Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 11-11-2003, 01:01 PM   #1
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road
Default UNC will make the Final Four

You heard it here first!

That is,....if....they can stay healthy. It's a very talented but not exceptionally deep team this year.
But with RW manning the helm this year, there is new found hope in Chapel Hill.

After the Matt Doherty debacle, I was ready to swear off being a Tarheel fan, but the players have no control over the idiot higher-ups, and even those idiots in charge can't ruin the great tradition that is UNC basketball.

I'm glad Coach Smith is still around giving his input to RW, it's kinda nice to have a hall of famer filling in the cracks for you.

Here's a good article for all you other UNC fans out there
Old 11-12-2003, 03:18 PM   #2
Fah Q
Golden Member

Fah Q is on a distinguished road
Default RE:My Prediction:UNC will make the Final Four

If they had more than 1 PG I would agree with you.
Old 11-12-2003, 03:49 PM   #3
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

My prediction: You don't know what the hell you're talking about.

They didn't even make the tournament last year. Yes, they will be better, but no way they make even the sweet 16.
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 04:23 PM   #4
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: My Prediction:UNC will make the Final Four

I'll be shocked if they don't make the sweet 16. They are loaded with Felton, McCants(sp) and May. Two things hurt them last year: 1) May was hurt most of the season 2) The coach lost control of the team. Unless May gets injured again, they’ll be really good.
Old 11-12-2003, 04:36 PM   #5
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Well there's no time like November for college BBall optimism, but I have a funny feeling that North Carolina is going to have a tough time finishing as one of the top 4 teams in their conference, much less the top four in March...

Future tournament hero J.J. Reddick and his Dukies are going to be beasts in the ACC. Wake Forest is returning all of their major contributers, save Josh Howard, and promise to be very tough. Hodge and NC State is going to be good, as is a talent-laden Maryland team, and Georgia Tech should be no lightweights either...

Sure McCants is coming back, and I think Raymond Felton is one heckuva player, but North Carolina is going to have to adjust to a new coach and they just don't have much depth this year. Getting Sean May back will help (I used to play with that kid in the Bloomington, IN, YMCA), but I think the most a Tarheels fan can realistically hope for, is for their squad to finish a strong second in the ACC.

As far as the heels prevailing over looming national team monsters like UConn, The Cuse, Michigan State, or Missouri in the tournament? Well, like I said, early November is a good time for optimism in college hoops (I know; I've been trying to convince myself that my Hoosiers can win the Big 10 this year)...
Old 11-12-2003, 05:04 PM   #6
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not an NC fan so I'm not optimistic that they can do anything. It's just that stars win and their big three is among the best in the country. When you add one of the best college coaches in the country, I don't see any way they finish 5th or lower in the ACC. As far as a final four birth, I have no idea.

IU has an uphill battle, but if Bracey’s healthy, anything is possible.
Old 11-12-2003, 05:21 PM   #7
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hopefully Bracey's back will hold up, and I also have high hopes that Patrick Ewing Jr and Marshall Strickland should be able to help make A.J. Moye and Big George Leach's last season notable. My Hoosiers should definitely be dangerous, but unfortunately I am afraid we just won't have enough size to compete with the heavyweight powers of the strongest conference in the country, the Big 10.
Old 11-12-2003, 05:37 PM   #8
Rod1975
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanatik33

They didn't even make the tournament last year. Yes, they will be better, but no way they make even the sweet 16.
First off, I'm a UNC fan being optimistic. The team's best player was hurt almost all of last year.

Second I DO know what the hell I'm talking about when it comes to basketball. So don't cross me.
Old 11-12-2003, 06:24 PM   #9
arsenalth9

arsenalth9 is on a distinguished road

I think they have a fighting chance for the Sweet 16...But i think inexperience will be some trouble. Give them two years and no one leaving early and they'll win it all.

This year is going to be Michigan St!!!
Old 11-12-2003, 06:29 PM   #10
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

I look at UNC as being much improved this year, but they won't be a real monster until Sean May returns with his A game in his Junior year. They certainly have a lot of potential this season, but I bet they are two years off from serious ACC or NCAA title contention.
Old 11-12-2003, 11:41 PM   #11
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

All say this they have a six man rotation that can play with anyone in the country. Sean May was a beast while he was playing last year. They did beat kansas early last season.

Id love to see Mccants, May, and Felton in the final four. Felton hes a dynamic point guard, he could be better then TJ Ford in my opinion. Rashard is a great scorer and May can dominate in the paint. So I too will be a homer and say Final Four for the men in blue.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 01:05 AM   #12
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, UNC basketball, my specialty.

Mavsfanatik, you may be a knowledgeable basketball fan in general, but when it comes to UNC basketball, you have no idea what you are talking about. To say that they can’t make the sweet 16 is kind of stupid. Sure, they didn’t make the tournament last year, but that was for several reasons.

First of all, May was hurt for most of the year. With May last year, UNC makes the tournament. They wouldn’t have gotten a super-high seed or anything, but if May had been healthy all season last year, UNC would have been in the big dance.

Second of all, that team last year was ALMOST ALL freshmen and sophomores. I believe they were the youngest team in the nation. The only seniors they had were Will Johnson and Jon Holmes – not all-ACC material by any stretch of the imagination, heck, they hardly got playing time. It’s hard to play college basketball when you have no upperclassmen to show you the way. So they had some major highs last year (winning the preseason NIT) followed by some major lows. This year everyone returns, something that Wake Forest, NC State, Maryland, and Duke can’t claim, all of these teams having lost major contributors.

Third, there wasn’t a whole lot of stability at the coaching position last year.. I liked Matt, unlike many Tar Heel fans, but it is easy to see that Roy is a better coach, and he brings some stability to the coaching decision.

So I see UNC finishing second in the ACC. Duke’s probably number 1. They are loaded as always. After these two, I think the ACC picture gets kind of cloudy. Sure, Wake Forest returns most of the pieces from last year, but they still lose their biggest piece in Howard. Maryland lost their starting lineup from last year to graduation. They’ve lost something like 8 or 9 nine very good players in the last two years so they are going to be rebuilding this year. They have some talent, but they are way too young and inexperienced to contend for a top spot. NC State, is decent they might finish around fourth. Florida State is a sleeper team. Leonard Hamilton has slowly been building a team. This could be a year in which they finally rise from the bottom of the ACC. I can't really predict final four because that requires some good luck even if you are one of the four best teams in the nation. But I don think the chances of making the sweet sixteen is pretyy good. My hope as a fan is that they make the elite eight (I would be very happy with that).

BTW, UNC may have luck/fate on their side. UNC wont the NIT championship in 1971 (back when it actually meant something). In 1982, Dean won his first championship. In 1993, they won another championship. Well, following this 11 year pattern, UNC is due for their next championship in 2004 - this year. Are the stars aligned. I wonder because I think this year might be Felton's last here because I think the pros will soon come calling for Raymond. This year could be our best bet with this crop of players. It's still hard to predict an actual championship, this is merely a crazy theory.

Sorry to bore many of you with more than you cared to read about UNC basketball.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 06:04 PM   #13
Rod1975
Golden Member

Oh I cared to read it, thanks Fintastic.

I did'nt make the 11 year correlation, thats interesting.

Alot of teams have been making the sweet 16 with 6-7 man rotations in the past few years.
The question is, can RW be the difference? I hope so.

The top 3 players on this team are as good as or better than any triumvirate in college basketball.
When it comes to the depth on this team, Roy will hopfully be able to fill in the cracks and make up for the talent shortfall with good solid teaching and playcalling.

2nd in the ACC sounds fine to me, just as long as they get their foot in the door of the dance, Roy'll take em' home.
If they get a low seed, look for some early round "upsets" at their hands.
Old 11-14-2003, 12:11 AM   #14
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

I'll tell you what, it will be awfully fun to watch Raymond run that Roy Williams fastbreak. It is going to give the other team nightmares trying to guard a player as fast as Raymond on that fast break. Man, I get goosebumps just thinking about the season.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 12-03-2003, 02:38 AM   #15
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Evilmav2
Quote:
Hopefully Bracey's back will hold up, and I also have high hopes that Patrick Ewing Jr and Marshall Strickland should be able to help make A.J. Moye and Big George Leach's last season notable. My Hoosiers should definitely be dangerous, but unfortunately I am afraid we just won't have enough size to compete with the heavyweight powers of the strongest conference in the country, the Big 10.
You want to rethink that? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

It's been a rough start for the Big 10. I.U. gets embarassed (Bracey needs help), Illinois blows a winnable game at Carolina because they shoot 40% from the FT line and Dee Brown can't throw it in the ocean, Michigan St. loses to Kansas, and Wisconson loses to Maryland.

N.C. looked good. Scott May has slimed down and his game appears to have benefitted. I never thought much of Jawad Williams, but he's impressed me this year in the couple of games I've seen him.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:34 AM   #16
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Rod1975
Quote:

First off, I'm a UNC fan being optimistic. The team's best player was hurt almost all of last year.

Second I DO know what the hell I'm talking about when it comes to basketball. So don't cross me.

Rod, Im sure you are a good guy, but you do this type of thing quite a bit... You are nothing special when it comes to basketball knowledge... We all have that here, (well most of us do anyways)... My point is that you come across as some billy badass with your words and your basketball IQ, and often use phrases such as "SO DONT CROSS ME." Now MavsFanatic was wrong to straight up say you didnt know what the hell you were talking about, but I am just saying... People WILL cross you and it is ridiculous to think you wont be called out when you make "WILD" statements such as NORTH CAROLINA WILL MAKE THE FINAL FOUR THIS YEAR, (after not even dancing last year). I hope they do Rod, as I am a UNC fan, but my point again is DO NOT EXPECT NOT TO BE CALLED OUT WHEN SAYING IT...

Maybe it is just me, but you just rub me the wrong way with your arrogance and confidence... Just take it down a notch for all of us...

Please!
Old 12-03-2003, 03:54 PM   #17
Rod1975
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Male22Dan
Quote:
Quote:

Rod, Im sure you are a good guy, but you do this type of thing quite a bit... You are nothing special when it comes to basketball knowledge... We all have that here, (well most of us do anyways)... My point is that you come across as some billy badass with your words and your basketball IQ, and often use phrases such as "SO DONT CROSS ME." Now MavsFanatic was wrong to straight up say you didnt know what the hell you were talking about, but I am just saying... People WILL cross you and it is ridiculous to think you wont be called out when you make "WILD" statements such as NORTH CAROLINA WILL MAKE THE FINAL FOUR THIS YEAR, (after not even dancing last year). I hope they do Rod, as I am a UNC fan, but my point again is DO NOT EXPECT NOT TO BE CALLED OUT WHEN SAYING IT...

Maybe it is just me, but you just rub me the wrong way with your arrogance and confidence... Just take it down a notch for all of us...

Please!
First of all, you don't know me, dan.

Second, Mavsfanatik said I did'nt know what the hell I was talking about, and the manner he said it was intended mockingly. In other words, he was trying to offend me.

Where else have I said "don't cross me"? You must have been reading this thread more than once and forgetting the preceding occasion, because I've never said those words before.

I may be nothing special to you, but you have shown me exactly zip of your basketball IQ. Just because you don't recognize my basketball knowledge, there are plenty of people on this board that do.

Saying that UNC will make the Final Four may be a little homerish, however they have the talent, the coaching, and barring any injuries they will make a very deep run into the dance. So it's not a "WILD" statement to say they will make the FF.

A "WILD" statement would be: "CREIGHTON WILL MAKE THE FINAL FOUR THIS YEAR"

And lastly, you're a little bit of a hater are'nt ya? Why don't you show me something before you try to be another thought police. We already have a glut of those, we don't need another.

Old 12-03-2003, 04:22 PM   #18
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Rod... Your right... I dont know you...

Second, Mavsfanatik said I didnt know what the hell I was talking about, and the manner he said it was intended mockingly. In other words, he was trying to offend me.

Regarding Mavsfanatik, I told you that I gave you that, but again, my post was about your conceited nature that you use in general...

Where else have I said "don't cross me"? You must have been reading this thread more than once and forgetting the preceding occasion, because I've never said those words before.

If you would read my post you would see the words "phrases such as"... This would not imply that you use those exact words, or that you ever have before, but rather that you imply these words in many other comments you make... Please try to remember you and I arguing on a couple of occasions... This is how you act when you dont agree with someone... You act as if you are right, and there is no chance of the other being right rather than making comments that essentially say "We will agree to disagree". It ends up being "YOUR WRONG AND IM RIGHT."

I may be nothing special to you, but you have shown me exactly zip of your basketball IQ. Just because you don't recognize my basketball knowledge, there are plenty of people on this board that do.

Ha ha... I dont give a damn if I have shown you zip of a basketball IQ... Listen to yourself... "JUST BECAUSE YOU DONT RECOGNIZE MY BASKETBALL KNOWLEDGE"... Shit! If you were a woman you would be saying "JUST BECAUSE YOUR NOT AS FINE AS ME!" Give me a break...

Saying that UNC will make the Final Four may be a little homerish, however they have the talent, the coaching, and barring any injuries they will make a very deep run into the dance. So it's not a "WILD" statement to say they will make the FF.

AGAIN... You prove my point... You TELL ME that it is not a Wild statement to say that UNC will make the FF, but you see, that is my opinion, just like it is yours that it IS NOT a wild statement... The difference between you and almost EVERYONE ELSE ON THIS BOARD is you can not comprehend the difference between an opinion and a fact... You think everything you say is factual, which is horse shit...

AGAIN, opinion... You starting to see the difference yet??? I would say that from my last statement, this would would be a WILDER statement than the last though...

And lastly, you're a little bit of a hater are'nt ya? Why don't you show me something before you try to be another thought police. We already have a glut of those, we don't need another.

A hater... Ha ha... I dont like pricks, and while my opinion of you is NOT that, I just see PRICK-LICK traits from you sometimes... If I see that, and it bothers me, I will tell you point blank... Regarding being the thought police... I can "SAY" whatever I want... Just like you can... But if I read something that rubs me wrong, I will and can say "HEY THIS RUBS ME WRONG AND THIS IS WHY"... If you want proof, I will go find our old threads we argued in... You simply refuse to admit that you could be wrong... If ANYONE argues with you, you cast them out, and tell them how stupid they are for refuting your superior opinion... So man, Im not trying to hate, Im just saying, step back and read some of the shit you type!
Old 12-03-2003, 04:38 PM   #19
Rod1975
Golden Member

Quote:

Rod... Your right... I dont know you...

Second, Mavsfanatik said I didnt know what the hell I was talking about, and the manner he said it was intended mockingly. In other words, he was trying to offend me.

Regarding Mavsfanatik, I told you that I gave you that, but again, my post was about your conceited nature that you use in general...

If you would read my post you would see the words "phrases such as"... This would not imply that you use those exact words, or that you ever have before, but rather that you imply these words in many other comments you make... Please try to remember you and I arguing on a couple of occasions... This is how you act when you dont agree with someone... You act as if you are right, and there is no chance of the other being right rather than making comments that essentially say "We will agree to disagree". It ends up being "YOUR WRONG AND IM RIGHT."

Ha ha... I dont give a damn if I have shown you zip of a basketball IQ... Listen to yourself... "JUST BECAUSE YOU DONT RECOGNIZE MY BASKETBALL KNOWLEDGE"... Shit! If you were a woman you would be saying "JUST BECAUSE YOUR NOT AS FINE AS ME!" Give me a break...

AGAIN... You prove my point... You TELL ME that it is not a Wild statement to say that UNC will make the FF, but you see, that is my opinion, just like it is yours that it IS NOT a wild statement... The difference between you and almost EVERYONE ELSE ON THIS BOARD is you can not comprehend the difference between an opinion and a fact... You think everything you say is factual, which is horse shit...

AGAIN, opinion... You starting to see the difference yet??? I would say that from my last statement, this would would be a WILDER statement than the last though...

A hater... Ha ha... I dont like pricks, and while my opinion of you is NOT that, I just see PRICK-LICK traits from you sometimes... If I see that, and it bothers me, I will tell you point blank... Regarding being the thought police... I can "SAY" whatever I want... Just like you can... But if I read something that rubs me wrong, I will and can say "HEY THIS RUBS ME WRONG AND THIS IS WHY"... If you want proof, I will go find our old threads we argued in... You simply refuse to admit that you could be wrong... If ANYONE argues with you, you cast them out, and tell them how stupid they are for refuting your superior opinion... So man, Im not trying to hate, Im just saying, step back and read some of the shit you type!
It's a good thing you are entitled to your opinion, becase that appears to be all you have.
Old 12-03-2003, 04:51 PM   #20
Rod1975
Golden Member

And allow me to add that the name calling only adds to the subjectiveness of your arguement.
You should pick your battles alot better, because this was an opinion thread to begin with. See the subject line...."Prediction:" hello?
Old 12-03-2003, 05:59 PM   #21
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

I never jumped on your ORIGINAL statement Rod... NEVER ONCE... Just re-read my first message to you... I cant help it that you have an interpretation problem... That can get situated with simple reading exercises... But you cant say that your title that says prediction allows every post you make to be fictional or opinionated. My beef with you was simply your attitude and the way you post today/in the past.

What do you want from me... Should I completely re-post my first message to you...

OK, I will... This should help you understand my original point, which has nothing to do with your last two messages to me... I only got touchy after you got touchy in the first place... Dont talk shit if you cant take it...

ORIGINAL POST:

"Rod, Im sure you are a good guy, but you do this type of thing quite a bit... You are nothing special when it comes to basketball knowledge... We all have that here, (well most of us do anyways)... My point is that you come across as some billy badass with your words and your basketball IQ, and often use phrases such as "SO DONT CROSS ME." Now MavsFanatic was wrong to straight up say you didnt know what the hell you were talking about, but I am just saying... People WILL cross you and it is ridiculous to think you wont be called out when you make "WILD" statements such as NORTH CAROLINA WILL MAKE THE FINAL FOUR THIS YEAR, (after not even dancing last year). I hope they do Rod, as I am a UNC fan, but my point again is DO NOT EXPECT NOT TO BE CALLED OUT WHEN SAYING IT...
Please! "

As you see, I never once said your statements were attempted to be factual and wrong... All I said about your entire first post was that your opinion was "WILD" which is my opinion... Obviously it was others as well... So about me picking my battles better, you just need to learn what battle you are fighting, because your statement to me should have went to MavsFanatic - I DONT CARE ABOUT YOUR FIRST POST!!!

I will not post in this thread again about your opinions and knowledge, or lack there of... If you want to throw insults or comments my way, do it in a PM, as I am tired of wasting space and time on your ass... So go ahead and post some regurgitated effort on how you are superior to me and everyone else on this board and how your BBall IQ is above all other mere mortals... Or just save it for people who care!
Old 12-04-2003, 04:29 PM   #22
Rod1975
Golden Member

stop being the thought police male22dan
Old 12-04-2003, 04:39 PM   #23
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Dude, get the topic back to where it needs to be, UNC Basketball, or just shut the hell up... Mods, if you can, lock this thread, it is serving no purpose whatsoever... Rod, it has been like a day, give the shit up... You lose!
Old 12-04-2003, 05:21 PM   #24
Rod1975
Golden Member

Quote:
Dude, get the topic back to where it needs to be, UNC Basketball, or just shut the hell up... Mods, if you can, lock this thread, it is serving no purpose whatsoever... Rod, it has been like a day, give the shit up... You lose!
I started this thread, I'll talk about whatever the hell I want.

Quote:
I will not post in this thread again about your opinions and knowledge, or lack there of... If you want to throw insults or comments my way, do it in a PM, as I am tired of wasting space and time on your ass...
You're obviously not a person of your word....you posted again...
Old 12-04-2003, 05:29 PM   #25
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Well there's no time like November for college BBall optimism, but I have a funny feeling that North Carolina is going to have a tough time finishing as one of the top 4 teams in their conference, much less the top four in March...

Future tournament hero J.J. Reddick and his Dukies are going to be beasts in the ACC. Wake Forest is returning all of their major contributers, save Josh Howard, and promise to be very tough. Hodge and NC State is going to be good, as is a talent-laden Maryland team, and Georgia Tech should be no lightweights either...

Sure McCants is coming back, and I think Raymond Felton is one heckuva player, but North Carolina is going to have to adjust to a new coach and they just don't have much depth this year. Getting Sean May back will help (I used to play with that kid in the Bloomington, IN, YMCA), but I think the most a Tarheels fan can realistically hope for, is for their squad to finish a strong second in the ACC.

As far as the heels prevailing over looming national team monsters like UConn, The Cuse, Michigan State, or Missouri in the tournament? Well, like I said, early November is a good time for optimism in college hoops (I know; I've been trying to convince myself that my Hoosiers can win the Big 10 this year)...
I've seen Georgia Tech play three times this year so far. They look to be serious contenders.

But still, give me Duke out of the ACC. There is just too much damn talent there.

madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 05:39 PM   #26
Rod1975
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
Quote:

I've seen Georgia Tech play three times this year so far. They look to be serious contenders.

But still, give me Duke out of the ACC. There is just too much damn talent there.
Duke has the tools to come out #1 in the ACC, but barring injury UNC does too. Both teams are fun to watch.

Old 12-04-2003, 06:20 PM   #27
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Hey look, the thread is back on topic...

Thanks Madape!!!

I agree that Duke has the tools to not only come out on top in the ACC, but do some serious damage come the dance... I just think some of their players are over rated...

I like that one kid from Georgia Tech with the crazy leaping ability... Highlight film just ready to happen... I also think UNC with the leadership of RW will definitely dance, and might make it to the sweet 16, but IMHO, I think the fun stops there...

Could be wrong though!!!
Old 12-19-2003, 08:53 AM   #28
Rod1975
Golden Member

Big game tomorrow: 6-0 UNC vs. 6-0 Wake.

My prediction: UNC 71 - Wake 62

Maybe I'm not such a crazy homer after all huh y'all? I know it's only Dec., but UNC is #4 in the USA Today/ESPN coaches top 25 poll and in the AP poll. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
And they are also well represented in the ESPN power 16 experts rankings. lookie lookie
Old 12-19-2003, 01:31 PM   #29
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

I vote still a crazy homer, but maybe a crazy homer that through great coaching out at Chapel Hill, will prove to be right all along!!!
Old 12-20-2003, 06:34 PM   #30
Rod1975
Golden Member

Quote:
Big game tomorrow: 6-0 UNC vs. 6-0 Wake.

My prediction: UNC 71 - Wake 62

Maybe I'm not such a crazy homer after all huh y'all? I know it's only Dec., but UNC is #4 in the USA Today/ESPN coaches top 25 poll and in the AP poll. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
And they are also well represented in the ESPN power 16 experts rankings. lookie lookie
Man I was way off.....

It's going into the second overtime right now tied at 104.

Melvin Scott you idiot!!!
Old 12-20-2003, 06:35 PM   #31
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

Mandyahl will become famous soon enoughMandyahl will become famous soon enough

i've been following the game, and it has been good. too bad it is not on tv.
Old 12-20-2003, 06:57 PM   #32
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

there is a PHENOMENAL game on between UNC and Wake Forest. Triple overtime right now
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 06:59 PM   #33
Rod1975
Golden Member

I know it would probably be a fun game to watch if not for the horrible free throw shooting.
If one of the teams could just shoot 60% from the line, the game would have been decided a while back.

The game is on local Fox Sports Net I think, but I don't know for sure. All I know is, I don't get it.
Old 12-20-2003, 07:02 PM   #34
Rod1975
Golden Member

Melvin Scott killed us with his foul on a three pointer with less than 3 seconds left in the first OT.

Interesting to note that every player that got on the floor for Wake was in double figure scoring.
Old 12-21-2003, 12:05 AM   #35
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Not really, not when the guy cant hit a free throw to save his life... One out of three??? Damn!!! They were like 2 for 3 from down town that period, and 1-7 or something like that at the line!!! I think I would rather put the guy on the line!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

What a hell of a game though!!!

On a side note, what a lack of effort by UT versus Duke... So disappointing!!!
Old 12-21-2003, 02:53 PM   #36
Rod1975
Golden Member

Quote:
Not really, not when the guy cant hit a free throw to save his life... One out of three??? Damn!!! They were like 2 for 3 from down town that period, and 1-7 or something like that at the line!!! I think I would rather put the guy on the line!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

What a hell of a game though!!!

On a side note, what a lack of effort by UT versus Duke... So disappointing!!!

Oh sure put a guy on the free throw line for 3 shots when you're winning by two with no time left...real smart tactic...
[img]i/expressions/rolleye.gif[/img]

I promise you RW did'nt tell Scott to foul the shooter.
In that situation 99% of coaches and myself would take our chances on a contested 3 pointer rather than 3 free throws.
The free throw shooting was terrible, but you have to play the percentages, the average probability for a 3 pointer to go in is always less than the probability for a free throw. And the average for the trey goes down considerably if it is contested.
Scott just messed up, and cost the Heels the game.
Old 12-22-2003, 06:15 PM   #37
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Like I said, when the guy cant hit a free throw to save his life, NOT REALLY!!! Hindsight is always 50 50, and that my friend is the point I made my prediction... Had I said this prior to the game ending, then you have a valid argument... Fact of the matter is that I would never have requested that my player foul the guy on purpose shooting a three either... Nor did I ever say that... But your sarcastic eye rolling would sure suggest I did...

Anyways... UNC lost!
Old 12-24-2003, 01:10 PM   #38
Rod1975
Golden Member

Quote:
Fact of the matter is that I would never have requested that my player foul the guy on purpose shooting a three either... Nor did I ever say that... But your sarcastic eye rolling would sure suggest I did...
Ok then if the preceding statement is true, then what do you mean by this?

Quote:
I think I would rather put the guy on the line!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Now correct me if I'm wrong, but that sounds like you said that you would foul on purpose.....hmmm confusing....please clarify...

I know you always need the last word, so I will look forward to a backpedal real soon [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-26-2003, 09:45 AM   #39
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Rod... Give me a break man... You just want to make someone look bad when the opportunity is NOT there... I smiled after the line and the simple fact is that it was a statement to be taken as a joke... You just want some damn way to smart off to me and that is fine... Who in the hell would want to foul a guy shooting a three so that they could have 3 free shots to win the game???

Of course it is possible that you have done the same thing that I have regarding posting a joke seeing as how you smiled too, but I just like arguing with you more than anything, so I voting you were being a smartass!!!
Old 12-28-2003, 02:23 PM   #40
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Quote:
Like I said, when the guy cant hit a free throw to save his life, NOT REALLY!!! Hindsight is always 50 50, and that my friend is the point I made my prediction...
I just wanted to point out that Chris Paul was a 78.6% FT shooter. Not horrible by any stretch of the imagination.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson