Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-04-2003, 12:05 AM   #1
superheadcat

superheadcat is on a distinguished road
Default ok, mavs win, again

but...

i missed the game, can only formulate opinions from stats, here u go:

mavs allowed 93 pts from heat, who avg less than 77 pts in previous 3 game against east teams;
mavs allowed heat 47% shooting, 50% from downtown, compared to heat's avg 40.3% and 34.1%, respectively, in the previous 3 games;
mavs are outrebounded by 7, and trailed during the 1st half.

yet many posters seems to be pretty happy about mavs' d.

so what did i miss?
Old 11-04-2003, 12:11 AM   #2
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice
Default RE:ok, mavs win, again

Don't think many of us real happy about the Mavs D tonight...just happy that we got a win.

Honestly, the D sucked, SHC...the heat got so many open looks that they knocked down....it just wasn't funny.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:12 AM   #3
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of
Default RE: ok, mavs win, again

It can be extremely hard to stop teams that try to fully exploit your weaknesses. The Mavs have to do that against every team they play. Sometimes things will and won't go your way. Tonight, things didn't necessarily go our way, but we pulled it off.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 12:21 AM   #4
superheadcat

Quote:
Originally posted by: OutletPass
Honestly, the D sucked, SHC...the heat got so many open looks that they knocked down....it just wasn't funny.
that is the reason i hope we face a healthy td this saturday.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:22 AM   #5
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately the Mavs have always had nights like this. How many times have players gone off for career games against us? Adding the new players just compounds the problem.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 12:34 AM   #6
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

We give up a lot of open looks in our zone. Utah just had a problem knocking down open shots. No such luck tonight.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:46 AM   #7
superheadcat

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirno2000
We give up a lot of open looks in our zone. Utah just had a problem knocking down open shots. No such luck tonight.
from what I saw, we did a very good job on d against utah, they didn't get much open looks, most of the time there is a hand on their face. i do notice some 3pt shots which are open, but overall mavs' d is quite good actually two nites ago.

so the mavs just decide to quit on d tonite? it is not like that they had a perfect o game such that they can be lazy on the d end. or maybe mavs took heat lightly?

i'm just not happy about that.
Old 11-04-2003, 01:03 AM   #8
Jamisonite
Golden Member

Jamisonite is on a distinguished road

the heat are a better team than the jazz by far
Old 11-04-2003, 01:03 AM   #9
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Our D was much more crisp and energetic against Utah than it was tonight, IMO. That said, I'd be willing to bet Miami took advantage of their open looks tonight about as well as they will all year. Give them credit for knocking down the open looks they got.
Old 11-04-2003, 01:25 AM   #10
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Jamisonite
the heat are a better team than the jazz by far
I don't know about that one. Especially since the Heat were missing Eddie Jones, Dewayne Wade, and Caron Butler.

John Wallace and Udonis Haslem were playing overseas last year, Kirk Penny was just signed today and Bimbo Coles is like 50. Give me the Jazz.

It's just perception so it can't be proven without watching the tape, but I saw the Jazz get a lot of open shots. There is always a weakness in the zone if you work the ball correctly.

Old 11-04-2003, 03:06 AM   #11
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
Our D was much more crisp and energetic against Utah than it was tonight, IMO. That said, I'd be willing to bet Miami took advantage of their open looks tonight about as well as they will all year. Give them credit for knocking down the open looks they got.
I would agree. Our biggest problem on D was giving Miami open looks at jumpers. I don't think that Miami will be knocking down open jumpers like that anytime soon.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:28 AM   #12
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: superheadcat
Quote:
Originally posted by: OutletPass
that is the reason i hope we face a healthy td this saturday.
A healthy TD and a healthy Parker.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:36 AM   #13
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

Quote:

so the mavs just decide to quit on d tonite? it is not like that they had a perfect o game such that they can be lazy on the d end. or maybe mavs took heat lightly?

i'm just not happy about that.
Even Nellie said he expected to win handily. They took the Heat lightly. Well, they should take them lightly. No way the Heat wins that game. A win is a win. Just be happy. Would you be happy if they won by 50? I actually want to see how the Mavs react to an opponent that gives them trouble. The good thing is Dirk took over offensively. He showed that he is "Da Man" now.

Old 11-04-2003, 09:05 AM   #14
mavsfan4life

mavsfan4life is on a distinguished road

I agree with that guy, the defense played by the Mavs was horrible, mainly with Dirk Nowitzki. He can not play defense AT ALL! If the Mavs controlled their offense, it could've been a 20 point blowout, but they let way to many gaurds like Alston, drive into the lane like nothing.
Old 11-04-2003, 04:20 PM   #15
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm no basketball expert but D today looked horrible at least in the first half. It was possible to see who would get the open look, the way the mavs d was moving out there. And many times heat players were wide open, not like the d could close up on them on time to force a miss. There's a lot of room for improvement (as there always was, I suppose).