Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road
Default A-Rod 'on the outs' with Showalter

Posted on Mon, Nov. 17, 2003
A-Rod's winter of discontent?
By Jim Reeves
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

If Alex Rodriguez wins the American League Most Valuable Player Award today, don't expect him to accept any congratulatory phone calls from manager Buck Showalter.

Rodriguez hasn't returned a single one of the manager's calls -- and there have been several -- or spoken to Showalter since the season ended in late September. Nor, apparently, does he plan to do so before spring training begins in February.

If he's still with the Rangers when spring training arrives, that is.

A source close to Rodriguez said over the weekend that the Rangers' shortstop is "on the outs" with Showalter and is incensed over the recent firing of clubhouse attendant Tommy Bolin, a close friend who had landed the job before the 2002 season at Rodriguez's behest.

And that's why trading Rodriguez might be the best thing the Rangers can do. Not because he's a bad player; he's hands down the best player in baseball. Not because he's a bad guy; he's far from it.

But Rodriguez doesn't run this team, or the clubhouse, or the front office, or anything else beyond that space between second and third base. Showalter runs the team. At least, that's the way it's supposed to work.

Asked point-blank Saturday night if he has a problem with the Rangers manager, Rodriguez hesitated before finally saying "No comment."

The disturbing news that Rodriguez is upset with Showalter comes in the midst of continuing rumors that the Rangers, who would like to get out from under the remaining seven years of A-Rod's $252 million contract, are listening to any club with an interest in trading players and prospects for him.

While there are reports that as many as five teams have inquired about Rodriguez -- that may just be agent Scott Boras' wishful thinking -- Rangers sources indicate there's only one serious pursuer. That team is still believed to be the Boston Red Sox.

A-Rod's contract, however, continues to present a formidable obstacle. Rodriguez would almost certainly have to agree to a restructuring before any deal could be completed.

That might not be out of the question. Rodriguez has privately told friends that he is willing to be "flexible" with his contract.

The Rangers making Rodriguez available in a deal is one thing. The team's All-Star shortstop upset and not speaking to his manager is another.

If he stays in Texas, that's a serious problem that must be resolved. Whether that's even possible is the question.

"I really don't know why anyone would say that something's wrong between me and Alex," said Showalter, who confirmed that none of his phone calls to Rodriguez this off-season have been returned. "I think he's gone underground. I don't think he's returning calls from anyone, including the coaches."

Rodriguez, according to a source close to him, isn't returning calls from anyone in the Rangers' organization, in fact, except owner Tom Hicks. That includes general manager John Hart, who has also phoned and left several messages for Rodriguez this off-season.

"They weren't the type of calls where I necessarily expected a return call," said Hart, who also said he knew of no "feud" between Showalter and the team's star player. "I think [Buck] has been a little sideways that Alex hasn't called."

Rodriguez admitted that he was disturbed by Bolin's firing, and said he had also heard from other players in the clubhouse who are "furious" at the clubhouse attendant's dismissal.

"I'm perplexed and confused over why a young man who worked so hard would be fired," Rodriguez said.

Another player, who asked for anonymity, said he wasn't aware that Bolin had been fired.

"He's a hard worker and a good guy," the player said, "but that's up to the Rangers."

Showalter didn't fire Bolin, who came to Texas after working as a clubhouse attendant for the Anaheim Angels for several years. The decision to fire Bolin was made by home clubhouse manager Zack Minasian. Minasian did, however, run the decision by Showalter, Hart and club president Mike Cramer before pulling the trigger.

"I told Zack to do what he needed to do," Showalter said. "That's his domain."

Minasian said he just wasn't happy with Bolin's work and that the clubhouse wasn't being run the way he wanted it run.

"The agreement when we hired him was that he worked for the Rangers and for me," Minasian said. "I made that clear to both Tommy and Alex.

"This is a seasonal job for high school and college kids to work 81 days a year. It's not for [players] to have personal valets or anything like that. I had to stop it before it got further out of hand."

Minasian said the responsibility is his and his alone.

"If Alex has a problem with it," Minasian added, "I wish he'd come to me about it."

The Rangers' contention is that the firing of a clubhouse attendant is a small matter and shouldn't cause an uproar, and basically they're right. But Rodriguez's outrage over Bolin's firing is merely a symptom of a deeper, complex and more serious problem.

Rodriguez was clearly unhappy with Showalter even before Bolin was fired. Rangers sources indicate that unhappiness may have stemmed from Showalter's relentless attempts to mold Rodriguez into more of a team leader.

Whatever the root of the problem, in a clubhouse full of young, impressionable players, any festering disagreement between the manager and the team's star player threatens future success.

"Buck has a good, pure heart, and he's out there with no intent other than to make Tom's investment pay off," Hart said. "I don't see an issue at all from Buck. Buck doesn't have any problem with Alex."

Perhaps not. But Rodriguez clearly has a problem with Buck. And that's a problem the Rangers cannot afford.

Showalter had problems in Arizona with some veteran players, who chafed at his rules and what they called his nit-picking.

Still, he's the Rangers' manager, and he is charged with managing all 25 players. He needs Rodriguez to be for him, not against him.

If that can't be changed, then one of them has to go. Clearly, the Rangers are willing to help Rodriguez pack his bags, if it comes to that.

Asked if he wanted to be traded, Rodriguez said: "I want to win. The ball is in their court."

Now if they can only figure out what to do with it.

And you thought things couldn't get worse.

Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2003, 09:34 AM   #2
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:A-Rod 'on the outs' with Showalter

Well, it sounds like alot of frustration that probably stems from losing.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 10:47 AM   #3
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

This could make the trading talks happen more since they aren't on speaking terms. We better get some good pitching or something for him, Rangers seem to not be good at making deals.
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 11:26 AM   #4
bogey
Banned

bogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the rough

Or it could be idle speculation from a bored sportswriter making a story where one doesn't exist...just be open minded.
bogey is offline   Reply With Quote