Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-02-2003, 01:45 AM   #1
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default Notebook: Finley finds shots and makes some

Notebook: Finley finds shots and makes some

12:05 AM CST on Sunday, November 2, 2003

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

The issue of Michael Finley's shots has been an early-season topic but coach Don Nelson said that it wouldn't be for long.

"Michael always ends up figuring it out," Nelson said. "He may finally figure out that, 'Hey, I'm steering the ball; I'm not just shooting it.' He might find that out on his 19th shot in the past, but now, his 19th shot might come three games from now."

Asked if he thought Finley might get irritated at a reduced number of shots, Nelson said: "Michael's not going to get mad. He's a great guy, a team guy and he's making $12 million a year. When you're making $12 million, you ought not get mad about anything."

Finley came alive in the first half against the Utah Jazz, hitting four of five shots. He finished with 16 points on 6-of-11 shooting. It's still not the shot total he was accustomed to getting the last few seasons, but Finley showed he hasn't lost his stroke.

The team as a whole came alive from the field, too. Nelson was concerned about his team's shot selection, which was understandable after the Mavericks shot just 40.5 percent in the first two games. But it was much improved – 51.7 percent – against Utah.

"Our first half at Golden State, we could have easily been ahead 30 points," Nelson said.

Nelson doesn't want to see the shimmy

Don Nelson said before the home opener that he was hoping that new acquisition Antoine Walker doesn't break out his shoulder shimmy too often.
"God, I hope not," Nelson said. "Maybe I better have a talk with him."

Rookie swingman Howard questionable

Swingman Josh Howard sat out Saturday's game and may miss at least one more as his sprained right ankle heals.
Howard injured the ankle Wednesday against Golden State.
Old 11-02-2003, 09:48 AM   #2
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about
Default RE:Notebook: Finley finds shots and makes some

Fin found back his rythm last night, maybe his cold shooting streak is now over. I was very happy with his shooting, he was hitting from everywhere.
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 10:19 AM   #3
Fah Q
Golden Member

Fah Q is on a distinguished road

I think his shooting came back when he started moving without the ball better. He created most of his open shots without the ball and when the passer found him he would be wide open.
Old 11-02-2003, 02:08 PM   #4
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't mind seeing more of this.

Nellie needs to get Finley moving instead of parking him in that corner. Finley will be more effective moving without the ball and getting to the rim instead of having to dribble it in himself. Nash, Walker, and Dirk would all be able to pass him the ball.
Old 11-02-2003, 02:09 PM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

with walker and/or dirk in the post..it should free up alot of opportunities for an athletic SG/SF to slash through the bucket...

anyone intersted?... fin?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 02:11 PM   #6
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
with walker and/or dirk in the post..it should free up alot of opportunities for an athletic SG/SF to slash through the bucket...

anyone intersted?... fin?
We saw it last night. And I hope to goodness we see it a lot more during the season.
Old 11-02-2003, 02:21 PM   #7
mavs413
Golden Member

mavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the rough

Im probably the only one that cares, but did anyone see what shoes Finley was wearing last night? They didn't look like Jordan's to me and they kinda looked like the C-Webb's. I was watching the Suns/Lakers game last night and there were a couple players on both teams wearing the same shoes that Fin was and I was just curious to know what they were.
mavs413 is offline   Reply With Quote