Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 09-29-2003, 01:22 PM   #1
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all
Default Ogbogu

from Dallas cowboys .com
"Protecting His House"

Cowboys defensive end Eric Ogbogu is one of the most visible players on the roster. It's just that most people don't realize as much.

While Ogbogu is mostly a backup, he gets major face time starring in a commercial for Under Armour athletic apparel. In the TV commercial, it's Ogbogu who stands in the middle of several players, shouting "We Must Protect This House."

While he stands out in the commercial, he had a standout performance against the Jets, whom he played for in 1998.

Ogbogu forced a fumble in the second quarter, which the Cowboys converted into their first touchdown. Ogbogu also had four tackles.

And it was Ogbogu who could be heard screaming "We must protect this house" as he was entering the Cowboys locker room after the game.

interesting. I was actually wondering who that guy was, and if he was a pro. Now i know.
And, do you think he is the only Cowboy with a commercial? Other than Roy Williams, in the Madden commercials?
Old 09-29-2003, 02:05 PM   #2
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold
Default RE: Ogbogu

I was screaming for Ogdubu to get more playing time yesterday. He had two great plays: One in which he forced a fumble, another in which he single handedly disrupted a reverse.

I have heard no one in the media mention how absolutely terrible our pass rush was yesterday. I don't think Testaverde was touched once the entire game. It was disgusting. I know it's not acceptable to criticize after a loss, but Ellis and Ekuban are the two worst starting defensive ends in the league. There is no reason for Ekuban to be starting in the NFL. No reason at all. Why not let Ogdubu run a few more plays? He can't do much worse than what we've seen from our DE the last three years. From what I've seen of him, he makes plays.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 02:15 PM   #3
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm listening to the press conference and Bill agrees. He wants to get Ogbogu more plays
Old 09-29-2003, 02:57 PM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ogbogu

i've stopped mentioning the pass rush for one reason..it beats me down to mention it..i've been bitching about it for so long..even longer than i bitched about j-ho or NVE
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 03:38 PM   #5
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ogbogu

Ellis at least has upside. If he can regain his pre-broken leg form then he is a better than average defensive lineman. Ekuban should have been cut LAST year.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 03:39 PM   #6
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough
Default Ogbogu

It's hilarious how fans of the Cowboys always think they have the worst player at every position. Quincy was the worst qb in the league, Hambrick was the worst running back in the league, and now we have the worst DE's in the league. The problem doesn't start with our DE's, it starts with the defensive line as a whole. With the exception of LaRoi' Glover, there is no one worth a damn on the defensive line. It will get better eventually, but the DE's aren't the solely blame here. There is a reason why Greg Ellis got a extenstion yesterday.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 03:46 PM   #7
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ogbogu

Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
It's hilarious how fans of the Cowboys always think they have the worst player at every position.
Three straight years of 5-11 ball doesn't happen by accident. Maybe we DO have several of the worst players in the league.

But we don't criticize our receiving corp which is above average. Our defensive backs are above average. Our linebackers are average (too small). Our defensive line might be the worst in the NFL though.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 03:47 PM   #8
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

They aren't solely to blame, but they are more to blame than the tackles. Our run defense has been solid, while we have only played one half (1st against the Giants) with a decent pass rush. I think Greg Ellis is Tony Tolbert. He's a solid end who is strong against the run and always plays hard. Ekuban is a bust. He looks like he can rush the passer, he has the tools, but he never gets there. I doubt they're the worst in the league, but they’re in the lower echelon.
Old 09-29-2003, 04:16 PM   #9
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Yes, they are the worst. Last year, the Cowboys racked up an impressive total of 24 sacks all year. 24??!! That was 29th in the NFL. Our defensive ends combined for a whopping 8.5 sacks. 8.5?! They played every game! Sorry, but name me a team that has a worse group of starting defensive ends. You can't. Because there isn't one.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 04:16 PM   #10
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ogbogu

the defensive line is very good against the run and very bad at rushing the QB... it'd be nice if they'd find a happy median..but, the d'line is far from being the worst in the NFL. however, they are among the worst, if not the worst, at rushing the QB.
Old 09-29-2003, 04:23 PM   #11
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold
Default Ogbogu

Ogbogu did good yesterday. Looked very sharp, had a couple big plays. Parcells called him out after the Giants game, so it's nice he responded.
Old 09-29-2003, 04:41 PM   #12
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about
Default Ogbogu

Who cares about last year, let's talk about this year. We didn't have the big tuna last year, did we?
AKUNAMATATA!
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 06:59 PM   #13
QCarFan
Golden Member

QCarFan can only hope to improve

We are 2-1 right now, with Arizona Sunday. Well on our way to that 10-6 record, this team and players will get better as the season goes.
Old 09-29-2003, 11:31 PM   #14
Tony tha Mavs fan

Tony tha Mavs fan is on a distinguished road
Default Ogbogu

Quote:
While Ogbogu is mostly a backup, he gets major face time starring in a commercial for Under Armour athletic apparel. In the TV commercial, it's Ogbogu who stands in the middle of several players, shouting "We Must Protect This House."

OOOOH thats who that was! I was wondering who that was.. He's been playing great, making big plays, he should get more playing time, and i'm sure he will find his way on the field.
Old 09-30-2003, 10:29 AM   #15
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road
Default Ogbogu

DAMN....I always thought that one of the players off the Tampa Defense.. I laugh at myself now because I was thinking to myself that that dude would look good in a Cowboy uniform...He just looked like a beast....

...And whataya know..he is on the Cowboys!!! lol

I agree and hope that he gets some more playing time. Also, Blade and Delroy Stewart looked pretty good at tackle.

Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 10:32 AM   #16
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road
Default Ogbogu

Quote:
interesting. I was actually wondering who that guy was, and if he was a pro. Now i know.
And, do you think he is the only Cowboy with a commercial? Other than Roy Williams, in the Madden commercials?

I think your forgetting Darren Woodson visit to his chyropracter(sp?) and Dat's commercial on his lasik surgery. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 10:33 AM   #17
Murphy3
Guru

Default Ogbogu

i don't have much problem with the cowboys' tackles..just gotta something from the end position other than helping out against the run.