Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 09-12-2003, 07:43 PM   #1
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Malone talks poop about Reggie

Miller's Needle Not Sharp to Malone

By Tim Brown, LA Times Staff Writer

A month after Karl Malone and Gary Payton made their cut-rate deals with the Lakers, sacrificing cash for the opportunity for an NBA title, Reggie Miller re-upped with the Indiana Pacers, for whom he'd played his entire career. Miller then proclaimed a purity of purpose and organizational devotion.

"I didn't want to be like some other guys," Miller said, "who jump on another team's bandwagon just to get a ring."

Take that, fellas.

"If I was coming in here and playing 10 minutes a night, that's riding a coattail," Malone said. "I'll tell you what, I wasn't pulling against the Lakers, but it made my decision a lot easier when they didn't win. When I heard Reggie make his decision, I like Reggie and I won't elaborate, but I'll say this: He had opportunity to do what I did and take less money. But he chose to make more money and stay where he was at. So, God bless him and God bless me."

Miller, who earned $12 million with the Pacers last season, agreed to a two-year contract for about $5 million per season. It is believed the Lakers offered Miller the same deal they did Malone and Payton: Play for less, earn more.

"At some point, somebody had to make some statement to say it's not all about the money all the time," Malone said. "Now, I don't want to hide the fact it wouldn't have been nice to make $10 million a year. Don't get me wrong. But how is that to the regular fan now?

"But, Reggie, Reggie stayed in Indiana for the money. He stayed for the money, I didn't. So let him keep talking. I did hear, 'I'm just glad to end my career where I started.' Reggie, just say you stayed for the money."
Old 09-12-2003, 10:40 PM   #2
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

Oh, I feel a cat fight coming on. I think Miller stayed in Indiana because of the city and he didn't wanna retire in a different jersey, what Malone should of done.
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 09:34 PM   #3
mavsman

mavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to behold

What a loser Malone is. Couldn't retire in the uniform of the team that drafted him like Reggie will, but will retire without a ring just like him. Go break that scoring record with Kobe and Shaq on your team, big boy. Hang around til you're 53.
mavsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 01:11 AM   #4
Shaq Attack2

Shaq Attack2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: mavsman
What a loser Malone is. Couldn't retire in the uniform of the team that drafted him like Reggie will, but will retire without a ring just like him. Go break that scoring record with Kobe and Shaq on your team, big boy. Hang around til you're 53.
Who cares? Malone could easily get his ring, and as a 35 ppg starter he'll get lots of credit. If Malone were on the Mavs you wouldn't be saying the same thing, admit it.
Shaq Attack2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 08:48 AM   #5
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light
Default RE: Malone talks poop about Reggie

Actually I am with Malone on this. He really sacrificed a lot of money to win a ring. He would be earning 18.5 mil this year if he did not go to lakers. I have a lot of respect for Malone. He is the greatest power forward in the history of NBA.
Old 09-14-2003, 11:14 AM   #6
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Malone would have been earning $8M tops. In fact that was the figure that he wanted to stay with the Jazz but the owner balked.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 03:08 PM   #7
Shaq Attack2

Quote:
Originally posted by: MFFL
Malone would have been earning $8M tops. In fact that was the figure that he wanted to stay with the Jazz but the owner balked.
And who'd you hear this lie from? [img]i/expressions/rolleye.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2003, 05:10 PM   #8
mavsman

mavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to behold

Then we just have to disagree, mavsfanforever. I am completely with Miller on this. When some band like REM or U2 play concerts for charity instead of taking their usual half million, some people take it for granted, others say "that PC-thing is making me sick". But when the "greatest power forward ever", (who, unlike the greatest point guard, center or shooting guard ever, never won a championship, how great is that?) wants to complete his ego-trip by bandwagoning his way to a ring, he is making "sacrifices"? Not in my book.
mavsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 05:49 PM   #9
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Shaq Attack2
Quote:
I read the NBA sections.

Try it before you make smart ass comments.
Old 09-14-2003, 08:58 PM   #10
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Short bus passenger strikes again....[img]i/expressions/rolleye.gif[/img]
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 04:15 AM   #11
Shaq Attack2

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I read the NBA sections.

Try it before you make smart ass comments.
I have tried it, and unfortunately you're totally misinformed. Malone didn't want less than $8 million, yes, but no where have I read that Miller balked at that idea.

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
Short bus passenger strikes again....[img]i/expressions/rolleye.gif[/img]
And the homer strikes again...
Old 09-15-2003, 07:38 AM   #12
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Malone didn't want less than $8 million, yes, but no where have I read that Miller balked at that idea.

Title or a Paycheck?

By Phil Miller
The Salt Lake Tribune

Jazz owner Larry Miller believes Karl Malone's decision on whether to stay with the Jazz or go elsewhere next season has little to do with money.

Malone's agent isn't so sure.

Staying with the Jazz would mean "giving up his dream of winning a championship," Dwight Manley said -- a sacrifice for which Malone would expect to be compensated. But Miller said the team's eventual contract offer to the 18-year veteran will reflect the realities of the current NBA marketplace and the Jazz's budget plans.

"We won't overpay," Miller said. "We can't."

That means the team plans to offer a contract worth more than what Malone's other likely suitors offer -- but only marginally so. And since virtually every NBA team is over the league's salary cap and therefore restricted to spending no more than the mid-level cap exception -- worth the league's average salary, expected to be set in July at slightly

below $5 million -- the Jazz's offer will be in that range, too, Miller said. That represents a radical cut from the $19.25 million Malone earned last season.

"We have the first opportunity in the history of the team to go out and sign free agents who will make a difference," Miller said. "We want to do that and also bring back Karl to finish his career in Utah. We can do both, but it's tight. We have to be careful with our money to accomplish what we want, to keep this team competitive, and Karl understands that."
The Jazz owner said he heard a television report last week that said the team planned to offer Malone around $7 million a year, but "I don't know where that number came from," he said. ">>>>We're not going to go that high. I'd walk away before I spent $7 million<<<<. . . . We owe it to the franchise to be realistic about the marketplace, and the reality is [that teams can offer] the mid-level exception."

Does he worry that Malone would be insulted by a low-ball offer from the team for which he has averaged 25.4 points a game for 18 years?

"Not really, because Karl understands what we are trying to do," Miller said. "He knows we are trying to consider his interests and treat him with the respect he deserves and that he has earned, while also balancing our need to rebuild. We have been honest with him about this summer."

The Jazz have not put a dollar value on their offer, though. "They haven't come to me with any offer," Manley said. Miller's balking at $7 million, then, came as a surprise to the agent.

"If he said that, then that would make it very difficult" for Malone to re-sign with the Jazz, Manley said.
After all, the agent pointed out, "that's less than what they paid John Stockton" for his final two seasons. Stockton made about $8 million a year in that span.

Miller acknowledged Malone was underpaid during much of his career, which is why, he said, Miller agreed to pay Malone the maximum contract -- $66 million over four years -- once the lockout ended in 1999.

"We never tried to hide the fact that he had sacrificed, perhaps, for the good of the franchise," Miller said. "And so I had an obligation to make it up to him. I stepped up and did that."

Now Malone's considerations, Miller said, involve how he wants to finish his career, whether he wants to uproot his family, and how badly he wants to go elsewhere to pursue a championship.

"Certainly, money is part of his calculation, but not a big one," the owner said. "I don't think it's the driving factor."
He had better hope not.

Three other Manley clients -- Bryon Russell, Donyell Marshall and Olden Polynice -- left the Jazz as free agents in recent years because they wanted more money than the team was willing to pay.

Old 09-15-2003, 08:57 AM   #13
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold
Default RE: Malone talks poop about Reggie

Nice article EvilMav. Care to respond Shaq Attack?
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 09:25 AM   #14
MFFL
Guru

I doubt if he'll be back to THIS thread.

Thanks evil, I wasn't going to bother finding it but that was the EXACT article that I was thinking about.
Old 09-15-2003, 06:22 PM   #15
Shaq Attack2

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
Yeah, I was totally wrong. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for the link Evilmav.
Old 09-15-2003, 06:24 PM   #16
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Quote:

Seems to be a trend.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 08:28 PM   #17
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Quote:
Yeah, I was totally wrong.

Hey, no problem Attack... I never saw that particular piece of information anywhere but the Salt Lake Tribune and Deseret News, and obviously those are some pretty obscure news sources. Before Malone indicated an interest in joining LA, I just don't think the national media was paying much attention to the ugly breakdown in relastions between Malone and the Jazz over the last year or so...
Old 09-15-2003, 08:34 PM   #18
Shaq Attack2

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
Quote:
Quote:

Seems to be a trend.
Yeah, but at least I admit when I'm wrong...

Quote:
Originally posted by: Evilmav2
Quote:
Yeah, I was totally wrong.

Hey, no problem Attack... I never saw that particular piece of information anywhere but the Salt Lake Tribune and Deseret News, and obviously those are some pretty obscure news sources. Before Malone indicated an interest in joining LA, I just don't think the national media was paying much attention to the ugly breakdown in relastions between Malone and the Jazz over the last year or so...
Yeah, I was surprised to see that too. Knowing Stockton got $8 mil his last year (or last two years) I would have thought that Miller would have given Malone at least that much. Perhaps he wasn't willing to ante up the dough with Stockton gone, as Malone obviously wouldn't be as effective without Stockton since they've been playing with each other their entire careers and because Stockton is probably the best passing PG in history. Actually, knowing for a fact that Malone wanted a good deal of money after the lock out (and got it), perhaps Miller was bitter, who knows.
Old 09-15-2003, 08:56 PM   #19
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Quote:
Yeah, I was surprised to see that. Knowing Stockton got $8 mil his last year (or last two years) I would have thought that Miller would have given Malone at least that much. Perhaps he wasn't willing to ante up the dough with Stockton gone, as Malone obviously wouldn't be as effective without Stockton since they've been playing with each other their entire careers and because Stockton is probably the best passing PG in history. Actually, knowing for a fact that Malone wanted a good deal of money after the lock out (and got it), perhaps Miller was bitter, who knows.
As far as I can understand it, from what Miller and Malone said in the press, Malone was insulted that the Jazz didn't offer him a similar offer to Stockton's as an extension last year, and that seemingly led to a war of words between Miller and Big Karl...

I actually tend to think that at one time Big Karl wanted to win the scoring record in Salt Lake City, and enjoy the benefits of a possible last-year send off tour (I read a Deseret News article a while ago that had Karl talking about how much he would love to have a last year, retirement tour like Jordan did), but his pride was insulted by the Jazz's wish to take advantage of his expiring salary to pursue younger free-agents...

Throughout last Spring, Malone engaged in making a series of derogatory comments referring to Miller and the Jazz, and I think that his escatlatingly bad feelings about the Jazz, and the alternately cold and angry reactions of Larry Miller to Malone's public comments, helped to boil whatever bad blood had been pooling since the Jazz declined to re-sign Malone to that early extension... It seems cogent that this would make Malone more likely to consider finishing his career elsewhere, and this was made very evident as he made comments to Eddie Sefco of the Dallas Morning News stating that the Mavs were at the top of a "very short list" of free agency locations, and at the same time he made numerous comments referring to his desire to possibly join the Lakers...

Of course, the Mavs made what I think was a disastrous decision to loudly and publicly pursue the bleeding kidney's of Alonzo Mourning at the beginning of the free-agency period, and I think that ultimately that left the Lakers as the only realistic suitors for the services of Big Karl (as well as injured Malone's pride- and there was a particularly revealing article in the Deseret that outlined Malone's bitterness about being spurned by the Mavs and other teams a day or two into free agency)...

Anyway, the Malone situation was certainly interesting, and it may be the pivot upon which next year's championship may turn...
Old 09-15-2003, 09:01 PM   #20
Shaq Attack2

Quote:
Originally posted by: Evilmav2
Quote:
Yeah, I was surprised to see that. Knowing Stockton got $8 mil his last year (or last two years) I would have thought that Miller would have given Malone at least that much. Perhaps he wasn't willing to ante up the dough with Stockton gone, as Malone obviously wouldn't be as effective without Stockton since they've been playing with each other their entire careers and because Stockton is probably the best passing PG in history. Actually, knowing for a fact that Malone wanted a good deal of money after the lock out (and got it), perhaps Miller was bitter, who knows.
As far as I can understand it, from what Miller and Malone said in the press, Malone was insulted that the Jazz didn't offer him a similar offer to Stockton's as an extension last year, and that kind of led to a war of words between Miller and Big Karl...

I actually tend to think that at one time Big Karl wanted to win the scoring record in Salt Lake City, and enjoy a possible last-year send off tour (I read a Deseret News article a while ago that had Karl talking about how much he would love to have a last year, retirement tour like Jordan did), but his pride was insulted by the Jazz's wish to take advantage of his expiring salary to pursue younger free-agents...

Throughout last Spring, Malone engaged making a series of derogatory comments referring to Miller and the Jazz, and I think that kind of boiled whatever bad blood had been accruing since the Jazz declined to re-sign Malone to an early extension... This certainly make Malone more likely to consider finishing his career elsewhere, and this was made evident as he made comments to Eddie Sefco of the Dallas Morning News stating that the Mavs were at the top of a "very short list" of free agency locations, and at the same time he made numerous comments referring to his desire to possibly join the Lakers...

Of course, the Mavs made what I think was a disastrous decision to loudly and publicly pursue the bleeding kidney's of Alonzo Mourning at the beginning of the free-agency period, and I think that ultimately that left the Lakers as the only realistic suitors for the services of Big Karl (as well as injured Malone's pride- and there was a particularly revealing article in the Deseret that outlined Malone's bitterness about being spurned by the Mavs and other teams a day or two into free agency)...

Anyway, the Malone situation was certainly interesting, and it may be the pivot upon which next year's championship may turn...
Good info, I didn't realize that Karl's blood was boiling well before the recent Laker acquisitions. Seems to me that Miller could've kept Karl out of LA if he had just offered him enough money to stay in Utah, be it $8 mil or more. Karl has always kind of pissed me off, but his work ethic is so inspiring that I kinda forget about this obvious character faults.