Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-21-2003, 09:11 PM   #1
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute
Default Assorted Ramblings

This may come out to be incoherent but this Mavs team is going to make me be an alcoholic. Anyway for the last day I’ve been thinking about some of the Mav problems, solutions etc.

Dirk
He has looked terrible shooting the ball. But the last 3 games he might be starting to find an identity on offense. In the last 3 games, he has averaged 21 shots a game. That should definitely be his normal number of attempts. And that is definitely more assertive than what he displayed earlier in the season. Also, during the last 3 games he is averaging 9.7 rebounds. That is a far cry from his meager 7 earlier this month. That is something we as Mav fans are more accustomed to what we are seeing. Also during that 3 game stretch, he has averaged 9.7 free throws. That tells me that he is being very assertive on offense. In fact, perhaps he has been too assertive. Wasn’t it us that was complaining earlier in the season that he was too passive? As for his shooting, his ankle(s) is having a huge effect. I personally feel that he should play through it. The only reason is if Dirk is our best player and if he is going to be the leader and go to guy and find rhythm then I feel it is necessary for him to be on the court. Larry Bird’s dad once had a swollen ankle the size of a grapefruit. He viewed going to work as if “he could get his work boots on.” His dad did so for the majority of his life. Larry took that to heart. Dirk has got to heed that same advice. If he can strap on his shoes, then he is well enough to play.

Walker
The last 3 games is the role I thought he would have on the team. He has only shot the ball 11.6 times. He has averaged 6.7 assists in that span. While his shooting was not that good, nor his free throw %, he isn’t taking as many so I can definitely live with it. I think he is starting to realize that he doesn’t necessarily have to dominate the ball in the half court.

Jamison
He might be starting to fit in on this team. My only complaint on him so far is he seems to be overmatched sometimes when going for a defensive rebound. He is the only good FG% player we have on the team this year. And nearly all of his points come on busted plays, fast breaks, clean ups, etc. He is a decent low post scorer but he is not a back to the basket low post player. You rarely just dump it into him and let him go to work. Instead he seems to wiggle himself to the creases inside the restricted area.

Fortson
He would be a great role player on this team. He needs consistent minutes, somewhere in the neighborhood of 20. My only complaint so far about him is he cannot finish once he gets the offensive rebound. If he could finish he would be a dominant player. He can rebound like Malone but finished like Bradley. And it’s maddening to a degree. But he plays hard, and has done everything that has been asked of him.

Trades
This team is going to need one in a hurry. This team is in desperate need of a center. Dirk is not the answer for it and will never be. Big Z may not be a great player and a little selfish, but he is a true center. He will keep the pounding off of Dirk. That should be the most important priority to the Mavs. To ensure that your best player play his natural position. Other players worth looking at are Dale Davis, and Ostertag. If there was one player off of Portland that is whom I would choose. He is 6’10” and has played the center position for a long time. He plays very physical, and will not have a problem going up against Shaq, Duncan, etc. Ostetag is very much like him only he is a better shotblocker. He rebounds well. He can defend the big men. He has decent mobility. And he is a true center. More so than Davis.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2003, 09:20 PM   #2
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Assorted Ramblings

Quote:
Trades
This team is going to need one in a hurry. This team is in desperate need of a center. Dirk is not the answer for it and will never be. Big Z may not be a great player and a little selfish, but he is a true center. He will keep the pounding off of Dirk. That should be the most important priority to the Mavs. To ensure that your best player play his natural position. Other players worth looking at are Dale Davis, and Ostertag. If there was one player off of Portland that is whom I would choose. He is 6’10” and has played the center position for a long time. He plays very physical, and will not have a problem going up against Shaq, Duncan, etc. Ostetag is very much like him only he is a better shotblocker. He rebounds well. He can defend the big men. He has decent mobility. And he is a true center. More so than Davis.
Good stuff bayliss.. I agree with the above especially. Also the back-up point guard looks to be a big problem unless it gets better with finley coming back.

"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 09:53 PM   #3
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Assorted Ramblings

We really are THAT desperate for a center, mentioning names like Ostertag. But I actually agree, we don't need a superstar, we just need him to do an average job at center. Ostertag would fit the bill.
Old 12-21-2003, 10:04 PM   #4
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

wohooooooo I have had an impact on the board(used my title)lol.
To the points in your post I like what I have seen from Dirk at the end of games after he realizes his shot isn't falling. It is starting to remind me of last year when I would think man Dirk is playing bad and he would end up with 20 an 10. I sometimes feel that Dirk plays worse overall when his shot is falling. He becomes passive and waits for nash to pass him the ball. I am reminded of someone earlier saying that they wanted walker to not have confidence in his 3pt shot and I hope that Dirk is learning that he can be dominant without making 3s so long as he uses the attempts that would have gone to 3s on inside shots or drives. I think that the best for ely trade would accomplish what you want. Ely is very similar to Davis. Don't know how much you guys have seen of him but Ely was a more polished post scorer than Elton Brand was in college. Also that wouldn't mess with the chemistry which I think is fragile because no one knows how long they will be here. Fortson has done everything we asked to bad we cant stretch him to 7 ft. Come on Cuban has money and Im sure some mad scientist would try it. :-)
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 10:45 PM   #5
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Great post, Bayliss. Good way to come out with a positive outlook on recent circumstances.

As for the issue of acquiring a center, my only question is whether we'd be better off acquiring Sabonis with the open roster slot, then acquiring Ostertag in the offseason? I mean, if we plan to keep all of the major components of this team, there's no way to get a Davis, Ostertag, Big Z, Ratliff, A. Davis, or even a player of lesser talents via trade this year, IMO.
Old 12-22-2003, 12:38 AM   #6
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

21 shots per game is excessive. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar attempted only 18.1 shots per game and he's the all time leading scorer in NBA history. The guy who will pass him next year (Malone) is averaging 17.9 shots per game. Anything much over 18 shots per game would be unhealthy for the team.

The rest of the post is dead on!
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 07:40 AM   #7
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

One other thing I'd add to your post, Bayliss...

Nash

With Mike Finley out, he's really re-located his offensive aggressiveness. He's averaging 21 ppg and 9 apg while shooting over 44% from 3 point range. If we can just find someone on the roster to provide him with a consistent 14-16 minutes of rest per game without completely blowing a lead, the team could really get this thing going.

BTW, other than the Clippers game, the Mavs really aren't getting pounded. They're just losing close ones. That can be fixed.

Old 12-22-2003, 09:19 AM   #8
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
One other thing I'd add to your post, Bayliss...

Nash

With Mike Finley out, he's really re-located his offensive aggressiveness. He's averaging 21 ppg and 9 apg while shooting over 44% from 3 point range. If we can just find someone on the roster to provide him with a consistent 14-16 minutes of rest per game without completely blowing a lead, the team could really get this thing going.

BTW, other than the Clippers game, the Mavs really aren't getting pounded. They're just losing close ones. That can be fixed.
Think Pacers. Tinsley/Pollard.
uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 11:48 AM   #9
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Zone
We've discussed it many times but it still boggles my mind why Nellie uses it so much. If the Clippers game isn't an indication of scrapping it, then I guess we'll never scrap it. (Yes I know Donnie was coaching but he used his dad's philosophy last night. Besides, he couldn't go "big". There is no one to go "big" with.) The zxone will never work on the NBA level. Never. The only level it works on is the high school level. That is because too many high school kids are terrible shooters from 17+. Also since the line is closer, recovery from swing passes is much easier. Therefore high school defenses can contest shots better and throwing in the poor shooting... it works. But this is not high school. Any NBA team can beat the zone with penetration and kick, flash to the high post and kick, ball movement, etc. And for most NBA players, you give them a wide open shot they will nail it most of the time. The second problem is does not stop offensive rebounders. Elton Brand had a field day. And he will always have a field day with the zone. The key to preventing a great offensive rebounder is to put your body on his immediately when the shot goes up... and prevent him from getting the rebound. That means that if you are preventing him from the rebound, you probably won't get the rebound. And that takes a team effort. A guy has to say I'll shield so and so... while you go get the ball while I shield him. But no one gets a body on aqnyone while in a zone because they are too busy covering an "area" and not their man. Therefore the offensive rebounder can just go straight to the goal without much resistance and grab all that he wants.

We may be a great overall rebounding team. But we have not improved our defensive rebounding. And I think that is because of the zone and also because Dirk is still our best defensive rebounder. And when he has to shield guys... that leaves rebounds for guys like Fortson and Najera (whom don't defensive rebound that well).
Old 12-22-2003, 04:38 PM   #10
PepperTheMavsFan41

PepperTheMavsFan41 is on a distinguished road

The Sky isnt falling. People are knee jerking.

I do agree about the Zone thou. I HATE the zone. I like it as a change up, to make a run.
I can kill cause in god I trust.
It's EVOLUTION baby.
PepperTheMavsFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 12:47 AM   #11
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

the zone shut down the Lakers Bayliss, remember that? So much for high school level ball.

Our zone is very effective but it requires a lot of hustle on defense which we have rarely seen this season. It doesnt demand as much lateral quickness (some would say zone is a way of hiding that weakness) but it does demand quickness and dominance from the center. Since Bradley is the only one who can rule the paint (Fortson is WAY too slow and too short to play Center in the Zone) we need another center to play it.

To bitch about the zone at this point is stupid- it is a very effective tool Nellie uses (sometimes excessively) to disrupt the opponent's offense. The defenses Nellie has drawn up are so technical that it will take our players a long time to learn them, but having different zones to throw at opponent's is going to be vital to our team when opponents have superior lateral speed.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 02:34 AM   #12
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Erica, if you've seen all the games this season, you'd know how bad the zone is. I hate it, it's the worst defense ever. The zone is good against the Lakers b/c one, they only have 2 or 3 good perimeter shooters, and two, Fisher was scoreless, which usually doesn't happen against Dallas.

Bayliss, although i'm not saying we'll lose, but Christmas Day's game against Sacramento will prove that we need to change defenses.

Dallas is so bad when using the zone, that i think they would be a lot better of using man to man.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 03:37 AM   #13
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Zone is only as bad as it's being played. There are a lot of teams who use the zone these days. The mavs certainly used it effectively last year and it's really effective when shawn is in there.

I don't really understand the ranting against the zone. I seem to remember one stevie franchise ranting about it all four games that they were beaten. Then of course they come out and play it.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 11:52 AM   #14
Bayliss

Yes the zone can be effective at times. But in order for it to work you need a stabilizing shotblocker in the middle... and good perimeter defenders. Last year it worked at the start of the year because Bradley was in the middle, and guys like Raja Bell, Griffin, etc were on the outside. The reason we beat the Lakers is because they really don't have a perimeter threat outside of Fisher. The same for the Spurs.

The zone works sometimes, I agree. But the majority of the time it hurts.
Old 12-24-2003, 03:23 AM   #15
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Nash13
Erica, if you've seen all the games this season, you'd know how bad the zone is. I hate it, it's the worst defense ever. The zone is good against the Lakers b/c one, they only have 2 or 3 good perimeter shooters, and two, Fisher was scoreless, which usually doesn't happen against Dallas.

Bayliss, although i'm not saying we'll lose, but Christmas Day's game against Sacramento will prove that we need to change defenses.

Dallas is so bad when using the zone, that i think they would be a lot better of using man to man.
Dallas sucks right now, not the zone. If we played man to man as badly as we played our zone we would have the same result- free baskets for the opponents. Its the effort not the defensive strategy.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 08:50 AM   #16
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

I think players will never be good defenders while the coach relies on a zone. Josh Howard plays good defense now but will he in a couple of years? Finley was as good as Josh Howard on defense when he first got to Dallas from Phoenix but the constant reliance on the zone (even when it was illegal) and the constant shuffling of players blunted his defensive instincts.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote