Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-02-2003, 10:01 AM   #1
igtmfo

igtmfo is on a distinguished road
Default Chicken salad ...

After watching Marquis Daniels play (seeing him play for the first time that is ..) in garbage time brilliantly, I wonder ... who are the Mavs talent scouts who found J. Howard and M. Daniels for such low picks, or no picks? Sorry I don't have a Mavs media guide on hand to give props ...

Is it our old-line guy Keith Grant? Anyway we've apparently found two guys with the goods by accident, as if you found a '54 Fender Stratocaster at a garage sale.

igtmfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2003, 10:33 AM   #2
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Chicken salad ...

I think our president of basketball operations (Donnie) has taken over the talent acquistion responsiblities from our general manager (Nellie).
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 11:07 AM   #3
Epitome22
Golden Member

Epitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the rough

With all do respect to Nellie though, he was always a good judge of talent 1 thru 3.
Epitome22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 12:10 PM   #4
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Chicken salad ...

Josh Howard was ACC player of the year, so you can't really say we found him by accident. Daniels, on the other hand, is looking like an absolute steal; how did this kid go undrafted? I hope to see him around for years to come.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 01:10 PM   #5
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

The Mavs definitely deserve high grades on acquiring these two.
Old 11-02-2003, 02:20 PM   #6
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

If you can trust their word, the Mavs said they tried to trade up for Howard. They obviously had their eye on him from the beginning. They tried to get up to the 16th pick cause they thought that was around where he would go.

I remember Cuban talking about Daniels and Powell after the draft. He said as soon as the last pick was announced they were on the phone with those two guys to get them on their summer league team. He couldn't believe Daniels went undrafted. He also said that the trading of 2nd round picks with Denver was already done and they never thought Daniels would be there once their pick came around anyway.
Old 11-02-2003, 03:34 PM   #7
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

I think last years draft was loaded and most of the top players taken were taken on their rep. Not that they were slouches but if Howard and Daniels had better reps or more well known, they would also be taken higher. So I guess its a steal. Last years draft was very good. So far, it looks like only Najera and Dirk are the players that were drafted and have stuck for the Mavs.
Old 11-02-2003, 03:39 PM   #8
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: Simon2
I think last years draft was loaded and most of the top players taken were taken on their rep. Not that they were slouches but if Howard and Daniels had better reps or more well known, they would also be taken higher. So I guess its a steal. Last years draft was very good. So far, it looks like only Najera and Dirk are the players that were drafted and have stuck for the Mavs.
Actually the Mavs technically got both Dirk and Eddie via trades.
Old 11-02-2003, 03:43 PM   #9
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

As the NBA draft starts to look more like the NHL and MLB drafts (everybody's drafted on potential) there will be more and more Howard’s and Daniels' falling through the cracks.

MFF I head Cuban say that also. I also heard Donnie say they tried to trade up to get Ebi, so who knows.
Old 11-02-2003, 03:48 PM   #10
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
Quote:
Originally posted by: Simon2
Actually the Mavs technically got both Dirk and Eddie via trades.
You're right. I should have said that their first games played were with the Mavs. In spirit, they were drafted by the Mavs.