Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-14-2003, 06:04 PM   #1
Dirk Nowitzki

Dirk Nowitzki is on a distinguished road
Default Player by player assessment trough 9 games

This is my personal observation of the Mavs trough the first nine. Feel free to point out anything I have missed or you feel I have misjudged.
Guards
Steve Nash : He has really proven to be our floor leader & the driving force that makes the Mavs tick. In the time he missed with injury, this team looked lost & had no flow. His on court repair with both Jamison & Walker has grown every game that they have been on the floor together.Objective for the rest of the season: Stay healthy & continue to build faith that the new guys will knock down their shots if you get them the ball. A few more shot attempts from Nash would not hurt my feelings.

Micheal Finley: Woeful shooting seems to be improving & over the past couple of games has came up with some big stops & rebounds when needed. Objective for the rest of the season: Continue to focus on D & improve shooting

Travis Best: Has shown signs that he may be able to handle the load for a few minutes a game when Nash is out, but has trouble when asked to log too many minutes. Best is a seasoned point guard who should be able to adapt in a limited role. He has never dealt with an offense half this quick or talented so it will take time.
Objective for the rest of the season: Try to become more proficient withthis offense & learn that he does not have to shoot much to help this team in a big way.

Tony Delk: He brings a great mix of Hustle, Defense & Offense that could be a huge shot in the arm in big games. When the Mavs play a team with a talented small guard (Lakers & Payton, Spurs & Ginobli & Parker) look for tony to be asked to shadow these guards & attempt to keep them out of the flow. Delk, like Walker, has taken a few ill advised shots. I chalk this up to never being in an offensive system like this. Objective for the rest of the season: Learn the role that Nellie will surely provide him with & focus on defense. As talented as Delk is offensively, I believe the Mavs have better offensive options.

Josh Howard: Exciting rookie. Makes thing happen defensively & has an ever improving jump shot. I was not pleased with his shot selection in the Houston game, but I was happy that he was confident enough to take those shots. I expect Howard to do big things for the Mavs in the future. Objective for the rest of the season: Force Nellie to give you playing time by hustling & not making too many "rookie mistakes"

Marquise Daniels: Has shown flashes of raw talent that lead me to believe he will be around for a while. Much like Howard, he is quick, athletic & has long arms that aid in his defensive abilities. I do not think he will be as good of a defender as Howard, but seems to be a better ball handler. Objective for the rest of the season: Showcase enough in the limited minutes you get to earn a contract next season.

Forwards
Dirk Nowitzki: Has shown flashes of being a better post defender this year. It seems as if he is taking it into the paint a lot more this season with good results so far. The three obviously has not been falling, but I have no doubts that Dirk will get on track in this area. His rebounding numbers are down, but when a team adds two good rebounders, more than likely, someone's numbers will drop. I expect by seasons end, he will average 8 - 9 boards per game. The jury is still out on the Hook shot he supposedly added over the summer, but it would make a nice addition to his arsenal. You can tell he is making an effort to become a better passer, but has made some silly mistakes in doing so. Objective for the rest of the season: Somehow cement yourself as this teams leader & go to guy. Continue to learn the Nuances of Post defense & passing.

Antoine Walker: Over the past couple of games has cut way back on the amount of ill advised shots. Has shown he has a multifaceted game that could really help the Mavs. Turnovers & bad shots are still a question mark, but at almost 10 boards a game (around 3.5 of the offensive) & 5+ assists per game, he has shown signs of being a very effective player in this system. Objective for the rest of the season: Do not try to do to much or be too flashy. Making a behind the back pass to someone streaking down the baseline that flys into the third row should be avoided at all costs. Continue to improve shot selection to insure that fg% stays above 45% instead of the dreadful 39% shot last season.

Antawn Jamison Has not been consistent. Much of this I am sure is due to getting acclimated with being the 6th man, but when he is on, he give the Mavs a much needed low post scorer. That quick release & those soft hands under the basket on top of the fact that he is getting some clean up buckets under the basket could pay off big time down the road. Defensively, he has not looked awful, but some improvement on lateral movement would be welcome. Objective for the rest of the season: Become a little more acclimated with the sixth man role ( I am sure he will) & hopefully he will learn that he can be a vital part of this team without set plays run for him. He in my opinion is the third best scorer on this team, but he could make a nice living here by simply continuing with those put backs & diving to the basket as an outlet when Dirk, Nash, Fin or Walker take it to the hole

Eddy Najera Has provided energy at times, but you can tell he is not 100% healthy. Not my favorite Mav by any stretch, but he can give this team a shot in the arm occasionally & do the "dirty work" when needed. Objective for the rest of the season: Try to stay healthy (nearly impossible as much as he throws his body around) & never shoot unless you are 5 feet from the basket or closer.

Centers
Shawn Bradley Just like the Shawn of old, he looks great one night & will look awful the next. Could be a stabilizing force in the middle if he where more consistent, but he has not been in his ten year career. One of the best shot blockers in the league when he is playing well, but a waste of a roster spot when his game is off. Objective for the rest of the season: Crawl out of the dog house on occasion when called & make something happen.

Danny Fortson Appears lost on almost every offensive position. Usually disrupts spacing & damages offensive flow. He can rebound very well & will bang some, but he is very slow & will get beat like a red headed stepchild if he attempts to play anyone with any kind of low post moves Objective for the rest of the season: Trim down a little more & carry an offensive play book with you everywhere!
Dirk Nowitzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2003, 06:15 PM   #2
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Player by player assessment trough 9 games

Not a bad write-up. However, I couldn't disagree more with your comments concerning Shawn Bradley. Bradley must be given signicant minutes for the defense to play at a high level over the course of the season. He shouldn't just be yanked out of the dog house from time to time to match up with Yao or whoever. Bradley is the integral force that turns the Mavs zone defense from mediocre to above average.

And yes, Fortson needs to provide some help from help as well. There will be times when the Mavs simply need someone to body up on a center that doesn't provide much offensively. Fortson may be your man.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 08:07 PM   #3
Dirk Nowitzki

Default RE: Player by player assessment trough 9 games

Thanks Murph, I figured soemone would stick up for the stick man. I have just seen Shawn play like he did in Houston & follow a game like that up with a stinker one to many times to not expect it agian. Maybe he would play better if he knew, barring injury, he would get 20 minutes a night. I hope Shawn can prove me wrong & play well this season. The thing with Shawn is, you really have to watch him play to judge what he is doing, He is one of those guys who may not have a great statistical game (see last nights box score) to contribute in a big way.
Old 11-14-2003, 08:10 PM   #4
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

Good write up DN.

I agree with the thoughts about Bradley. I hope the Mavs can improve enough defensively so Bradley can stay in the doghouse forever. He isn't consistent enough for my taste.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 08:17 PM   #5
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

ReDIRKulous is on a distinguished road

Bradley is great against bad teams but absolutley horrible against the best teams. That is why we need to get accustomed to life without him... whether i is with the Potato or Dirk or Anything but Bradley. I almost started to fall for it again. Gotta fight it though. lol
There is nothing wrong with criticizing a team if your points are valid. But most of the armchair coaches on this board talk pseudo-basketball-ese and make results oriented comments as if they actually have an understanding of the game at the pro level. Most of the comments are based on disappointment from unrealistic expectations or the most ludicrous notion that you sitting in your barc-o-lounger knows more about how to win basketball games than Nelson. Just not gonna happen, boysan.-TwoDeep3
ReDIRKulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 08:38 PM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

to imply that bradley only performs well versus bad teams is uninformed to say the least
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 08:46 PM   #7
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

ReDIRKulous is on a distinguished road

No... that isn't what I said... I said Bradley plays GREAT against bad teams.

He plays decent against good teams but markedly worse... and he plays terrible against the best teams... or the best big men. I feel a big part of it is officiating but an even bigger part of it is Bradley.
There is nothing wrong with criticizing a team if your points are valid. But most of the armchair coaches on this board talk pseudo-basketball-ese and make results oriented comments as if they actually have an understanding of the game at the pro level. Most of the comments are based on disappointment from unrealistic expectations or the most ludicrous notion that you sitting in your barc-o-lounger knows more about how to win basketball games than Nelson. Just not gonna happen, boysan.-TwoDeep3
ReDIRKulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 01:24 AM   #8
Dirk Nowitzki

Default RE: Player by player assessment trough 9 games

Thanks Max
Old 11-15-2003, 03:28 AM   #9
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Max Power
I hope the Mavs can improve enough defensively so Bradley can stay in the doghouse forever. He isn't consistent enough for my taste.
hehehehehehehehehe....i laugh cuz its funny.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 03:30 AM   #10
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

given minutes and patience, Bradley can be very productive, in his way. Not a stud, but effective in certain situations...not the biggest Mantis fan, but honest enough to admit that he can be useful....

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 03:37 AM   #11
BASKETBALL 101

BASKETBALL 101 is on a distinguished road

Travis Best: Has shown signs that he may be able to handle the load for a few minutes a game when Nash is out, but has trouble when asked to log too many minutes. Best is a seasoned point guard who should be able to adapt in a limited role. He has never dealt with an offense half this quick or talented so it will take time.
Objective for the rest of the season: Try to become more proficient withthis offense & learn that he does not have to shoot much to help this team in a big way.

and one more thing, Travis is FINE as Wine!!! oh my god!! That boy is hot!!!!!!!