Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 10-15-2003, 10:13 AM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Need An Opinion For The Lounge

Ok, so the post-padding threads are getting out of control. I think keeping 1 will be ok, but others will be locked.

I'm thinking the Word Association should stay as it's been here forever. What one do you want to stay?

I think the good morning, good night threads are the worst. Co-star movie thread ran it's course as did the this and that thread.

DJ already set up the official milestone thread so that will cut those threads out. We'll start working on locking threads that pop up of that nature.

What about threads like whose wit do you enjoy most? Let them run a week then lock them? Or do those topics usually die on their own?

Old 10-15-2003, 10:19 AM   #2
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

the wit threads..stuff like that will last the normal life of a normal thread and go away... They'll only be around a few days to a week IMO.... Same with "the new ones" thread

good morning..goodnight threads..well, i agree with you there. those types of threads will just linger forever.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 10:33 AM   #3
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Need An Opinion For The Lounge

i like to costar movie thread... but it's definitely been repeating itself lately...
Old 10-15-2003, 10:48 AM   #4
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

How about combining some of the threads into one thread titled:

"Good morning, Which Co-Star has the Most Wit?"

Old 10-15-2003, 10:54 AM   #5
dallas_esq
Golden Member

dallas_esq is a jewel in the roughdallas_esq is a jewel in the roughdallas_esq is a jewel in the rough

Good morning and good night are a little tiresome. I like this or that.

We need a britney spears or hot chick thread because new threads are started at least once a week to honor her or some other beautiful woman.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:11 AM   #6
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Good morning and good night threads wouldn't be a great loss. I still wish we had a section for post padding that the post wouldn't count and where they wouldn't clutter up the lounge. I know the private topics section is going away and this won't be possible once it does. Maybe we could just get a lounge2 forum for these types of threads.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:14 AM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

or, people could go into chat and start up "post padding threads"
Old 10-15-2003, 11:19 AM   #8
dallas_esq
Golden Member

dallas_esq is a jewel in the roughdallas_esq is a jewel in the roughdallas_esq is a jewel in the rough

I see some of the people complaining about post-padding padding in EVERY SINGLE THREAD.

Chat is not a viable alternative. I don't like Lounge2 either. I think some of these threads just natrually become mainstays and some die. I see nothing wrong with having 5 to 12 postpadding threads that linger forever. Maybe a different label for them? Counting of posts is what leads to postpadding.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:26 AM   #9
Murphy3
Guru

Dallas_esq, it sounds as if the decision has been made. Please help MFF in deciding which post padding thread will remain open and which will be locked. Your assistance is appreciated.

thank you

the murph
Old 10-15-2003, 11:35 AM   #10
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

What about to lock all post padding threads?

Or none at all?

I mean, it would be tought (or boring for the mod) to judge in a regular basis, which one yes or which one not.

If you want to lock all (or some) is fine for me. Above all cause the offseason is over, we are in the preseason and in 2 weeks in the regular season. We will be more busy -entertained- in the other sections.

Old 10-15-2003, 11:36 AM   #11
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

Thanks MFF.

I know some are probably a bit upset with the closing of some of these threads, but I really believe the Lounge will be a better and more interesting place without them. As far as new posts in a similar vain to this/that, I have no problem with them so long as they don't stay on the first page forever. Perhaps those threads should last for a week or two and then be closed.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 11:40 AM   #12
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Keep Word Association, and that's it.

Also, it would be nice if a lot of posters realized that high post counts do not equal "respect" or "stature" on this message board. Jacktruth had a great post on this subject here. Posting Is/Is Not
Old 10-15-2003, 12:24 PM   #13
Murphy3
Guru

bump...already falling below several post padding threads....
Old 10-15-2003, 12:30 PM   #14
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran

Also, it would be nice if a lot of posters realized that high post counts do not equal "respect" or "stature" on this message board. Jacktruth had a great post on this subject here. Posting Is/Is Not
This should be a mandatory read. I'd gladly give up any reference to the post numbers. They amount to a hill of beans.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 12:30 PM   #15
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Psychedelic Fuzz is on a distinguished road

no joke, I was going to suggest to DJ or the mods a very similar idea. If all the others go,personally i'd keep this or that. imho it requires more wit and creativity than co-stars, and more thought than word association. I, for one like going back and seeing how people respond, and not just inflating my post count.

Psychedelic Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 12:32 PM   #16
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you MFF!

I think the occassional thread dies on its own. Maybe the mods should lock 'em up when they become repetitive. Word Association has certainly been guilty of that too. The movie thread was fun for a while, but has probably run its course. It's a shame that it has gotten this bad. The Lounge was at this time last year a great place to visit.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 12:48 PM   #17
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran

This should be a mandatory read. I'd gladly give up any reference to the post numbers. They amount to a hill of beans.
As would I give up reference to my posts. High posts definitely doesn't determine the quality of poster you are.

Old 10-15-2003, 01:16 PM   #18
signoftimes

signoftimes is on a distinguished road

Is it possible to have certain threads NOT count towards the post total? That might discourage some from posting in those threads.
signoftimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 02:38 PM   #19
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

So now, we are going to be told what we can and cannot post.

I thought the idea of moving the post padding threads to the Private Topics section was a great idea. It does two things, get rid of the clutter in the Lounge and stop the stupid argument people throw out about the post padding.

This board is fun to come to, for all. If some people like to participate in those threads (as I do at times) let them. The private topics section does not get alot of traffic so that is a PERFECT place for them.

And the fact that posts in that section don't count towards your post total will STOP the bitching about post numbers. That is so stupid, in my opinion.

Please, don't kill the personalities on this board. Keep it fun. Fun for all, not just the murphs and others that don't like the "post-padding" threads.
Old 10-15-2003, 06:24 PM   #20
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

How about we keep the Word Asscociation and This or That thread? Two is reasonable and we'll see how it goes for a while. It shouldn't be a problem with the official milestone thread in place.

As for the private lounge forum, I don't think it will be here much longer. I believe DJ may be removing it so it would be pointless to put post-padding threads in there.
Old 10-15-2003, 06:36 PM   #21
Chiwas
Guru

Agree, MFF.

(Now it was necessary, grbh. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] )

Old 10-15-2003, 06:37 PM   #22
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

I say kill everything but the venerable word association thread...
Old 10-15-2003, 07:03 PM   #23
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

I say kill the word association thread to start a new one. The one that's here is so long that it has to be tying up bandwidth. This and that are fun and should stay around. The good morning and good night could go away.

But I'm on board with U2 on this issue. Why are we so concerned with the number of bad threads? The lounge should be fun and a lot of those threads were fun. I personally don't find much use for the "your favorite music, book, or movie" threads but I don't think they should be banned. I hate it when politics are being argued here because of how poorly most people debate. Things are taken WAAAY too personally and the opinions are too charged to allow a different viewpoint to be voiced.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 07:07 PM   #24
Murphy3
Guru

the lougne isn't fun for so many people because of all the garbage in it. some people don't even venture into the lounge because anything worth talking to gets pushed 30 threads down behind all the post padding threads.

but, oh well..that's just my humble opinion
Old 10-15-2003, 09:18 PM   #25
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

I still don't see the problem. There are 20 threads on the front page of the lounge. If 5 or 6 are padding threads, with the 3 stuck threads up top, and 3 to 4 congratulatory threads, that still leaves 7 to 9 threads for those wonderful topics like "what's your favorite cat movie" and the like.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 09:31 PM   #26
LRB
Guru

Maybe we can make a sticky at top and have one consolidated Movie thread. I mean we have new movies opening faster than posters making milestones. Instead of just opening a new thread for each new movie, we could all just post in one.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:38 PM   #27
Chiwas
Guru

This is going to be filled of stickies, at this pace.

Maybe another section with specific threads.

A thread for movies

A thread for post padding-chat

A thread for birthdays

A thread for status changes

A thread for jokes

A thread for quotes

A thread for Iraq

A thread for Republicans vs. Democrats

A thread for hot pix

Etetetetecetera.

Old 10-15-2003, 09:39 PM   #28
Murphy3
Guru

scrolling down, it really doesn't look like threads for upcoming movies is much of an issue IMO. If you take out the duplicate thread for kill bill, how many threads for upcoming movies are there in the last 100 threads? 3? maybe 4?

Not exactly alot

but personally..it's to the pont to where i don't really care anymore..
whatever decisions are made, so be it
Old 10-15-2003, 10:39 PM   #29
MavsFanFinley
Guru

Let's not make such an issue out of this. The board is supposed to be fun and the decisions we make will not please everyone. There is always going to be someone who thinks it's still too cluttered and those that think we're restricting what folks can post or not post.

We have one thread that is a sticky dedicated for milestones. That's reasonable. If it gets too big, we'll retire it, and create a new one.

We have two post-padding threads. The word association that has been here forever and a pretty decent game of this or that. No need to make them sticky. They're usually near the top and maybe they'll die on their own.

Threads such as whose wit or threads dedicated to a movie will die on their own eventually.

I think that's cleaned up the bulk of the problem. That's 3 threads that could be considered post-padding topics. The lounge was designed to be for anything goes (nothing X-rated) for the most part. We've just condensed a couple of those topics so that shouldn't offend a whole lot of people.
Old 10-15-2003, 10:57 PM   #30
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

I think that the changes have pleased two people for sure. DJ, because I think he instigated the changes (and it is his board, so he can make whatever changes he wants) and one other that I will not say because she/he PM'ed me that he/she was happy.

I, for one am not.

You asked for my opinion and so I gave it.

Heck, does that mean any threads deemed as "post padding" by the powers that be will be locked in the future? The only "post padding" threads that I posted in are now locked (say something about the poster and the movie thread). If I opened another thread similar to those would they be locked?
Old 10-15-2003, 11:07 PM   #31
MavsFanFinley
Guru

What topic are you thinking about?
Old 10-15-2003, 11:18 PM   #32
Fah Q
Golden Member

Fah Q is on a distinguished road

Why is private topics going to be closed?

If it was because it was never being used than we could just move all of the post padding threads in there since everyone thinks that people are just trying to inflate post totals by using them. I for one like these topics not for the reason of having a high post total but for being involved in our online community. I have met many people through posting in these threads and I enjoy having a change of pace when things are going slow.

But if DJ is closing private topics for another reason I can understand.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:19 PM   #33
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Well, to be honest, I personally don't like the post-padding threads. But the fact that others do and come here to participate is somewhat comforting to me.

I guess what I meant to say was you said that you were keeping two of the threads, one the game this or that.... If I wanted to start another game thread in the future that was not a this or that or word association thread would it be locked?

Like the movie thread, I thought that one was really fun at times that this board was slow.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:20 PM   #34
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

There's no need to delete the old word assoc thread since it has a negligible impact on the site's bandwidth. Just my 0.02. If you guys want to start a new one, that's fine with me too.

As for the post-padding, since I'm not able to check in as frequently as most, they don't bother me as much. However, what does bother me is the fact that it has resulted in so many complaints from members (many with legitimate reasons). So something obviously has to be done since this is a concern among so many members. Locking up old and redundant threads is a good start but I do think some designated threads need to remain, since people will always find a way to post-pad anyway. Might as well give them a place to do it without disrupting the flow of other threads.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 11:26 PM   #35
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

That is the problem with feedback.... You only get the negative.

And when that is all you hear, I guess your opinion can be swayed that way.

I guess the bad goes on us who don't voice our support of this board to you dj in a positive manner.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:30 PM   #36
MavsFanFinley
Guru

Quote:
If I wanted to start another game thread in the future that was not a this or that or word association thread would it be locked?
I don't think we'll be that strict. A new game might even be fun. We're just asking to be reasonable when it comes to post-padding threads.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:37 PM   #37
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Psychedelic Fuzz is on a distinguished road

I think the compromise here is a good one, but I'm with u2. I'm a little wary of the precedent being established here. I for one would still participate if these threads were in the private topics section. It's a good way to get to know others, and to pass the time when there's nothing going on elsewhere on the board. I don't think locking them in and of itself will promote other discussions in the lounge.

Psychedelic Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 12:12 AM   #38
Fah Q
Golden Member

Fah Q is on a distinguished road

I don't know how long the private topics section is going to stay open but I started a couple post padding threads in there.
Old 10-16-2003, 12:35 AM   #39
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

The private area forum will eventually be gone for good.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 08:13 PM   #40
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

DJ, for those of us who have been happy enough with the status quo, I apologize that we didn't offer positive feedback to somewhat counter the thought police. Do what you guys think is necessary. The last thing I want to be another complaining voice that you have to face here.

Besides, I'm not letting anything spoil my good mood tonight. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]