Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 10-20-2003, 08:11 AM   #1
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mavs Trade!!!

The Ticket is reporting the Mavs will trade:

Raef
Welsch
Mills
2004 1st rounder

Get:
Antoine Walker
Toni Delk

It's supposed to be announced today
Old 10-20-2003, 08:12 AM   #2
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice
Default RE:Mavs Trade!!!

From DMN:

Mavs send LaFrentz, first-round pick to Celtics
08:08 AM CDT on Monday, October 20, 2003

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

The Mavericks continued to reshape their roster early Monday when they acquired Antoine Walker and Tony Delk from the Boston Celtics, president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson said.

Headed to Boston are Raef LaFrentz and two players acquired in the off-season trade with Golden State, Jiri Welsch and Chris Mills. The Mavericks also included their 2004 first-round draft pick to sweeten the deal.

Walker is a strong-scoring forward who could create a logjam in the front court - unless another deal is in the works. He, Dirk Nowitzki and Antawn Jamison, not to mention Eduardo Najera, would be splitting up playing time at the two forward positions.

Delk will shore up the Mavericks at point guard. He’s been a part-time starter in the league for several years and will give the team an insurance policy since the only proven point guards on the team were starter Steve Nash and backup Travis Best.

The deal makes sense from a financial standpoint for the Mavericks, who have the third-highest payroll in the NBA. Walker has a maximum contract that ends after the 2004-05 season. He will earn $13.5 million this season and $14.625 million next season.

LaFrentz signed a seven-year, $69-million deal before last season. With Delk’s deal added in, the Mavericks will be relieving themselves of about $35 million in salary over the life of all the contracts.

The trade talks got hot on Sunday and the deal was finalized early Monday morning after the Mavericks returned to Dallas from a preseason game in San Antonio.
There has to be more to this; I don't get this trade at all.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 08:13 AM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Holy crap!

I don't like the trade. We gave up Jiri? I hate Walker.....he is my least favorite guy in the league. There should be plenty of rebound opportunities now wiht him on the roster...the guy couldn't hit the floor if he dropped the ball. There is too much to comment on right now. Ugh!
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 08:15 AM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

is this a bad joke?

there has got to be more to this..
maybe this is why Welsch didn't play last night

If this is not a bad joke and there's not another move, I think we just added my least favorite player in the NBA

but you'd think a big man would have to be on the way...surely the mavs don't make that trade otherwise
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 08:17 AM   #5
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

ReDIRKulous is on a distinguished road

Did Cuban finally financially punk out? This trade sounds really bizarre. We have few enough shots to go around as it is. This better be a horrific joke.
There is nothing wrong with criticizing a team if your points are valid. But most of the armchair coaches on this board talk pseudo-basketball-ese and make results oriented comments as if they actually have an understanding of the game at the pro level. Most of the comments are based on disappointment from unrealistic expectations or the most ludicrous notion that you sitting in your barc-o-lounger knows more about how to win basketball games than Nelson. Just not gonna happen, boysan.-TwoDeep3
ReDIRKulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 08:17 AM   #6
Tony tha Mavs fan

Tony tha Mavs fan is on a distinguished road

OOOH MY GOODNESS WHAT A amazing trade, where did this come from?

The Mavs are overloaded at the 6-7 SG position, and Raef hasnt shown up as many would think he would have, but the Mavs don't have any depth at the Center position , unless they trade for one soon.
Old 10-20-2003, 08:22 AM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

am i too young to take up high volume drinking?

surely something else is up..the mavs don't need A.Walker as a backup 3 (or 4, depending on how small nellie wants to go)

and do the mavs need another backup PG?
Old 10-20-2003, 08:22 AM   #8
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold
Default RE: Mavs Trade!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH SHIT!
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 08:23 AM   #9
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

Was this done just to jettison Raef?
There is nothing wrong with criticizing a team if your points are valid. But most of the armchair coaches on this board talk pseudo-basketball-ese and make results oriented comments as if they actually have an understanding of the game at the pro level. Most of the comments are based on disappointment from unrealistic expectations or the most ludicrous notion that you sitting in your barc-o-lounger knows more about how to win basketball games than Nelson. Just not gonna happen, boysan.-TwoDeep3
Old 10-20-2003, 08:23 AM   #10
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

I guess you have to see the really bizaare lineup of: Dirk at Center; Walker at PF (?); Jamison at SF(?); Fin at SG; and Nash at PG. Will that be the starting lineup? Probably not, but you'll see it out there.

Well....it ain't smallball.

I suspect Raef was bitching behind the scenes and demanding a trade. This is what came up. Fortsen really is the starting Center. I guess Walker takes over the Nick role, i.e. takes a lot of shots. Will Walker be happy with that? I doubt it.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Old 10-20-2003, 08:23 AM   #11
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

I don't get this?? Why? Isn't Walker a PF? My impression of Walker is that he's dumb as a rock. Everytime the Celtics put in Walker, I cheer harder. Where does he play? Center?
Old 10-20-2003, 08:23 AM   #12
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

You've got to be hating this Murph. Walker is Nick, only 8 inches taller.

Are we really going to play with five scorers and no center? There has to be another move.
Old 10-20-2003, 08:23 AM   #13
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

Could have been worse. Could be Vin Baker.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 08:24 AM   #14
Murphy3
Guru

this is horrible
the ticket is saying that the mavs have been talking about playing WALKER at center
Old 10-20-2003, 08:24 AM   #15
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road

HOLY SHIGHT!!!!!

This trade is AWESOME!!!!!

We get rid of Raef albotrous contract and this looks like there might be another trade at the trade deadline...

WE WILL BE UNSTOPPABLE ON OFFENSE!!!!!
Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 08:25 AM   #16
sturm und drang
Golden Member

sturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura about

As much as I dislike LaFrentz-- he was far and away my least favorite Maverick-- it makes no sense to me that we would trade him away for (gasp gurgle... ugh, gross) Antoine Walker. No sense at all.

So this means we have no insurance beyond Fortson and Bradley at center? Nothing?

I'd say my opinion of Walker ranks up there with Murph's and Doc's. Just about my least favorite player in the league: he of the "the more I shoot, the better I am, regardless of silly things like FG%" mentality. No regard for whether or not he'll actually make it.

I can't believe I'd ever say this about any trade involving LaFrentz, but... NO. I hate it.
Old 10-20-2003, 08:26 AM   #17
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: SeriousSummer
Could have been worse. Could be Vin Baker.
That's what I was afraid of when they mentioned the Celtics.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 10-20-2003, 08:26 AM   #18
Murphy3
Guru

sturm, i think you can throw KG into that mix as well....he's defintely not fond of his bulk shooting ways as other
Old 10-20-2003, 08:27 AM   #19
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
this is horrible
the ticket is saying that the mavs have been talking about playing WALKER at center

I have to dissagree TOTALLY!!!

This trade puts us in a GREAT position to make another move at the trade deadline.

Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 08:27 AM   #20
Dooby
Diamond Member

Well, we traded 3 for 2. I guess Powell gets a roster spot? Or do we go get a 3rd center?

This trade is bizaare. Bizaare trades tend to be done for money reasons. I guess. I am stumped by this.

Old 10-20-2003, 08:28 AM   #21
Murphy3
Guru

i know it's great 'if' something else is in the works...but, for some reason, i don't think anything else IS in the works
Old 10-20-2003, 08:28 AM   #22
Drbio
Banned

Are you kidding bomber? Walker will give the other Mavs plenty of rebounding opportunities since he misses the vast majority of his shots. And he takes too dadgum many shots to begin with. Ugh.

Quote:
And without the killer mentality, shooting ability and athleticism maybe. [img]i/expressions/rolleye.gif[/img]
Old 10-20-2003, 08:29 AM   #23
Murphy3
Guru

cuban was just tired of having the cowboys steal all the spotlight. so he made this trade just to piss everyone off
Old 10-20-2003, 08:30 AM   #24
Dooby
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
cuban was just tired of having the cowboys steal all the spotlight. so he made this trade just to piss everyone off
Crossed my mind, too.

Old 10-20-2003, 08:31 AM   #25
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
Are you kidding bomber? Walker will give the other Mavs plenty of rebounding opportunities since he misses the vast majority of his shots. And he takes too dadgum many shots to begin with. Ugh.

Quote:
And without the killer mentality, shooting ability and athleticism maybe. [img]i/expressions/rolleye.gif[/img]
Walker has a similar career fg%. Since when did Nick become so athletic? I agree about the killer mentality, but I was talking to Murph and he thinks that's a negative.
Old 10-20-2003, 08:31 AM   #26
Drbio
Banned

Someone's butt should be in a sling if there isn't another trade in the works. This move is awful.
Old 10-20-2003, 08:31 AM   #27
Dooby
Diamond Member

Well, Walker is an average to above-average defender, which probably makes him the best defender on the team.

Old 10-20-2003, 08:32 AM   #28
Murphy3
Guru

NVE had a killer's mentality... but it's the killer's mentality of a killer that can't shoot straight.
Old 10-20-2003, 08:32 AM   #29
Drbio
Banned

dirno- please tell me that you don't believe Walker is more athletic than NVE....please. Walker is a slug on his best days.
Old 10-20-2003, 08:33 AM   #30
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dooby
Well, Walker is an average to above-average defender, which probably makes him the best defender on the team.
Good point, but that isn't enough to justify the trade right?

I guess everyteam needs an arse pimple....we now have ours.
Old 10-20-2003, 08:33 AM   #31
Murphy3
Guru

to be honest, if walker will come in and NOT shoot the ball more than 8-9 times a game, then i don't mind this trade

but, what's the likeliness of that happening?

or, if another trade is in the works..then this could be a positive
Old 10-20-2003, 08:34 AM   #32
raefformvp
Golden Member

raefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant future

Oh my gosh! As if my Monday couldn't get any worse! I am all for trading Raef if we get quality in return, but this trade makes no sense. I have heard nothing but bad things about Walker. I would cry if I wasn't in class, but I don't want the kids to make fun of me any more than they already do.

my boy cheering on the Mavs with his Mavs maraca and wearing his Jason Terry headband.
raefformvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 08:34 AM   #33
Dooby
Diamond Member

Remember all those "Raef would be an allstar in the East" threads? I guess we get to find out.

Old 10-20-2003, 08:34 AM   #34
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH SHIT!

I second that. This makes absolutely zero sense. Raef was showing signs of improvement, as was Jiri Welsch. And we could have used Mills contract to give more to Nash next year. And to top that off, we give up a first round draft pick?

This is a stupid trade. But in the defense of Walker, he did lose some weight over the offseason. It makes very little sense for the Celtics to. I could see letting Delk go b/c they got Markus Banks, but Raef for Walker. Just so dumb.

Murph i'm going to join the AA at age 18.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 08:34 AM   #35
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

Antoine Walker is a good player, but is he worth giving up another center? We have a lot of forwards as it is.
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 08:35 AM   #36
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

II smell a HUGE trade coming. Now if we could dump Bradley.
Old 10-20-2003, 08:35 AM   #37
Murphy3
Guru

dooby, i've already started a thread for that...
Old 10-20-2003, 08:35 AM   #38
Dooby
Diamond Member

Quote:

I thought Fortson was our arse pimple this year.

Old 10-20-2003, 08:36 AM   #39
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dooby
Quote:

I thought Fortson was our arse pimple this year.

one for each cheek
Old 10-20-2003, 08:37 AM   #40
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Raef was poised to have a breakout year. I was in love with Welsch. Two of the guys I was most excited about are traded away... In that regard, I am very frustrated.

But you guys are being way too hard on Walker. He is an awesome talent... probably among the NBA's 20 best players. If he can learn some dicipline he'll be a monster for us for years to come. He is one of the best in the league at scoring near the basket. He can run the floor and grab some boards. He's relied too much on his perimeter game, but I think that may be a function of the team he was on. I don't know where he fits into the rotation. He seems a little redundant with guys like Jamison and Dirk on the team. And didn't we just lose a lot of depth in our weakest position? I know the Mavs are high on Fortson, but I am in no way convinced he can play center. I guess Bradley's going to get a lot of burn this year. That can't be a bad thing.

In terms of talent for talent, we got the better end of the deal here by far. But in terms of fit, I don't know... I liked Raef at center for us.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote