Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 07-25-2003, 08:58 PM   #1
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light
Default Cowboys Training Camp Thread

I am very excited about this. I heard the press conference today and it seems it was a record no. of media in cowboys history.

Old 07-25-2003, 09:33 PM   #2
FishForLunch
Platinum Member

FishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of light

I am glad that football season has started, so we can put that crapy baseball season behind us until the World Series. Have any of you guys listen to the HOTSPOT on Foxsports 1190 (5 - 7). Those guys are great, they love to talk Mavs Basketball and Cowboys Football. Glad there is a choice now instead of listening to those juveniles The Hardline. All they talk about is stupid baseball , body functions and boobs.
FishForLunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 10:33 PM   #3
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: FishForLunch
Glad there is a choice now instead of listening to those juveniles The Hardline. All they talk about is stupid baseball , body functions and boobs.
I don't listen to the ticket.. but those are two very good reasons for living [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

edit.. I mean three [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 08:33 AM   #4
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

Camp reality
This time, the expectations more realistic
By Clarence E. Hill Jr.
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

STAR-TELEGRAM/RON T. ENNIS
Bill Parcells might have to resort to prayer later, but it was clear Friday in his and Jerry Jones' opening training-camp address that a quick fix won't be sought.

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS/DONNA MCWILLIAM
Jerry Jones and Bill Parcells hope Cowboys players get in the end zone as easily as the team name did Friday when workmen painted it.

SAN ANTONIO - The Cowboys opened training camp at the Alamodome Friday without the circus-like atmosphere of a year ago, all-time leading rusher Emmitt Smith and playoff talk from owner Jerry Jones.

It's all part of the new era for the Cowboys that features old-school coach Bill Parcells as the star of the team and an altered philosophy from Jones.

Despite the presence of Parcells, a two-time Super Bowl champion coach, the Cowboys are not focused on a quick fix in 2003. Parcells rebuilt the Jets, Giants and Patriots franchises before replacing Dave Campo as the Cowboys coach in January.

"Why is Bill [Parcells] here?" Jones said. "He's here to instill a winning philosophy, an attitude with this team and he's here because he's done that before. Not once, not twice, but three times. Bill is here to teach -- and hopefully for a long time to come -- young men to win and develop a winning atmosphere in the locker room.

"But we didn't enter this partnership for a quick fix. This 2003 season is important because it will set a tone. We're moving into a new era in the history of the Cowboys franchise."

Parcells said his main focus is trying to get the Cowboys ready to compete in the 2003 season and, in time, restore the franchise atop the NFL. He will try to do it with rigid training camp practices and a no-nonsense approach designed to teach discipline and mistake-free football.

"My job right now, as I view it, is ... to try to restore Dallas to a highly competitive franchise," said Parcells, who expressed the same view to his players in their first meeting Friday. "But more immediately, to try to get the right 53 players on this team at the end of this camp, and try to have a vision for each one of those players as to what role they may play. And I think a coach's job is always to try to give the players a good design -- one which allows them to function -- and then to provide the impetus to get them to play with good effort and good determination."

That Jones continues to resist the temptation of making a prediction for the 2003 season is as big a part of the new era as Parcells.

The Cowboys owner, who describes himself as an eternal optimist, admits his win-now approach might have played a role in the team's three-year struggle.

The Cowboys are coming off three consecutive 5-11 seasons, and haven't won a playoff game since the 1996 season. Yet, for much of that time, Jones has shunned the thought of rebuilding and has largely been focused on retooling.

Smith's release in February not only removed the final superstar link to the Super Bowl title teams in the 1992, 1993 and 1995 seasons, but also Jones' fleeting hope for a quick return to glory.

"Most years we focused on right now," Jones said. "To me the obvious was there ... put a supporting cast around Emmitt and Troy [Aikman]. It was about the degree of fixing and degree of adjustments. I have to have a new approach now. This is a change. This is a significant philosophical change as we go from here."

Part of the change is that Parcells will have a strong say in where the Cowboys go and how they get there.

He has total control on the football field -- which is the reason the Cowboys will have a toned-down training camp in 2003. And his experience as a general manager (Jets) and Super Bowl architect (Giants, Patriots) has afforded him more influence in personnel decisions than any Cowboys coach since Jimmy Johnson.

To that end, Parcells said the bottom few spots on the roster will likely be in flux the remainder of training camp and throughout the season. There will be a continual search for young or veteran players who can help this season or in the future. As he has in the past, Parcells will get a core of 40 to 46 players. Players 46 through 53 could be shifted throughout the season, especially 52 and 53.

"I've been through this a few times," Parcells said. "The goal is to get good players, get them in condition and try to get them to play well. That is what it is. It is not more complicated than that. ... Until you get that done, you are going to suffer.

"I know we have improved the team through free agency and the draft. I think the team is in better condition. Now the question is, can we get them to adjust to our philosophy and teach them how to play to win? I'm hopeful by the end of this training camp I'll have a pretty good idea of where we can be in 2003."

Cowboys training-camp schedule

Today-Sunday

9-11 a.m., 3-5 p.m. -- practice sessions

Monday

9-11 a.m. -- practice at Burbank High School

3-5 p.m. -- practice at Alamodome

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Aug. 1

Aug. 2

9-11 a.m. -- practice session

7-9 p.m. -- scrimmage vs. Houston Texans

Aug. 3

Players off

Aug. 4

2-4:30 p.m. -- practice session

Aug. 5

Aug. 6-7

Aug. 8

9-11 a.m. -- practice session. Team then travels to Arizona for first preseason game

Aug. 9

9 p.m. -- kickoff vs. Arizona

Aug. 10

Players off

Aug. 11

Aug. 12-13

9-11 a.m. -- practice session at Burbank High School

3-5 p.m. -- practice session at Alamodome

Aug. 14

Aug. 15

Team will travel to Dallas to play Houston Texans in the first home preseason game. Kickoff is 7 p.m.

Aug. 16

Players off

Aug. 17

Aug. 18

9-11 a.m. -- practice session at Burbank High School

3-5 p.m. -- practice session at Alamodome

Aug. 19

9-11 a.m. -- Final practice, break camp

Schedule is subject to change.

Cowboys training-camp schedule

Dates: Through Aug. 19; Site: Alamodome, San Antonio
Old 07-26-2003, 01:09 PM   #5
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

I don't recall being so excited for football season to began. Our defense looks sick. Roy Will, DWood, Ross, Newman, Glover, Coakley etc. I can't wait. I'm interested in seeing how this offense runs. No more seeing bullshit games from our qbs without giving effort. There asses are on the line every game.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 03:19 PM   #6
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

Did he really say the HOT Spot is good??? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....wait...oh yeah, HAHAHAHAHA!!! DRA is the biggest spare of all time.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 10:05 PM   #7
Tony tha Mavs fan

Tony tha Mavs fan is on a distinguished road

America's team is back, the crazy amount of media coverage on the Cowboys this year is really evident. I don't remember the last time I turned on Sportscenter and saw 15 minutes about Cowboys training camp. Can't wait to see what Parcells does to this team.

Just out of curiousity who does everyone think is gonna be QB for the Boys this year?
Old 07-26-2003, 10:35 PM   #8
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Tony- I hope it's Hutch. Q-spare is the worst QB I have ever seen play. Not saying Hutch is the answer, I just can't stand to see Q-bust trying to run simple plays and looking like he is taking an exam over War and Peace.

The media love Parcells. Even though our team is middle of the pack, the media will flock to Parcells. I think getting the Big Tuna was a coup. The guy will straighten out the idiotic crapola that has defined Cowboys camp over the last several years.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 11:15 PM   #9
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all
Default RE: Cowboys Training Camp Thread

doc, weren't you preaching last year that you hoped the best QB got the job? Guess you are't going with that this year huh. Carter hating already

IMO both QBs will start this year at some point. the first will be benched either due to failure or just because Bill wants to send them the message of perform or sit down. I think Bill will truely decide who he wants to be QB about halfway through the season. Hell he might decide that they both suck and let ROMo play. It'll be a lot like last year, except the media will take Bill's side.

Hopefully whoever gets the nod 1st, plays good enough that Bill won't have to pull him, but thats very wishful thinking.
Old 07-26-2003, 11:53 PM   #10
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Carter led us 3-3. Hutch didn't do shit but shit on himself when a lineman would come after him. Props to the 300 yard game though. I give him major props however as his scouting report in baseball even said. When the game is on the line or when his back is on the wall he chokes. I would think Hutch would have the lead since he did end the season starting however Parcells is here now. We got us a real coach here. No more bs is going on now. Hopefully our O-Line will be in shape and we get our pro bowler Larry Allen back. If THambrick isn't ready to play that is going to factor into what the qb does. We have a new qb coach new offensive coordinator and a new head coach. I'm pumped. Carter should get the job.

1996-2005
Old 07-27-2003, 03:45 AM   #11
FishForLunch
Platinum Member

FishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of light

The Hotstop atleast talk Mavs Basketball and Cowboys Football. I will take David Robinson over Corby anytime. If I wanted to hear crass jokes I can always listen to Howard Stern for the real thing. Crippler you can laugh all you want but some people tune to sport talk for news and discussion on our favourite team. If I wanted other entertainment I can always turn the dial to NPR, Limbaugh or Sean Hannity.
FishForLunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 01:51 PM   #12
Drbio
Banned

Just211- you are incorrect. Q-tard has always been on my poo-list. He cannot think his way into a pair of tennis shoes. If you will re-read my post, I clearly stated that Hutch may not be the answer, but one thing I do know....Q-sucks will never be the answer. At least Hutch has a ceiling of chance.

BUT...I agree with the rest of your post.
Old 07-27-2003, 03:48 PM   #13
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

ive always been the biggest carter supporter.

he will win the starting job over hutch. no doubt about it. numerous media reports have said that parcells is very intrigued by carter's overall athletic ability and the fact he has a huge gun for an arm. he may not throw the prettiest passes, but they get to where they need to be. not to mention the fact that hutch has said he is having lots of difficulties in picking up the offense, qcar wins the battle hands down.

an interesting thing to also note is that carter is taking the vast majority of the snaps and is currently working with the first team offense while hutch works with the 2nd and 3rd string. reports out of cowboys camp is that carter has looked great this off season and hutch has had some terrible days. hutch probably has the better arm of the two, but if you have no pocket awareness and no ability to elude the rush, dan marino's arm wouldn't help anyone. hutch has an absolute cannon, but his awareness and his ability to elude my grandmother on the pass rush leaves something to be sorely desired.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 06:43 PM   #14
Drbio
Banned

bottom line is the Cowboy QB's suck eggs.
Old 07-27-2003, 08:13 PM   #15
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: aexchange
ive always been the biggest carter supporter.

he will win the starting job over hutch. no doubt about it. numerous media reports have said that parcells is very intrigued by carter's overall athletic ability and the fact he has a huge gun for an arm. he may not throw the prettiest passes, but they get to where they need to be. not to mention the fact that hutch has said he is having lots of difficulties in picking up the offense, qcar wins the battle hands down.

an interesting thing to also note is that carter is taking the vast majority of the snaps and is currently working with the first team offense while hutch works with the 2nd and 3rd string. reports out of cowboys camp is that carter has looked great this off season and hutch has had some terrible days. hutch probably has the better arm of the two, but if you have no pocket awareness and no ability to elude the rush, dan marino's arm wouldn't help anyone. hutch has an absolute cannon, but his awareness and his ability to elude my grandmother on the pass rush leaves something to be sorely desired.

I never heard any of this information. For some reason I was thinking that Hutch would start this offseason and would be taking snaps with the first team.

The Cowboys qb may suck eggs which I can agree with however for Parcells not to go out and get a vet. qb and to start Quincy says alot here. He must see something in both of these guys.

1996-2005
Old 07-28-2003, 10:15 AM   #16
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Did Antonio Bryant get hurt? I heard that at yesterday's comments by Parcell's but I can't find in the paper this morning.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 10:34 AM   #17
AnMan21

AnMan21 will become famous soon enough

Yeah, Bryant broke one of his fingers, though I'm not sure which one. Surgery was slated for either yesterday or today. It's such a bummer to see one of the few offensive sparks get injured. I haven't heard anything on the length of time he'll be out.
AnMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 10:45 AM   #18
AnMan21

I just read in the News that Antonio Bryant was already back in practice after the "procedure". I guess it wasn't serious.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:30 AM   #19
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: AnMan21
I just read in the News that Antonio Bryant was already back in practice after the "procedure". I guess it wasn't serious.

Great news.

1996-2005
Old 07-28-2003, 11:38 AM   #20
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

It was some jammed fingers and they removed bone chips. I guess it was a pretty nasty jam. Either that or we've all got a skillion bone chips flying around inside our fingers [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 09:51 PM   #21
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

if quincy carter is the starting quarterback for the cowboys, dear lord, we're in for a wasted season.

Hutch has alot of issues to work out, but throwing the ball isn't one of them. It is for QCar. that's one thing that you CANNOT overcome

and for the record, the hot spot sucks some serious @ss
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 07:32 AM   #22
AnMan21

I don't care who Bill picks for the starting Q as long as they can get us in the endzone somehow. The defense is good enough to keep the 'Boys in most games - to the point that a couple touchdowns and a field goal could possibily win. We'll see though. I will continue to say that neither one of them is worth the horse they road in on and they're definitely not the answer we need.
Old 07-29-2003, 09:21 AM   #23
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Frankly have little faith in either QB for the future. So little faith, in fact, I'd rather see Q-Car get the job so none of Hutch's incentives kick in and we can cut both of 'em sooner.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 04:27 PM   #24
sturm und drang
Golden Member

sturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura about

I don't like either of our quarterbacks, and when you combine that with an unproven, trash-talking, whiny jackass of a "running back"-- Troy Hambrick-- I smell trouble.

Our secondary will be much improved. Roy Williams is amazing. I have great hopes that Bryant has matured. Hopefully the O-line can stay somewhat healthy.

But with huge questions marks at the two most important positions, how good can we be?

Look at the bright side, though: at least the season can't possibly get off to a worse start than it did last year. Losing to HOUSTON on opening night was the most embarrassing debacle ever. We knew the season was over the day it started.
Old 07-31-2003, 05:09 PM   #25
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dooby
Frankly have little faith in either QB for the future. So little faith, in fact, I'd rather see Q-Car get the job so none of Hutch's incentives kick in and we can cut both of 'em sooner.

good point.
Old 07-31-2003, 05:09 PM   #26
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
I don't like either of our quarterbacks, and when you combine that with an unproven, trash-talking, whiny jackass of a "running back"-- Troy Hambrick-- I smell trouble.

I'm glad someone else feels this way about Hambrick. I thought I was the only one.
Old 07-31-2003, 05:24 PM   #27
sturm und drang
Golden Member

sturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura about

Nope, doc, you're not alone. I mean, where do you get off calling out Emmitt Smith when you're Troy Hambrick? It was an utterly classless, egotistical and ridiculous thing to do. The guy has never proven he can carry the load as a #1 back. He wants his chance, and as a Cowboys fan I'd be happy to see him succeed for the sake of our QB-less team. But I'm less-than-sold on him, and think you should keep the trash-talking to a minimum until, oh, you've rushed for more than 600 yards/yr.

And his brother Darren was a class act, too. I shudder just thinking about Thanksgiving at the Hambrick house.
Old 08-01-2003, 06:36 PM   #28
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

What is the deal with Larry Allen ? I heard numerous times on Espn and ticket that he is fighting and arguing but is not in a football shape yet? Also heard La Roi Glover ate him alive in practice.
Old 08-01-2003, 08:17 PM   #29
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: sturm und drang
Nope, doc, you're not alone. I mean, where do you get off calling out Emmitt Smith when you're Troy Hambrick? It was an utterly classless, egotistical and ridiculous thing to do. The guy has never proven he can carry the load as a #1 back. He wants his chance, and as a Cowboys fan I'd be happy to see him succeed for the sake of our QB-less team. But I'm less-than-sold on him, and think you should keep the trash-talking to a minimum until, oh, you've rushed for more than 600 yards/yr.

And his brother Darren was a class act, too. I shudder just thinking about Thanksgiving at the Hambrick house.

Its hard to run for over 600 yards when Emmitt is trying to break a record. I like the guy. He says whats on his mind. I respect any player in any sport who says whats on there mind because more than 80% of the players don't do it. I think the last thing on our mind should be what these guys say to the media. It should be what they do on that field and I have yet to see Hambrick given a real chance to do so. I like Wiley out of all of the backs.

1996-2005
Old 08-02-2003, 07:13 PM   #30
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I wonder if Darren ever did get that 25,000 sq ft. house after all. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 09:57 PM   #31
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

Boys kicked some Texans a$$ in the scrimmage tonite
Old 08-02-2003, 11:15 PM   #32
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

Glory days: Dallas' Allen seeks return to form
Seven-time Pro Bowl performer tries to put injuries behind him

08/03/2003

By JEAN-JACQUES TAYLOR / The Dallas Morning News

SAN ANTONIO – Larry Allen used to be best guard in the NFL. No question about it.

And it wasn't that long ago.

Just two seasons ago, he was the Cowboys' lone representative in the Pro Bowl following the 2001 season.

Now, he's an enigma.

One year after signing a six-year extension worth more than $30 million, including a $12 million signing bonus, Allen no longer dominates opponents on a regular basis – even in practice.

The Cowboys have plenty of theories but no answers.

Has Allen become too comfortable now that he's financially secure? Have shoulder and ankle injuries the last two seasons robbed him of the athleticism that made him a great player?

Has Allen's disdain for training in the off-season finally caught up with him?

At times in training camp, Allen has showed the power and explosiveness that has made him a seven-time Pro Bowl performer.

Earlier this week, La'Roi Glover beat him so badly in a pass-rushing drill that Allen flopped to the ground.

He slammed his helmet to the artificial surface with such force that the protective padding inside the helmet flew onto the ground. Then he stalked off, pacing around the end zone for five minutes until the drill ended.

A few years ago, that would have never happened.

"It's hard to come back from an injury," Allen said. "I'm doing the best I can."

Allen suffered through the worst season of his career in 2002. A high ankle sprain suffered in Week 2 and the subsequent bone spurs that developed ruined his season.

He spent the rest of the year in and out of the lineup before finally being placed on injured reserve late in the season.

"We don't talk about last year. Last year is last year," line coach George Warhop said. "Larry is doing what we ask him to do."

Allen never found a comfort zone last season.

He didn't like the zone-blocking scheme because it made him less aggressive, and he missed former line coach Hudson Houck, the only line coach he ever had and a man he respected immensely.

The Cowboys eventually moved Allen to guard, but with his ankle problems, he couldn't handle premier pass rushers such as Michael Strahan of the New York Giants and Leonard Little of St. Louis.

His days of playing tackle, where he was once named to the Pro Bowl, are over.

"I don't want to play Larry Allen at tackle ever. I think he's a guard," coach Bill Parcells said. "I think that's where he's at his best, and that's where hopefully he'll play as long as he plays here."

Allen no longer has the lateral quickness, balance or recovery skills to play tackle against the best pass-rushers the NFL has to offer. At guard, Allen doesn't have to worry about players trying to run around him.

He can get his hands on them because of the tight quarters and use his strength and power to his advantage.

"We learned a lot competing against each other and going back and forth," Glover said. "We got better. Larry has size, girth, strength, power and surprising quickness. He's overpowering at times."

Allen lost 25 pounds in the off-season to go from 345 to 320 pounds, pleasing Parcells and the coaching staff.

But Allen's cardiovascular conditioning still needs to improve. Until it does, he won't have the strength and endurance to punish defenders in the fourth quarter, when games are won and lost.

"His reputation precedes him," said Parcells, "and he has been one of the most dominant players in the league."

The question is, can Allen be that player again. Owner Jerry Jones believes he can.

He must to justify the huge signing bonus he gave Allen.

"I didn't see his confidence drop last season," Jones said. "I see him working hard and in shape, and I think he's going to be an excellent player for us."

But will he be a Pro Bowl performer?

"I wouldn't want to put that type of pressure on him," Jones said, "but it has been my experience that when Larry is healthy and in shape, he plays at a Pro Bowl level."

Old 08-02-2003, 11:21 PM   #33
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

This one play where the announcers said he knocked a guy down and that guy knocked his teammate down I thought that was all Larry's doing. In my eyes it looked like he knocked 2 guys down with his own hands. You can tell this team is a different team than was out there in the scrimmage last season. THat doesn't mean we are going to be this good in the season however I saw some good things out there comnig from a Cowboys fan. Even though it was scrimmage it still was fun for me atleast to watch.

1996-2005
Old 08-02-2003, 11:41 PM   #34
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

It was good to see football again. I did see it carefully and saw some differences in how dave Campo operated vis=avis how Bill operates it. I am too excited to see what will happen from now on. As FFM pointed out I saw a big difference in the team last year compared to the one this year.
Old 08-03-2003, 11:18 PM   #35
LordOfTheMavs

LordOfTheMavs is on a distinguished road

1. The HotSpot sucks. David Robinson is a joke. But they do talk about Mavs and Cowboys and not Rangers, so I listen.
2. The QB should be whoever 'Purcells' picks as the starter.
3. Somebody please give me the URL to a good Cowboys message board. One that is as good as this one is for the Mavs. This message board is awesome. Lots of knowledgeble fans and lots and lots of posts. I can't find a good Cowboys site though. Somebody help me please.
4. I would love it if the moderator or site owner of dallas-mavs.com would make a dallas-cows.com.
LordOfTheMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 11:55 AM   #36
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

Parcells straight on Cundiff's chances
Incumbent must improve his success rate in order to keep his job

08/04/2003

By BRIAN DAVIS / The Dallas Morning News

SAN ANTONIO – Kicker Billy Cundiff said he has not had an in-depth conversation with Cowboys coach Bill Parcells concerning any expectations.

Considering Parcells is a results-oriented coach who looks solely at the bottom line, the expectations for a kicker should be easy.

"I like it when it goes through the uprights," Parcells said, which was enough.

By Parcells' statistical standards, Cundiff's bottom line was not satisfactory in 2002. That's why the Cowboys brought UT-El Paso and NFL Europe product Ola Kimrin into camp, setting the stage for one of the Cowboys' annual training camp storylines.

Parcells said a 75 percent success rate is acceptable for kickers. If the team plays inside a dome, he aims for 80 percent. Parcells considers Texas Stadium to be like a dome.
The NFL average last season was 77.5 percent. Cundiff hit 63.2 percent (12-for-19) of his kicks during his rookie year in 2002. It was the lowest percentage for a Cowboy since Richie Cunningham hit 54.5 percent in 1999.

He missed a potential game-winning field goal against Arizona from 49 yards and a 47-yarder against San Francisco that led to another loss. But Cundiff nailed a 48-yarder as time expired to beat St. Louis and finished 8-for-10 from 39 yards and in.

Cundiff finished the season 4-of-9 (44.4 percent) on field goals that were 40 yards and out. The NFL average last season was 61.5 percent.

"We both know without having to talk to each other that if I don't do my job, he's not going to keep me around," Cundiff said. "Everything is real clear-cut when you're a specialist. You either do your job or you didn't."

Cundiff, 23, said he was able to spend more time in the weight room this off-season without many distractions. In the spring of 2002, Cundiff was busy traveling around auditioning for NFL scouts after wrapping up his career at Drake. Cundiff made 49 field goals during his collegiate days, which ranks 14th on the all-time Division I-AA list.

Cundiff also found time this off-season to settle into the Dallas area with his fiancée, Nicole. Their big day is March 20, 2004.

Right now, his days boil down to two 10-minute intervals during the special teams portion of two-a-days. Cundiff and Kimrin face off in front of the entire team and kick 27-yard field goals and stretch back into the 50-yard range.

Kicking coach Steve Hoffman said the real competition will not begin until the preseason games. Both kickers made both of their field goals in Saturday's scrimmage against the Texans.

Irwin Thompson / DMN
Billy Cundiff's 2002 field goal success of 63.2 percent is not up to Bill Parcells' standards.

Kimrin played for the Frankfurt Galaxy in 2001 and went 10-of-13 on field goals. The Swedish-born 31-year-old was picked up by the Broncos last season and captured some attention by hitting a 65-yard field goal in a preseason game. But Kimrin was cut at the end of camp, and he went back to Sweden. The Cowboys helped Kimrin secure a work visa this spring.

"All we want is a good kicker," Hoffman said. "Would we like our kicker [Cundiff] to come out of our camp? Sure. I think it's much better to be around one guy day in and day out of training camp. You know what his bests are and how he reacts when it's worse."

The Cowboys have used seven different kickers over the last 10 years. Cundiff won the starting job last season by beating out Tim Seder in the preseason.