Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 10-14-2003, 02:21 PM   #1
DNNF
Golden Member

DNNF will become famous soon enoughDNNF will become famous soon enough
Default Cowboys interested in 49ers Kevin Barlow !!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted on Tue, Oct. 14, 2003

Cowboys Notes
Cowboys may consider trade
By Clarence E. Hill Jr.
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

IRVING - Bill Parcells doesn't want to talk about the playoffs and neither does Cowboys owner Jerry Jones.

However, they are willing to do anything to leverage the Cowboys' surprising 4-1 start into a postseason run, including making a move before today's 3 p.m. trade deadline.

Jones, who had conversations with several clubs on Monday, and plans to have a few more today, said nothing is imminent.

"If we had the opportunity to help our team for this year, we would do it," Jones said. "I would make a trade if it improves us."

Jones said the Cowboys would do it even if it meant sacrificing more future draft picks.

Because of trades, the Cowboys are already without their sixth (Green Bay, receiver Terry Glenn) and seventh-round picks (Oakland, defensive end Kenyon Coleman) in 2004 and their sixth-round pick in 2005 (Coleman.)

So far nothing has transpired and Jones doesn't believe anything will at this point.

Niners general manager Terry Donahue said that the Cowboys called him about backup running back Kevin Barlow but the 49ers said they had no interest.

Reached Monday by phone, Barlow said he would be surprised if he was dealt because "I am the future" in San Francisco.

What's unclear in Dallas is how much concern there needs to be about their running game.

Leading rusher Troy Hambrick has rushed for 345 yards on 102 carries (3.4 yards per attempt). However, the Cowboys are sixth in the league in rushing offense, averaging 134.4 yards per game.

They rushed for 119 yards against the Eagles on Sunday, which included 31 yards by quarterback Quincy Carter.

Hambrick rushed for only 46 yards on 18 carries.

The rushing attempts contributed to the team's roughly four-minute edge in time of possession and ultimately the 23-21 victory.

"I have some concern with it," Parcells said. "But we are averaging like 148 yards a game. Would I take that for the season? Yeah. If you average that per game in this league, you are going to win a lot of games. But I'm not interested in what's wrong with the running game I want the respect that we can run and control the game, which is what we have been able to do a bit of. Is it perfect? No. Was it great Sunday? No."

Witten ready

Tight end Jason Witten is less than two weeks removed from surgery on his fractured jaw.

But if he has his way, he will be on the field Sunday against Detroit.

Witten, who was injured against the Cardinals on Oct. 5 and missed the Eagles game, will seek approval to have wires removed from his mouth Wednesday when he returns to the doctor.

"We'll see if the doctor clears me," Witten said. "I have plates in my jaw that will be there for life. The jaw is stronger now than it was before."

While Witten wants to play badly, he also can't wait to eat solid foods again. He has survived by drinking shakes and protein mixes out of straws.

"The biggest thing for me is I lost 11 pounds," Witten said. "I can't eat anything. I am so sick of those shakes. I have tried putting everything in them: fruit, pineapples, orange juice. I am a steak guy."

In anticipation of Witten's return, the Cowboys are building a helmet with a larger cage for him to use.

Stewart hobbled

Backup Daleroy Stewart, one of only three defensive tackles on the roster, sprained an ankle late in the Eagles game. If he can't play Sunday, the Cowboys will likely have to make a roster move

DNNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links