Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-26-2003, 01:02 PM   #1
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road
Default Cowboys - version 2004 (offense only - long)

The Cowboys have had an excellant 1st year under Bill Parcells. Far exceeding everybodys expectations maybe even Parcells himself. The Cowboys will most likely have a 50% chance of winning it's 1st round match against either Minnesota or Green Bay but we all know the chances of a title this year are slim 2 none. So I went ahead and broke down the Cowboys roster and tried to come up with viable options to get us to a point next year where we may be looking at a Super Bowl contender.

Quaterbacks

2003: Quincy Carter - Chad Hutchinson - Tony Romo

Who come's back? - Quincy Carter - Tony Romo
Who's gone? - Chad Hutchinson

I think Quincy has shown enough to warrant a starting position going into camp next year regardless of what the Cowboys do in FA or the draft. For some reason I see Chad being cut and moving on. It's obvious that he will be regulated to backup duty next year and he makes way to much to holding a clip board, especially when the head coach doesn't have the confidence in him if Carter were to be injured. So it may be time for Chad to move on. Unless we don't draft a young QB, Romo looks like he may come back as a 3rd string QB.

So who do we look to fill that backup or possibly giving Carter a run at a starting position? Answer? Rich Gannon. Oakland has made it painfully obvious that they will be going in a different direction next offseason and Gannon is not in there plans, who will most likely be cut at seasons end. He's the veteren that Bill is looking for. Who has won the big game and can be a good influence on Quincy. The only question is could Gannon's knee hold up on the turf at Texas Stadium.

2004 Depth Chart

Quincy Carter - Rich Gannon - Tony Romo

Running Backs

2003: Troy Hambrick - Avien Cason - Eric Bickerstaff - ReShard Lee

Who come's back? - ReShard Lee
Who's gone? - everyone else

This will be the BIGGEST priority on the Cowboys things to do list this offseason. Hambrick has shown flashes of being an everydown back in the NFL, but only against the Washington Redskins of the world. But has been lost in big games. The Cowboys just need to cut ties with him and move on in a different direction. Though Cason did a servicable job on 2003 he will most likely be gone also. Same goes for Bickerstaff and Lee gets regulated to the practice squad again. So where do we go to get our RB? It's looking more and more likely that the Bengals will cut Corey Dillon. Especially with the break-out year that Rudi Johnson is having. Dillon has been linked to the Coyboys for the last few years and Dillon has said that the Cowboys would be a place that he would like to play for. I think he would play for Parcells at a reduced rate to prove to everybody that he's still got what it takes to be a lead horse. Also, Dallas picks Chris Perry, RB, out of Michigan to be the long term fit at the position.

2004 Depth Chart

Corey Dillon - Chris Perry

Fullbacks

2003: Richie Anderson - Jamar Martin

Who's coming back? - Both
Who's gone? - none

Anderson and Martin provide a solid balance between run and block at the fullback position. Anderson in his 1st year has been solidified as one of the leaders on offense and has done nothing but good things since being a Cowboy. Martin has begun to show signs of life late in the season as Parcells has begun to use his battering ram. I just hope that Parcells uses more of him next year.

2004 Depth Chart

Richie Anderson - Jamar Martin

Offensive Line

2003: Flozell Adams - Larry Allen - Javiar Collins - Andre Gurode - Matt Lehr - Torrin Tucker - Kurt Vollers - Tyson Walter - Ryan Young - Gennaro DiNapoli - Al Johnson

Who's coming back? - Adams - Allen - Gurode - Lehr - Tucker - Vollers - Young - Johnson
Who's gone? - Collins - DiNapoli - Walter

The only certain position that's filled for next year will be Flozell at LT. Everything else will left up to speculation. But I still feel that both Allen and Gurode will be our Gaurds next year. I would have bet money that Larry Allen was going to get cut next offseason, but I'm not so sure now with his late season push. I'm hoping...no I'm praying that Al Johnson can get back to full health by training camp and regain his starting spot at center, if that happens things will fall into place for this line. My concern will be RT. It looks like Young cannot be trusted to be that guy and Torrin may not be ready to take over full time there either so I go out and sign Orlando Brown. He has started all 15 games so far with the Ravens at RT. He has been a big reason why Lewis has gained over 2,000 yards this year. For those who didn't know, he was the player that was struck in the eye by an officials flag when he was with the Browns a few years back that left him partially blind in one eye. The Ravens gave him a shot on a one year deal and that has paid off for them two-fold. The Ravens won't tag this guy(they may have to use that on McAlister) and he won't be asking for top tackle money so this is were Parcells can swoop in while other teams are going after other big time tackles like Walter Jones or Orlando Pace and get a solid buy in Brown. So pencil me in (from left to right) for Adams - Allen - Johnson - Gurode - Brown with Lehr - Tucker - Young - Vollers as out backups. Look for Parcells to use a high pick (2 or 3) on a gaurd and other picks for depth on the O-Line.

2004 Depth Chart

Flozell Adams - Larry Allen - Al Johnson - Andre Gurode - Orlando Brown - Matt Lehr - Torrin Tucker - Kurt Vollers - Ryan Young - Draft pick(s)

Wide Receivers

2003: Joey Galloway - Terry Glenn - Antonio Bryant - Randal Williams - Zuriel Smith

Who's coming back? - Terry Glenn - Antonio Bryant - Zuriel Smith
Who's gone? - Joey Galloway - Randal Williams

I'm one of those, like many, who think Keshawn will somehow wind up in Dallas. And what better way then trade Galloway to Tampa for Johnson. The rest of his signing bonus will all be on the 2004 books but KeShawn makes less than Galloway so that helps. I think Parcells knows we need to have that possesion receiver that can go into the middle and catch a ball when it counts, that Antonio was unable to do. Parcells know's how to push Keshawns buttons and will get he best out of him. With Keshawn in the mix...Terry and Antonio will battle for the other starting spot and the slot positions. I'm not a big fan of Zuriel Smith, but I think he makes the squad based on potential. Which is why I think Randall finally doesn't make it next year...potential = no production is not a nice equation when you play for Parcells.
That's why they go and sign Steve Smith from Carolina. The risk is that he's a RFA but he would be like signing two players in one. He would be a tremendous addition to special teams and he would be our 4th WR option.

2004 Depth Chart

KeShawn Johnson - Antonio Bryant - Terry Glenn - Steve Smith - Zuriel Smith

Tight Ends

2003: Dan Campbell - Jason Witten - James Whalen - Jeff Robinson

Who's coming back? - All of them
Who's gone? - none of them

They all serve a purpose in Parcells system. The only thing that may happen is you might see Witten over take Campbell for the starting spot. This kid is ready to explode on the scene and Parcells can't help but gush over this guy. The guy is a gamer and has lots of heart, shown when he came back and played with a broken jaw a week later. Campbell has been nothing but consistant and Whalen and Robinson have there rolls on Special Teams. This is one position that the Boys shouldn't have any worries for 2004.

2004 Depth Chart

Jason Witten - Dan Campbell - James Whalen - Jeff Robinson

So lets recap.....

I trade Joey Galloway to Tampa for KeShawn Johnson

I don't bring back:

Chad Hutchinson
Troy Hambrick
Avien Cason
Eric Bickerstaff
Javiar Collins
Tyson Walter
Gennaro DiNapoli