Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 08-12-2003, 09:37 PM   #1
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Barry Bonds hits homers 649 & 650

Holy Cow. This guy is awesome and barring some freak injury will be the all time homer run leader within 1-2 years.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2003, 09:41 PM   #2
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

He is too good. As soon as he hits you can tell that its going a long way. He is on pace to hit 60 Hrs this year.
Old 08-12-2003, 09:59 PM   #3
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all

It is too bad that his unbelievable "jerkdom" will prevent me from enjoying watching him as much as I should.

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 10:01 PM   #4
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road

woohoo yay for HGH
Old 08-12-2003, 10:01 PM   #5
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: Hitman
It is too bad that his unbelievable "jerkdom" will prevent me from enjoying watching him as much as I should.
I understand this, but to me he has mellowed quite a bit in the last two years.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:22 AM   #6
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

If I could just get over the fact that he is a steroid user, that would really brighten my view of Bonds. No doubt the man is awsome, but that really does bother me that he isnt natural. I have baseball cards of the man in a Pirates uniform. He might have been 185lbs if lucky. And his cap size was a bit smaller too? Hmm..growth hormone + steroids is a deadly combination to put on 50lbs of muscle...

Hopefully ten years down the road, Griffey, AROD or someone natural will break Bonds record..i can only hope...
Old 08-13-2003, 08:36 AM   #7
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Barry Bonds hits homers 649 & 650

griffey is too far behind because of his injuries. if he could get healthy, he may be able to do something, but i doubt it. AROD, possibly. but AROD doesn't look all-natural to me either.

ok, i have a question. sure, steroids makes you stronger, but can it actually help you hit a baseball? last time i checked, steroids don't improve hand-eye coordination. (but hey, i've been wrong before. maybe they do). i do think bonds is on something, but i don't think just beign on steroids has helped him hit that many homers.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:56 AM   #8
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

NO STEROIDS dont help you hit the baseball, they help you hit the baseball FARTHER. Its really simple. I never said BONDS wasnt awsome, he is. BUT- steroids can make a swing that would travel 350feet now travel 400 feet (just an estimate). Over the course of a year, that can make a huge difference in home run totals. Maybe a natural year Bonds hits 40, now with the juice he can hit 60? Of course this is just my opinion, but I know I am not far off.. It makes good players great, great players hall of famers.... an average joe like myself will still just be an average joe on roids....simple
Old 08-13-2003, 08:59 AM   #9
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
an average joe like myself will still just be an average joe on roids....simple
Yep. Here is the crux of the argument. reeds hits dead on when he states that they can make you hit it further. But he is equally correct in saying that Bonds is awesome. His ability to make contact is so much better than anyoen else in the world. He crushes the ball sure, but his contact ability is what makes him one of the greatest players in the history of the world.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:00 AM   #10
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Barry Bonds hits homers 649 & 650

obviously it helps him hit it farther. but as ted williams said, "the hardest thing to do is hit a baseball" i am basically saying steriods alone do not allow him to hit home runs. (sounds like we are agreeing... holy crap! someone is agreeing with reeds! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] )
Old 08-13-2003, 12:12 PM   #11
Rod1975
Golden Member

There were/are plenty of great hitters, but not as many can hit the long ball.
Bonds being on the juice, he turns what would be many many long fly outs in to many many homers.
He's a great hitter sure, but so was Harmon Killebrew, Ted Williams, Mickey Mantle, Willie Mays and Hank Aaron and The Babe, but I'll guarantee you they were'nt all f'ed up on HGH and roids.
Thats without even mentioning the weak pitching in the Majors as a whole right now.
Barry is great sure, but he has taken alot of shortcuts to get there.
It's totally uninspirational what Bonds is doing.
Old 08-13-2003, 02:34 PM   #12
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

We may not realize it right now that we are seeing one of the fiercest hitters in baseball. I am sure in about 30 years people will talk about this and realize what a great hitter bonds is.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:16 PM   #13
Rod1975
Golden Member

great hitter yes
one of THE greats?.....no