Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 08-01-2003, 07:46 AM   #1
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice
Default Smaki Walker to join Miami

Walker is expected to join Miami today
By Harvey Fialkov
Staff Writer
Posted August 1 2003

Instead of waiting for the Clippers' next move, the Heat is about to make one of its own and sign Samaki Walker, the Lakers' starting power forward throughout most of their 2001-02 championship season.

Because of the exodus of Alonzo Mourning and the uncertain status of several of their free-agent big men, Walker, a muscular 6-foot-9, 255-pounder, will be expected to bolster the Heat's glaring deficiency at power forward and enable Brian Grant to remain at center.

The failure to land 6-9 All-Star forward Elton Brand and the increased likelihood that the Clippers will match any offer for 6-10 free agent Lamar Odom after allowing Thursday's deadline to elapse to match Denver's offer sheet for point guard Andre Miller, pushed the Heat toward Walker.

Walker, 27, an unrefined talent who has been dwarfed by the Lakers' star-studded lineup, is expected to sign for a minimal deal today.

"It's a perfect fit, just for the opportunity and the way he plays. With a coach like [Pat] Riley I think he'll thrive here," said Tony Dutt, Walker's agent who is in Miami finalizing the contract. "He had three other opportunities, but this makes perfect sense."

While Walker has been unable to hold on to a starting spot throughout his career, he has averaged five rebounds per 18 minutes, which rounds out to about 13 boards per game. Last season he burned the Heat for eight points and a season-high 16 rebounds in 33 minutes during a 106-81 Laker's win Jan. 12.

He was deemed expendable by the Lakers after they signed free-agent power forwards Karl Malone, 40, and Horace Grant, 38, while drafting 6-10 forward Brian Cook late in the first round.

Last season, Walker was hampered by a sore back and sprained ankle (missed 15 games) and was mostly used at backup center behind Shaquille O'Neal as his numbers dropped to 4.4 points and 5.5 rebounds a game.

He was ripped by Kobe Bryant for not playing hurt. During his first season in Los Angeles, Bryant punched Walker on the team bus.

"It was definitely a difficult year. That tough [triangle] offense. He tried to fit in but he'd rather let his talent do what he can do," Dutt said. "He's got his confidence back. He's definitely a starter, but he's got to earn it."

Walker, a Columbus, Ohio, native, has become familiar with the local police force. In 2000, he pleaded guilty to reckless operation of a motorcycle after being clocked at 80 mph. On July 9, he flipped his rented Ford Expedition and was partially ejected in a one-vehicle accident. He was charged with driving under the influence, failure to maintain control of a vehicle and a seat-belt violation. Dutt said that the legal issues have been resolved.

Walker still is recovering from the accident and is wearing a cast on his left wrist, his off hand. Dutt said the cast will be off and the strained wrist will be fine by training camp.

After leaving Louisville after his sophomore season, Walker, a ninth overall pick taken by the Mavericks in 1996, spent five nondescript seasons in Dallas and San Antonio before signing with the Lakers on July 20, 2001.

That season he averaged 6.7 points and seven rebounds while shooting a career-high 51.2 percent in 63 starts. However, foul trouble and inconsistent play vastly reduced his role in the Lakers playoff run to their third consecutive title.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2003, 09:14 AM   #2
sturm und drang
Golden Member

sturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura about

This is one FA signing that I feel absolutely no frustration or remorse over.
Old 08-01-2003, 09:28 AM   #3
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

I do not want any laker rejects on Mavs team.
Old 08-01-2003, 09:46 AM   #4
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Smaki Walker to join Miami

Miami must be desperate to sign guys just so they can fill out the 12 man roster.
Old 08-01-2003, 10:00 AM   #5
WayOutWest
Golden Member

WayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: mavsfanforever
So I guess you're not a NVE fan.

"Lakers hate causes blindness"
WayOutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 10:20 AM   #6
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

13th overall Mavericks mavsfanforever he was a mav reject before he was a spur and then laker reject.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 10:32 AM   #7
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally posted by: WayOutWest
Quote:
Originally posted by: mavsfanforever
So I guess you're not a NVE fan.

I am not talking about main players. Talking about sh!tty players like Samake.
Old 08-01-2003, 11:00 AM   #8
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts
Default RE: Smaki Walker to join Miami

Quote:
Walker, 27, an unrefined talent who has been dwarfed by the Lakers' star-studded lineup, is expected to sign for a minimal deal today.
How do they make to convince the players to play for the minimal? Could somebody teach us the technique, please?

Old 08-01-2003, 11:24 AM   #9
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Quote:
Originally posted by: Chiwas
Quote:
How do they make to convince the players to play for the minimal? Could somebody teach us the technique, please?

With walker, I imagined it went something like this: "Dude, you freaking suck. You have been riding the coattails of David Robinson, Tim Duncan and Shaq for too long and now even they don't want you. If you don't take our minimum deal right now, you'll end up playing ball in Turkey! Or worse, Utah!"
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 11:35 AM   #10
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dooby
Quote:
Quote:

With walker, I imagined it went something like this: "Dude, you freaking suck. You have been riding the coattails of David Robinson, Tim Duncan and Shaq for too long and now even they don't want you. If you don't take our minimum deal right now, you'll end up playing ball in Turkey! Or worse, Utah!"
You got it!
uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 12:57 PM   #11
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dooby
Quote:
Quote:

Let's make a try with Raja, teacher. How would it be?