Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-01-2003, 10:55 PM   #1
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default Welcome to Dallas Tony Delk!!!

Man did Delk look great tonight or what? Great D. Attacking the basket. Mixing it up the big boys to get some rebounds. Who needs Bobby Jackson?
Old 11-01-2003, 10:57 PM   #2
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Welcome to Dallas Tony Delk!!!

Nice. I became a fan of his tonight. I know it's one game, but if he can put half of the defensive pressure he displayed tonight against the Queens and Booties(Spurs) of the world I will be very happy.
Old 11-01-2003, 11:00 PM   #3
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Welcome to Dallas Tony Delk!!!

I always been a Delk fan. I just love his game ever since I saw him in college. Very tenious. NVE like at times on offense, but with much better D and rebounding and shot selection.
Old 11-01-2003, 11:00 PM   #4
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

The play of the game for me was when Delk elevated and intercepted an alley-oop. He has some definite hops for a little guy.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 11:02 PM   #5
LRB
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: Max Power
The play of the game for me was when Delk elevated and intercepted an alley-oop. He has some definite hops for a little guy.
I knew he had hops, but that still totally shocke me. One things for sure that this is the most athletic teams the Mavs have ever fielded.
Old 11-01-2003, 11:02 PM   #6
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

We're lucky to have landed him in the trade. Welsch would have been the long-term answer, but Delk will help this team for the next 2-3 years.

He's our Bobby Jackson.

Old 11-01-2003, 11:24 PM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

like delk said of his time spent in sacramento... he was bobby jackson before bobby jackson was bobby jackson
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 12:41 AM   #8
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Absolutely. That was one outstanding play in an all around outstanding game. I was giddy.
Old 11-02-2003, 12:41 AM   #9
bogey
Banned

bogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the rough

That play was impressive. I can't believe he can get up like that.
bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 01:11 AM   #10
LRB
Guru

Don Nelson on Tony Delk after the game:

Quote:
In all the years that he’s been playing, we could never stop him. I didn’t really expect this kind of performance from him with his injury and he hasn’t really practiced that much. I did expect a better performance than the Golden State game, but I wasn’t ready for this. He did so many great things besides scoring. His defense was solid, he was tough, he rebounded and played a well all-around game.
Old 11-02-2003, 09:52 AM   #11
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

He was great! I really thought he was just a throw-in with Antoine in the deal and wouldn't see many minutes, but he has now started 2 games and is looking fantastic. He was a great defender, and I like how he drives to the basket. This guy is gonna become a fan favorite very soon.
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 10:14 AM   #12
Fah Q
Golden Member

Fah Q is on a distinguished road

I've always liked Delk, but I'll become a bigger fan once Nellie decides he's our backup at PG not our starter at SG.
Old 11-02-2003, 12:50 PM   #13
LRB
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: Fah Q
I've always liked Delk, but I'll become a bigger fan once Nellie decides he's our backup at PG not our starter at SG.
I'm a huge fan, but I would still rather see him coming off the bench as well. Still gotta admit that Delk and Nash is a serious upgrade from the Nash and NVE small ball of last year.
Old 11-02-2003, 12:52 PM   #14
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

i would imagine that delk will play some backup PG and SG.

as far as him starting...it really doesn't matter too much if he starts versus teams like Utah.... but, in general, i'm firmly against small ball with this mavs roster..there's no need for it
Old 11-02-2003, 01:15 PM   #15
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Best wasn't the best.

Delk is winning the race. This reminds me of Quincy.

However, any resemblance to last year's Nellie-ball makes me dislike Delk starting any game.

Now it is less painful with Walker, but I'm affraid that with a minor hesitation by him, Nellie would turn to 4 starting guards or 2 SF's. Hopefully some are rookies, which Nellie doesn't prefer.

Also, if Delk insists to play well, I would like to see Nash-Delk-Jamison-Walker-Dirk starting a game or two.

Old 11-02-2003, 01:18 PM   #16
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: Chiwas
Best wasn't the best.

Delk is winning the race. This reminds me of Quincy.

However, any resemblance to last year's Nellie-ball makes me dislike Delk starting any game.

Now it is less painful with Walker, but I'm affraid that with a minor hesitation by him, Nellie would turn to 4 starting guards or 2 SF's. Hopefully some are rookies, which Nellie doesn't prefer.

Also, if Delk insists to play well, I would like to see Nash-Delk-Jamison-Walker-Dirk starting a game or two.

How does he remind you of Quincy?
Old 11-02-2003, 01:33 PM   #17
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Sort of hard to believe that we received one full-time starter (walker) and a sometime starter (delk, when nellie goes small) for a part-time starter who seemed lost most of the time (raef).

Still shocking...
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 01:39 PM   #18
LRB
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: dude1394
Sort of hard to believe that we received one full-time starter (walker) and a sometime starter (delk, when nellie goes small) for a part-time starter who seemed lost most of the time (raef).

Still shocking...
Does anyone else think that Danny Ainge should look into drug rehab?
Old 11-02-2003, 01:57 PM   #19
Nicky31

Nicky31 is on a distinguished road

I think Delk was defintely on top of his game last night. Out of the 2 trades Dallas made this offseason he will most defintely be 1 of the sleepers.

I agree with Murph on him only starting against non-playoff contenders...

Nicky31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 02:02 PM   #20
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone else think that Danny Ainge should look into drug rehab?[/quote]

or perhaps be tested for multiple personalties: one is an old Celts great with toughness and determination. The other is a middle aged Alaskan woman named kanna who has never touched a ball in her life and tends to make rash decisions about white sitffs with gay first names...which one made the trade you ask....which ever, both need to be out of a job.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 02:09 PM   #21
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Quote:

Still shocking...
Yes. A real PF instead of a half center-half PF unwilling to compete, plus the dark horse.
Quote:
How does he remind you of Quincy?
Quincy and Hutchinson.
Quote:
I agree with Murph on him only starting against non-playoff contenders...
Me too. But Nellie will use him -I see him starting against SA and Sac- if he continues showing good things. And unfortunately, Fortson isn't -hasn't been- the response needed for the 5 which had cut a spot from the back court.

Old 11-02-2003, 02:53 PM   #22
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
Quote:

Still shocking...
Does anyone else think that Danny Ainge should look into drug rehab?

Did you see Raef's stats last night? 17/5 in just 23 minutes. You know why he played 23 minutes right? Fouled out. Not sure what Ainge was trying to do when trading both Walker and Delk and only getting Lafrentz and Weslch back. Either he is that high on Lafrentz and/or Welsch or he is just high period.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 03:13 PM   #23
LRB
Guru

This is your brain on drugs:

This is brain on drugs:

Mavs Aquire Antoine Walker and Tony Delk from Boston

Any questions?
Old 11-02-2003, 09:14 PM   #24
LRB
Guru

Check out Tony at the play of the day at NBA.com
Old 11-02-2003, 09:32 PM   #25
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

ReDIRKulous is on a distinguished road

Did you see Adelman's comments about us getting Delk? lol He is terrified of Delk. lmao
There is nothing wrong with criticizing a team if your points are valid. But most of the armchair coaches on this board talk pseudo-basketball-ese and make results oriented comments as if they actually have an understanding of the game at the pro level. Most of the comments are based on disappointment from unrealistic expectations or the most ludicrous notion that you sitting in your barc-o-lounger knows more about how to win basketball games than Nelson. Just not gonna happen, boysan.-TwoDeep3
ReDIRKulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 09:44 PM   #26
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

What did Adelman say?
Old 11-02-2003, 10:02 PM   #27
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

I'll try to find the quote.. it wasn't anything crazy... but you could tell he was like 'oh sh!t, that guy dropped 50 on us and now he is on the team that dropped 83 in a half on us in a playoff game!' lol
There is nothing wrong with criticizing a team if your points are valid. But most of the armchair coaches on this board talk pseudo-basketball-ese and make results oriented comments as if they actually have an understanding of the game at the pro level. Most of the comments are based on disappointment from unrealistic expectations or the most ludicrous notion that you sitting in your barc-o-lounger knows more about how to win basketball games than Nelson. Just not gonna happen, boysan.-TwoDeep3
Old 11-02-2003, 10:45 PM   #28
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: ReDIRKulous
I'll try to find the quote.. it wasn't anything crazy... but you could tell he was like 'oh sh!t, that guy dropped 50 on us and now he is on the team that dropped 83 in a half on us in a playoff game!' lol
after getting drumed by the Nugg, I should think he would be worried about more than just Delk...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 12:15 AM   #29
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

Quote:
after getting drumed by the Nugg, I should think he would be worried about more than just Delk...
This was a comment he made right after the Walker trade.

Quote:
More "O" for "Big D" -- The Mavericks are suddenly much more offensive after acquiring three-time All-Star forward Antoine Walker and guard Tony Delk from the Boston Celtics for Raef LaFrentz, Jiri Welsch, Chris Mills and Dallas' 2004 first-round draft pick.

The new Dallas players had a media conference Tuesday and will be with the club tonight.

"There's a lot of offense there," Christie said of the Mavericks. "They haven't had any defense, but that's not what they're known for. They were close last year (to making the NBA Finals) outscoring people. This could help put them over the hump."

Adelman said Walker has to accept taking less shots because of the Mavericks' array of stars.

"I think it all depends on how he comes in and how he plays," the coach said. "I don't think he's going to score 20 points per game there if he wants to fit in with them, but he definitely gives them some options. He can play the center, he can pass it, he can bring it up, he can create things for people."

Adelman said the real wild card is Delk, a guard he knows well. Delk had a strong season with the Kings in 1999-2000, when he averaged 6.4 points in 46 games. Delk then signed with the Phoenix Suns and torched the Kings for a career-best 53 points Jan. 2, 2001, making 20 of 27 shots.

"(Tony) is going to be good with that team," Adelman said. "He can make threes, he can make open shots. I've always liked him. ...

"The thing about Tony, too, is he's a good defender. When he plays 24 minutes, you're going to get 24 hard minutes from him. I think that was a great pickup for them. He'll fit right in."
Old 11-03-2003, 09:33 AM   #30
mavsfan4life

mavsfan4life is on a distinguished road

I definitley agree, we stole Tony Delk in that trade from the Boston Celtics. He will become big in our organization. If he continues to give this much effort in every one of these games, he will eventually be a clutch-shooter and the one to turn to when baskets are needed! And also, if he continues this success, when playoffs come, all teams will be scared of the BIG 6!
Old 11-03-2003, 03:18 PM   #31
ItalianMobbstah187

ItalianMobbstah187 is on a distinguished road

and many on this board though delk was simply a throw-in....prove 'em wrong, tony! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
ItalianMobbstah187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 03:25 PM   #32
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Man did Delk look great tonight or what? Great D. Attacking the basket. Mixing it up the big boys to get some rebounds. Who needs Bobby Jackson?
LRB,

If you remember, Delk was traded for Bobby Jackson at Sac. So, Delk was Bobby Jackson even before Bobby Jackson.

I just hope his calf won't give him anymore problems this season, but I'm with you I'll like him a lot.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 03:27 PM   #33
LRB
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: kingrex
Quote:
LRB,

If you remember, Delk was traded for Bobby Jackson at Sac. So, Delk was Bobby Jackson even before Bobby Jackson.

I just hope his calf won't give him anymore problems this season, but I'm with you I'll like him a lot.

Yes, I remember Delk was replaced by Bobby Jax. I thought it was a mistake then, but I'm loving it for us now.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:41 PM   #34
LRB
Guru

Delk make a couple of super hustle plays on fast breaks to save sure baskets. That strip of Odom was just sweeeeeeeeeet. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2003, 10:55 AM   #35
Max Power
Banned

01:26 AM CST on Tuesday, November 4, 2003

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News
"It was funny because Donnie came to me and said the trade was off because they [the Celtics] wouldn't do it unless they could put Tony Delk in the deal," Don Nelson said. "I said, 'I love Tony Delk.' It was a great pickup for us, no doubt."
Old 11-04-2003, 10:57 AM   #36
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
01:26 AM CST on Tuesday, November 4, 2003

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News
"It was funny because Donnie came to me and said the trade was off because they [the Celtics] wouldn't do it unless they could put Tony Delk in the deal," Don Nelson said. "I said, 'I love Tony Delk.' It was a great pickup for us, no doubt."
I saw that this morning and figured it would be posted today. I like Delk. I will be watching him closely, he seems to be a good. Any reason why the Celtics had to have him included? Does he have a bad contract?
Old 11-04-2003, 11:02 AM   #37
Max Power
Banned

Basically $3M a year for 2 more years after this one. I can't understand why Boston >insisted< that Delk get thrown in, but I can't understand why Boston dumped Walker either.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:02 AM   #38
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Adrian Griffin was my favorite mav because of his hustle and defenseive ability. With Delk filling that role this year, I think he's my new favorite Mav!

Go Delk!
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 11:09 AM   #39
LRB
Guru

Quote:
Basically $3M a year for 2 more years after this one. I can't understand why Boston >insisted< that Delk get thrown in, but I can't understand why Boston dumped Walker either.

I'm telling you Danny Ainge has a drug problem.