Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-22-2003, 12:52 AM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Finley on his role, his return, trade talk, and Howard

Finley expects to return for road trip
Injured Maverick ready for Portland game after missing five starts

Sunday, December 21, 2003
By CHUCK CARLTON / The Dallas Morning News

Michael Finley paid no attention to the talk-radio people who wanted to trade him after the Mavericks won two games in his absence.

"I hadn't heard anything about that," Finley said Sunday. "It will be interesting to see what they say after three losses."

If Finley was underappreciated a week ago, he isn't after missing five games with a sprained right big toe.

His expected return Tuesday against Portland comes at an opportune time.

The Mavericks have lost three consecutive games, their longest losing streak this season.

At 15-11, they had fallen Sunday into a three-way tie for sixth place in the Western Conference.

Finley said the five-game stretch was the most frustrated he has been while injured.

"This stretch when we lost a lot of games, just watching it, my toe seems to hurt even more," Finley said. "I want to be a part of this process because I think it's very important. When I come back, it's going to be important to step in right away and establish my leadership role on the team and get this team going in the right direction."

Finley participated in a light team shootaround Sunday and put himself through a grueling 30-minute workout with player development coach Morlon Wiley.

At one point, Finley hit 16 of 22 3-pointers during a drill. He also went through a series of stops and starts, testing his toe."Before I got hurt I was in a pretty good rhythm. I'm trying to get as close to that as possible before I come back," said Finley, who scored 38 points in his last game. "The way things are progressing, I should be able to go Tuesday."

He has to adjust to a different tape job on the toe and some padding, but said it shouldn't affect him on the court.

"He looked good," assistant coach Donnie Nelson said. "He was moving with a lot of energy."

Finley praised rookie Josh Howard, who averaged 13 points and nine rebounds in the past five games.

But Finley was missed. In games where they've been without at least one of their Big Five, the Mavericks are 5-7.

In his eighth season with the Mavericks, Finley understands how accomplishments can be forgotten and players viewed as expendable.

"That always happens when a guy is injured and not part of the team and the team has success," Finley said. "That's the easy way out.

"I'm still a part of this team ... and I'm going to do my best to lead us in the right direction and get us some wins and happy faces around here."

Nellie still on IR:

Head coach Don Nelson, who missed Saturday's game with the flu, was absent from practice Sunday. The team was hopeful that he would return for Tuesday's road game in Portland, but assistant Donnie Nelson was prepared to sub for his father if necessary.
Old 12-22-2003, 03:41 AM   #2
Jefiner41

Jefiner41 is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Finley On His Return

Very good news! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Of course..I want him to be fully healed if he does play on Tuesday. Lord knows we can't handle any more injuries..

I predict Fin getting at least 20 against Portland..that is, if he plays. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

VOTE FOR DIRK, STEVE, AND OTHERS!
-Los Angeles, CA: Staples Center
All-Star Game
Jefiner41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 09:22 AM   #3
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all
Default RE:Finley On His Return

The Return of the King! Sorry, couldn't resist.