Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-12-2003, 07:24 PM   #1
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all
Default Delk on the shelf. Good or Bad?

Nellie says that Delk might be out a week or so. Is this good or bad?

Two good scenarios:

1. Howard or Jamison starts for the 3 position. Good for Howard to get minutes or good for Jamison to get more minutes.
2. Fortson or Bradley starts at center. This is good too since Dirk doesn't have to play center.

Old 11-12-2003, 08:16 PM   #2
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Delk on the shelf. Good or Bad?

Ultimately it'll be good, because there'll be one less piece for Nelson to play small ball. That's not to say that he won't play small ball, but it'll be more difficult. Hopefully the team plays well during this time and he sees the advantage of playing a bigger lineup.
Old 11-12-2003, 08:20 PM   #3
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Delk on the shelf. Good or Bad?

I like Delk, but in his absence we're pretty much guaranteed that Finley will be the starting SG, rather than starting SF. That, to me, is good, good, good.
Old 11-12-2003, 08:24 PM   #4
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Don't be surprised if Nellie starts Nash, Best, Finley, Walker, and Dirk if Delk is out too long.
Old 11-12-2003, 08:27 PM   #5
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Bad... We can use another body in all of these blow-outs so that jamison can get off the court with the big 4.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 08:33 PM   #6
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Good for now. Anything that tightens up our rotation and forces Big Don to play the Big Five for more minutes together is a postitive. Delk's superior defensive abilities, and cold-blooded shooting touch will be valuable assets later in the season, but for now I am happy that his absence facilitates a smaller Mavs rotation, and keeps one more unacclimated guy off of the court.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:14 PM   #7
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
Don't be surprised if Nellie starts Nash, Best, Finley, Walker, and Dirk if Delk is out too long.
OMG! No! That would be like starting Nash and NVE. I don't think Nellie does this.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:17 PM   #8
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Nellie said before the season that he wouldn't play Best & Nash together but I don't really believe that it won't happen. Hopefully it won't for extended periods. I think it's good Delk's out though b/c it means Best will probably get more consistent minutes & maybe find his game. Plus, he should get completely healthy anyway, he's also got that other thigh thing from preseason. It's early, there's no reason for him to play hurt.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:18 PM   #9
arsenalth9

arsenalth9 is on a distinguished road

I think it's good, i think a smaller rotation is better than a larger one, i mean he IS a good player, but i tihnk 7 people in a rotation or so is better and more beneficial.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:26 PM   #10
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I think delk/stevie played some together last night. Not extened but some.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 09:37 PM   #11
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: dude1394
??? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Delk sat out the whole game last night. Do you mean Best/Nash? Nellie did play them together for several minutes last night.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:47 PM   #12
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

"Good" is just to be shy.

G-R-E-A-T is better.

Old 11-12-2003, 09:55 PM   #13
Simon2
Diamond Member

Quote:
Quote:

Delk sat out the whole game last night. Do you mean Best/Nash? Nellie did play them together for several minutes last night.
I saw that. Glimpses of Nash and NVE. The Mavs went small ball with Nash, Best, Fin, Jamison and Walker. I'm not sure but they were killed on the boards at that point. Hope Nellie doesn't use that combination to often.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:58 PM   #14
LRB
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: Simon2
Quote:
Quote:

I saw that. Glimpses of Nash and NVE. The Mavs went small ball with Nash, Best, Fin, Jamison and Walker. I'm not sure but they were killed on the boards at that point. Hope Nellie doesn't use that combination to often.
I really think with our team that there is no need to use this lineup. I certainly don't want to see it. But I would be willing to bet you that we'll see it at least several times more this year.
Old 11-12-2003, 10:04 PM   #15
Simon2
Diamond Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I really think with our team that there is no need to use this lineup. I certainly don't want to see it. But I would be willing to bet you that we'll see it at least several times more this year.
I think you are right. I still don't understand the two pg fascination. More passers maybe? But at the cost of height?

Old 11-12-2003, 10:20 PM   #16
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I thought the main reason Nellie went to this lineup for a stretch was because Armstrong/Davis/Wesley were running us ragged.

Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 10:29 PM   #17
LRB
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: Rhylan
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I thought the main reason Nellie went to this lineup for a stretch was because Armstrong/Davis/Wesley were running us ragged.
Still I'd like to see Howard and Daniels get a chance if we need to defend small quick players. They're both quick and good defenders but bring much more height and better rebounding.

Old 11-12-2003, 10:59 PM   #18
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I think Howard and Daniels will continue to be the odd men out. Nellie hates playing rookies and with all the vets he has there's really no reason to. Hopefully with the increased playing time, Best will continue to improve.
Old 11-13-2003, 12:22 AM   #19
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: ames7
Nellie said before the season that he wouldn't play Best & Nash together but I don't really believe that it won't happen. Hopefully it won't for extended periods. I think it's good Delk's out though b/c it means Best will probably get more consistent minutes & maybe find his game. Plus, he should get completely healthy anyway, he's also got that other thigh thing from preseason. It's early, there's no reason for him to play hurt.
He already played them at the same time, for a limited time, but he did. I think it was last game too.

EDIT: I should have read the other comments[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]
Old 11-13-2003, 12:33 AM   #20
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: ames7
Nellie said before the season that he wouldn't play Best & Nash together
I think Nellie played the two of them together to help Best out of his slump. Best could concentrate on playing defense and getting open shots without having to worry about running the offense too.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 10:42 AM   #21
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Does Delk run the point well enough to make Best expendable?

Nets are looking for a veteran PG. Wonder if there's a possible deal.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 10:49 AM   #22
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavKikiNYC

What do the Nets have that we want AND they're willing to give up?
Old 11-13-2003, 01:03 PM   #23
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Nellie will try to put his best guys on the floor and force the other team to adjust to them. That's why NVE was played with Nash at the end of games. The same thing will happen here. If Delk is one of the best guys on this team for that particular game (and he was for at least 2 of our games) then he'll be in the line-up (as he should).

I agree that small ball is not always the best option, but more often than not Nellie makes the right line-up calls. Where we've been beat in past was because we just didn't have the personnel to match-up against the better teams.

So, in answer to this thread, it is bad for Delk to be out. It's always bad when one of your top players are out. The only good thing about it (and many of you have alluded to this) is that it allows others to step up and show what they've got.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 01:12 PM   #24
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Nellie will try to put his best guys on the floor and force the other team to adjust to them. That's why NVE was played with Nash at the end of games.
Apparently other teams did adjust...The Mavs +/- dropped significantly for the worse when NVE was on the court.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 02:11 PM   #25
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Not that I've seen.

Quote:
I don't see a deal.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 02:23 PM   #26
LRB
Guru

Quote:

Just out of curiosity, who were you thinking about getting from the Nets kiki?
Old 11-13-2003, 03:42 PM   #27
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
Quote:
Nellie will try to put his best guys on the floor and force the other team to adjust to them. That's why NVE was played with Nash at the end of games.
Apparently other teams did adjust...The Mavs +/- dropped significantly for the worse when NVE was on the court.
The sad thing was in most of those games, having Nash and NVE was our best line-up. In many ways, that's why the Jamison trade became necessary because last year's team went about as far as it could. This year's team, I am getting convinced, is better than last year's squad, and can go much further in the playoffs.
Old 11-13-2003, 03:46 PM   #28
LRB
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: kingrex
Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
Quote:
The sad thing was in most of those games, having Nash and NVE was our best line-up. In many ways, that's why the Jamison trade became necessary because last year's team went about as far as it could. This year's team, I am getting convinced, is better than last year's squad, and can go much further in the playoffs.
Just remember Kingrex that this year's squad arguable has to be better than last years squad just to go as far as last years squad in the playoffs. The Lakers, Spurs, Kings, and TWolves have all added key people to supposedly make them stronger.

I agree in that we have the potential to be much better than last year's team and even have a better chance of advancing farther in the playoffs. However this team has a long ways to go in order to get to the point where that potential is realized. The really good news is that we have a long ways to go before the playoffs.
Old 11-13-2003, 04:38 PM   #29
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Bad... We can use another body in all of these blow-outs so that jamison can get off the court with the big 4.

What is wrong with closing out with Bradley, Najera, Daniels, Best, and Howard like we did ht eother night?

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 05:15 PM   #30
NewMexiMav

NewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to behold

Back to the original question . . .

I think the Delk injury is a blessing in disguise that is going to allow this team to gel quicker.

Don't get me wrong, I like Delk and I think he will be valuable for us this year. But, I think he's a guy you can plug into the rotation at any time and he will generally play well, get his shots, and not be a defensive liability. The other new guys need to understand their roles and I think that will only come with more playing time together, which everyone will get a little more of while Delk's on the shelf.

Nellie always favors playing the high-power offensive guys and I think, because of that, Delk would be getting more minutes right now, especially if the offensive struggles displayed in Washington and Toronto resurfaced. Without Delk, Nellie has to go with a more conventional lineup, which in the long run will benefit everyone. Personally, I think Delk is a much more natural sixth man than AJ.
NewMexiMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 12:08 PM   #31
Chiwas
Guru

Excuse me, Delk, but the team plays better without you, way better.

Excuse me, Nelson, but this team has trashed all your 20 something years of theory in just a couple of games.

Long live Donnie-ball!

Old 11-14-2003, 12:12 PM   #32
LRB
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
Quote:

What is wrong with closing out with Bradley, Najera, Daniels, Best, and Howard like we did ht eother night?

Except for the fact that Daniels missed the 3 for Chalupas, nothing. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2003, 12:13 PM   #33
kingrex
Platinum Member

That fact that the Mavs have played better since Delk was out has less to do with Delk being out as the Mavs finally "getting it".

Delk is an asset to this team with his ability to contribute both offensively and defensively. Should be a starter? That's another question. But don't mistake the Mavs recent success as attributable to Delk's being out.
Old 11-14-2003, 12:30 PM   #34
Chiwas
Guru

The remake of the "NVE" movie.

Our pro and con posts look pretty the same than a year ago.

Old 11-14-2003, 12:42 PM   #35
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally posted by: kingrex
That fact that the Mavs have played better since Delk was out has less to do with Delk being out as the Mavs finally "getting it".

Delk is an asset to this team with his ability to contribute both offensively and defensively. Should be a starter? That's another question. But don't mistake the Mavs recent success as attributable to Delk's being out.
i agree completely, i am of the school Delk shouldn't start, instead starting Fortson/Bradley and marching Delk, Jamison, Najera, Howard, and best off the bench as well as the other center who doesn't start . . . whatever happened to BOOTH?
Old 11-14-2003, 02:49 PM   #36
kingrex
Platinum Member

Last I saw booth was he was fighting for playing time in Seattle.
Old 11-14-2003, 02:59 PM   #37
Simon2
Diamond Member

It looks like the starting five with Fortson is doing better than the Delk starting five. The main reason I think Delk should come off the bench is that Best isn't playing that well. When Nash goes out and Best comes in, there's an obvious dropoff in production. I think Delk can continue the "drive and dish" strategy that Nash is so good at. Of course, Best needs to learn how to run the offense better coz the Mavs need him as well.
Old 11-14-2003, 03:20 PM   #38
Dirk Nowitzki

Dirk Nowitzki is on a distinguished road

Delk really is not a "Drive & Dish" type of gurad. He is a shoot first type guard that would be very valuable off of the bench. IMO, any time Dirk starts at center, Jamison should start. the most common starting lineups barring injury for the Mavs should be
Dirk
Walker
Jamison
Fin
Nash

or

Bradley
Dirk
Walker
Fin
Nash

And occasionaly
Fortson
Dirk
Walker
Fin
Nash
Dirk Nowitzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 03:23 PM   #39
Dirk Nowitzki

Dirk Nowitzki is on a distinguished road

I would rather see Najera start at the 3 & Fin at the 2 than to see Delk start at the 2 & Fin at the 3. I thought the purpouse of the Jamison trade was to keep Fin at the two. And when the Walker trade happened, I though for sure that their was no way fin would see more than a couple of minutes per game at the three.
Dirk Nowitzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 03:56 PM   #40
LRB
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dirk Nowitzki
I would rather see Najera start at the 3 & Fin at the 2 than to see Delk start at the 2 & Fin at the 3. I thought the purpouse of the Jamison trade was to keep Fin at the two. And when the Walker trade happened, I though for sure that their was no way fin would see more than a couple of minutes per game at the three.

Just remember with Nellie unless Bradley or Fortson were in the game, Eddie would be playing the 5 on D and not the 3. Walker would slide to the 3 and Dirk would be at the 4.