Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 08-04-2003, 11:25 AM   #1
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all
Default Okay I am going to come clean and answer the questions I have been asked in PM.

The reason I stopped posting the last 2 weeks is because I got fired on July 28th. I made a bad decision and it came back to bite me on the ass. I got tired of working 80 hours a week so back 4 months ago I cut my hours back to 50-60. I was hoping they would see that they need to hire another person to assist me in my work. They didn't. All they saw was that errors were being made and I was the culprit. They fell to realize that it was because I wasn't working 80 hours a week. That was part my fault as I should of either continued working the hours, or spoke up and told them what I was doing before it was too late. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

I have worked for the company for (7) wonderful years, and it sucks to have ended this way. I was responsible and partly in control for a division that had over (8) stores, (11) salesman, and (16) Million a year in sales.

I am only telling this because people was wondering where I have been. Do not feel sorry for me as I am not sorry for myself. I have kept my head up during this whole ordeal, and I expect my friends on here to do the same. I will find a job again *hopefully enough to cover my mortgage payment* and will be back to posting in here in no time.

p.s. Anybody know any good jobs available in North Fort Worth for a bright, young sales/inventory coordinator? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

These are things that I read and live by!
Ummmmm Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2003, 11:27 AM   #2
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light
Default Okay I am going to come clean and answer the questions I have been asked in PM.

Old 08-04-2003, 12:02 PM   #3
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts
Default RE: Okay I am going to come clean and answer the questions I have been asked in PM.

Work is overrated. It only gives money, wrinkleys and grey hair or not hair at all.

If D-M is in conflict with your work, leave your work.

Well done.

Old 08-04-2003, 02:23 PM   #4
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

You are in our prayers. Best of luck to you. I'm sure you will bounce back well.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 05:20 PM   #5
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

well said Doc.
yea,i really do hope things turn up for the best,its never easy watching bad things happen to good guys.
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 05:57 PM   #6
Chiwas
Guru

Default RE: Okay I am going to come clean and answer the questions I have been asked in PM.

Changes are for improving.

He will be ok. I know.

Old 08-06-2003, 01:45 PM   #7
dalmav1341-2

dalmav1341-2 is on a distinguished road

Ummy, we still have that coaching job open for you at the Mavtalk Soap!!!! Miss ya over there....
Good luck. you'll be ok...
dalmav1341-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 02:49 PM   #8
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: dalmav1341-2
Ummy, we still have that coaching job open for you at the Mavtalk Soap!!!! Miss ya over there....
WHAT THE ... ??! THIS ISN'T ME!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]
Old 08-06-2003, 02:52 PM   #9
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

smiles.... This person only has 3 posts but has been a member since March. You would think he/she has learned by now that NO ONE USES THE CANDY CANE EXCEPT SMILES!!!!!!

The confusion is overwhelming.
Old 08-06-2003, 03:06 PM   #10
Chiwas
Guru

Everything has to change.

Even veruca had to change to the english teacher's.

The new one suggested for Smiles:

(It is the only remaining. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img])
Old 08-06-2003, 05:35 PM   #11
dalmav1341-2

dalmav1341-2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: smile_at_me10
Quote:
WHAT THE ... ??! THIS ISN'T ME!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]
Hey hey, sorry about that!!!! I wouldn't want to come between you and your candycane!!!!!haha MY mistake...Yes, I usually just read here, not post....
dalmav1341-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 06:02 PM   #12
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by: smile_at_me10
Quote:
Hey hey, sorry about that!!!! I wouldn't want to come between you and your candycane!!!!!haha MY mistake...Yes, I usually just read here, not post....
Oh thank you! How very kind of you - being so compliant. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I appreciate you humoring me. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Thank you. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-06-2003, 08:27 PM   #13
Chiwas
Guru

Smiles got stuck with the candycane.

Bye bye opportunities.
Old 08-15-2003, 10:02 PM   #14
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all

Okay I got some great news, just don't wanna get my hopes up too much. But today I had a 3 1/2 interview with a company and in the near future I might be selling life insurance to union members. I will get my 2nd interview either Monday or Tuesday, than probably my final interview middle to end of the week. The only catch of course is that I have to take a state test to get my group 1 licence to sell life and health insurance that will cost me $150.00. But if I sell just one day, 5 days a week, I will make anywhere from 5-6000 a month.

Only thing I have to ask. Anybody ever went into sales for the first time with no base salary and living off of full commission?

How hard was it at first?

Let me know, because I am really curious. I won't be able to check this site until either early Sunday or late Sunday Night.

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

Old 08-15-2003, 10:10 PM   #15
Drbio
Banned

Umok- I did a little sales but it was draw versus commission. I was guaranteed a base salary.
Old 08-15-2003, 11:51 PM   #16
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Ummmmm Ok
Okay I got some great news, just don't wanna get my hopes up too much. But today I had a 3 1/2 interview with a company and in the near future I might be selling life insurance to union members. I will get my 2nd interview either Monday or Tuesday, than probably my final interview middle to end of the week. The only catch of course is that I have to take a state test to get my group 1 licence to sell life and health insurance that will cost me $150.00. But if I sell just one day, 5 days a week, I will make anywhere from 5-6000 a month.

Only thing I have to ask. Anybody ever went into sales for the first time with no base salary and living off of full commission?

Let me know, because I am really curious. I won't be able to check this site until either early Sunday or late Sunday Night.
It varies. If you have contacts that can throw business your way then everything can work out. It is difficult to make it during first 6 months if you don't have a network of contacts already established.

Is the office going to give you a chance to sell new customers calling in or do those customers go to the established agents?
MFFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 06:53 AM   #17
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Actually the company has a 3rd party company that talks to the union members for them. I would be getting anywhere from 3-6 leads a day. I will have to do NO cold calling or prospecting what so ever.

Old 08-16-2003, 10:12 AM   #18
Smiles
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Ummmmm Ok

I'm somewhat familiar with the industry - though I was not in direct sales.

The test: You'll have no problem. I think the test (in Texas) includes 2 days of class time, and then some independent study time. There is a lot of potential for monetary success in this line of work - especially if you have an interests in and a knack for sales.

Having leads is the biggest thing. What % of their leads turn into sales? It's 2% for cold calling.

Is $150 all it will cost you?

Do you have to make a quota?

Can you do other work on the side?

Do you have to sign an exclusivity agreement with this one insurance company?

Are their ownership options?

How do you feel about the various types of insurance....this is actually a huge question...
Old 08-16-2003, 11:38 AM   #19
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

I have about 5 years of experience in sales so I will try to give you a little advise.

Straight commission jobs can be awesome or terrible. So do your research. Before taking the position demand 3 things

1. The chance to discuss the opportunity with a couple people in the same position you will be in.

2. The chance to ride along with one of the reps

3. Ask to see a pay stub of a couple people who are making 5-6k a month

If the company and opportunity is legit they should have no problem sharing all of this info with you. In fact I think it will likely impress them that you are taking the oppportunity seriously and doing your due diligence.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 11:57 AM   #20
Smiles
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: grbh
I have about 5 years of experience in sales so I will try to give you a little advise.

Straight commission jobs can be awesome or terrible. So do your research. Before taking the position demand 3 things

1. The chance to discuss the opportunity with a couple people in the same position you will be in.

If the company and opportunity is legit they should have no problem sharing all of this info with you. In fact I think it will likely impress them that you are taking the oppportunity seriously and doing your due diligence.
GREAT Point!

It's actually a point of pride -for the companies with reps doing this well- to show pay stubs reflecting their income. It is not inappropriate in this industry. Don't hesitate to ask. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-16-2003, 09:03 PM   #21
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Quote:
While I was waiting I talked to a guy that has been with the company for about 10 months and he says he makes anywhere from 800-2000 a week. Also the guy I interviewed with, he started with the company back in April of last year and has already gotten promoted 3 times. So I am taking it as if you want to move up in management, you have to "want" to do it.

Quote:
The way he explained it was. I will spend the first week in the office learning how the computers work, more about the system, and getting some hands on training. I than will spend the next 3 weeks in the field making sells with the person I do my 2nd interview with.

Quote:
Actually this probably won't be a problem. If I ask, he will probably just show me his.

Old 08-19-2003, 06:04 PM   #22
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Had my 2nd interview today and I got a job baby! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

It was nice pulling up to the place today with alot of the salesman there. I think the cheapest car I saw there was a 1999 Benz. (well didn't include my car) So the future looks very very promising. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I have to spend the next 7-8 days training for my group 1 life and health insurance test, than do my one week of training there in the office and than I can start selling life insurance. I am really pumped up about this, but scared as shit as well. But I like it because they tell you what to say and when to say it so it should be hard at first, but once you get it all down, the sells should come pretty easy. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Oh and btw, if anybody wants to donate to the UMMMMM OK MORTGAGE fund, just send me a check. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-19-2003, 07:15 PM   #23
Chiwas
Guru

Congratulations, UmmOK.

You won't have to be worried for the mortgage and will have a 2004 M. Benz soon.
Old 08-19-2003, 07:54 PM   #24
southern_sweets
Diamond Member

southern_sweets will become famous soon enoughsouthern_sweets will become famous soon enough

WTG on your J O B!!!

I hope you make big bucks and remember your friends at D-M.com. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
southern_sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 08:18 PM   #25
Drbio
Banned

Well done Umok. Congrats!!!!
Old 08-20-2003, 12:09 PM   #26
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Good Luck UMMMMM...but be careful...there are a lot of pitfalls in that type of work...I have several friends who got burned prett badly...even after doing all of their "due diligence".
Old 08-20-2003, 02:28 PM   #27
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Oh I am a little worried about it, but if I don't than I will always look back and regret not trying. Its a challenge no doubt, but every job I have taken was a challenge and in the end I mastered it. I am taking this job as just another challenge in my life. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Besides if it doesn't work out, I can go work for my dad in the spring when his business picks back up. Surely if in 8-9 months I am not making money, than I will never make money doing it.

p.s. Anybody ever taken the Group 1 Life and Health Insurance test? Whoever said (I think Smiles) said it wasn't a hard test, lied. lol I never knew there was some many damn life insurance policies. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]