07-25-2003, 11:27 AM   #9
DIRK BRASIL

DIRK BRASIL is on a distinguished road

Ridiculous Players
Martin Muurseep, Anstey, Steven Smith, Tony Dumas, Eric Raley.
Old 07-25-2003, 01:16 PM   #10
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

greatness kg......[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 03:26 PM   #11
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Damn.. might as well sign Dennis Rodman and have him wear a wedding dress during games.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote