Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 12-29-2003, 06:10 PM   #1
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road
Default The answer to all Cowboys Fans Prayers!!!!

Steven Jackson

6'3'' 233 lbs.

The next Ricky Williams.......Bill needs to find a way to get his hands on this guy.

(2003, Junior)—Steven had his best game of the 2003 season to date against California, rushing for a season-high 227 yards and seventh best (tie) single-game mark in OSU history. He had a 66-yard run to tie for the 26th longest run in a game. He scored three touchdowns, the third time he has scored three TDs in a game and his 10th multi touchdown game. He accounted for 239 all-purpose yards, which equals the eight-best single-game mark. He owns four of the top eight all-purpose yardage marks at OSU. He has now rushed for over 200 yards four times and owns four of the top eight rushing marks. He is the only OSU player in history to have four 200-yard rushing games. He also had a 38-yard run against California. (ASU)--Steven was held to his lowest rushing output of the season to date when Arizona State limited the Beaver star to 105 yards on the ground. Jackson rushed for one touchdown and totaled 103 all-purpose yards. His 103 all-purpose yards moved him into fourth place on OSU's all-time leader list and he needs just nine more yards to move into third place. (Boise State)--Steven rushed for 122 yards on 30 carries, an average of 4.1. He scored one touchdown, which proved to be the Beavers' winning TD against Boise State. He had 126 all-purpose yards. As a result of his performance against Boise State, Jackson now leads the Pac-10 in rushing (136.25) and all-purpose yards (184.50) and ranks seventh nationally in rushing and fourth nationally in all-purpose yards. He has scored 30 points to date, which ties him for second in the Pac-10 and 27th nationally. Jackson's totals vs. Boise State pushed the junior tailback into the No. 2 spot on OSU's all-time rushing list and his one touchdown scored gives him 26 in his career, which is the second highest career total in OSU history. (New Mexico State)--Jackson rushed for 166 yards, his fourth-highest ever single-game mark, vs. New Mexico State. It was the 27th best rushing game in OSU history. He rushed for a pair of touchdowns, his ninth multi-touchdown game. He has moved into third place in career scoring with 174 points. He accounted for 181 all-purpose yards, giving him 3,142 career all-purpose yards, fifth best at OSU. (Fresno State)--Jackson rushed for 128 yards and a touchdown and caught five passes for 116 yards vs. Fresno State for 244 all-purpose yards, a career best and sixth best single-game mark in OSU history. His 116 receiving yards is a career best and ties for 41st best single-game mark in OSU history. He caught a 66-yard pass from Derek Anderson, which ties for the 26th longest pass play in OSU history. He moved into third place in career rushing, sixth in career all-purpose yards and into a tie for fourth in career scoring as a result of his stats at Fresno State. After two games, he leads the Pac-10 in rushing and all-purpose yards and ranks 15th and fifth nationally, respectively. (Sacramento State)--Jackson opened the 2003 season with 129 yards rushing and 187 all-purpose yards vs. Sacramento State. The game was his 11th 100-yard rushing game. He scored two touchdowns and caught four passes for 58 yards. Steven, after one game, he ranked second in the Pac-10 and 15th nationally in rushing (129.0) per game. He ranked second in the Pac-10 and 13th nationally in all-purpose yards (187.0) per game. He was tied for second in the Pac-10 and 15th nationally in scoring with 12.0 points per game.

2003 PRESEASON HONORS

Selected first team All-American by Athlon Sports
Selected first team All-Pacific-10 by Athon Sports
Selected second team All-American by The Sporting News
Selected as the fourth best running back in the nation by The Sporting News
Selected first team All-American by College Football News.com
Selected as one of the top 10 preseason Heisman Trophy candidates by Sports Illustrated.com
Jackson broke the Beavers’ school record for rushing (1,690) and all-purpose yards (1,855) in 2002...he has played in 23 games at OSU, including 13 straight starts...he has rushed for over 100 yards 10 times, including a school-record tying nine times in 2002, and has been over 200 yards three times, an OSU record for one season of play...he is currently sixth on OSU’s career rushing list with 2,080 yards and 12th on the all-purpose list with 2,530 yards...He is tied for seventh in career scoring with 144 points...he rushed for 239 yards vs. California in 2002 for the second-best single-game mark in OSU history...his 230 yards vs. Stanford is the fifth best and his 227 yards vs. Fresno State is the seventh best...Steven also accounted for 12 plays during the season that were 25 yards or more, including TD runs of 80, 75, 60, 58 and 42 yards. Steven rushed for 119 yards vs. USC as a freshman in 2001 for his first 100-yard game...he had a streak of five-straight 100-yard rushing games stopped in the Insight Bowl vs. Pittsburgh when he was held to a season low 34 yards...Steven has an unbelievable combination of size and speed...he is also very durable and gets stronger as the game progresses...he wears down opposing defensive people...during the off-season, Steven accounted for the fastest 40 time in school history at 4.30 and the third best vertical jump of 38 inches...his career weightlifting bests are 520 in the back squat, 355 in the bench press, 314.2 in the power clean and 297.6 in the push press.

Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2003, 03:40 AM   #2
Kid California

Kid California is on a distinguished road
Default RE:The answer to all Cowboys Fans Prayers!!!!

I dont think he will still be available unless we trade up. He is a heck of a running back, size, speed, good hands. Jones seems to be the first rb taken, probably by the lions. Then after that, steelers, bucs and pats have an interest in him. The only way i feel like we have a chance to grab this kid is if Lions pass on Jones to grab another need, probably defensively, then the steelers pick up jones, because the bus is out of gas and amos hasnt proven he can be the everyday starter, the bucs take a WR to replace Johnson, probably Reggie Williams and Michael Clayton who will still be on the board, and the Pats decide that they can fill another need with that pick and use their last 1st round pick on a RB like Chris Perry or Cadillac if he comes out. I've even heard that Perry can go before Jackson if one of those teams decide to take a RB because scouts feel he can be a Eddie George type player. The Pats are the biggest threat to take this guy. We have other needs, but i lost faith in hambrick. Hope we select Jackson. Doesnt Baltimore's 1st pick belong to the Pats? So doesnt that mean we can pick ahead of the pats if the ravens advance further? I'm gonna pray everynight from now until the draft.
Kid California is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 08:12 AM   #3
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road

nice post cali kid...

and yes the pats pick 21st (Balt. pick), one ahead of the Cowboys so they they can use that pick for need so they might be looking RB.
I really think the Bucs may look to pick up Jackson. The Cowboys need to trade up in the top 10 to secure someone of Jacksons talent.
Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 04:52 PM   #4
Kid California

I dont think that the Bucs will take a RB with their 1st rounder. They have many holes to fill especially at the WR position. Keenan stepped it up but their number 2 option is Charles Lee. They already have a couple of decent RBs in Pittman and Jones, both had pretty good yards per carry, and one of them would have been a thousand yard rusher if they hadnt split the carries. Pittman is the second leading reciever on the team. But problem is Jones is a free agent. BUT, Sapp is also, and if they resign him, they probably wont have enough cap room to sign that impact WR so they will have adress that in the draft, then if they dont resign sapp, they will probably address that with their first rounder, probably the DT out of Texas. But who knows, maybe Jackson will have a great work out and he will be out of our reach.
Old 12-30-2003, 05:17 PM   #5
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: The answer to all Cowboys Fans Prayers!!!!

DT out of Texas? is Marcus Tubbs rated that high?

Greg Jones could be a steal around the 4th round. I'd be interested to see what he times out at.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:30 PM   #6
Kid California

Wilfork,Starks, then Tubbs in that order, but it could be debated who goes first between starks and tubbs, but i think tubbs can drop to the second round if starks in taken in the first. Wonder if the boys will be interested.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:55 PM   #7
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't doubt it. Word is Bill wanted a Tackle this year. This year's draft doesn't look like it will be as loaded at the defensive tackle spot though.
Old 12-31-2003, 12:06 AM   #8
Kid California

Tubbs is dropping down the boards, read he is not a hard worker and doesnt care if he if he is getting average numbers. Think he is ranked 6th among DT now.
Old 12-31-2003, 01:39 AM   #9
MikeB
Golden Member

MikeB has a spectacular aura aboutMikeB has a spectacular aura about

Easy way to fix that problem...offer the Bucs your first and 2nd and you can have our #15 so you can get Jackson. Deal?
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 02:47 AM   #10
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

I can't help but think Cedric Cobbs will end up as a Cowboy. I don't know if he'll even get drafted, but you know JJ won't let a Razorback like Cobbs go jobless. Not to mention, I want Cobbs on the Boys. He's got unbelievable strength with breakaway speed. If he could remain healthy at all, he would have been a top 3 RB in this draft.
Old 12-31-2003, 03:03 AM   #11
Kid California

We could trade up, but right now, there is no telling where Jackson will end up. Like i mentioned, there are 4 or 5 teams ahead of us that need a RB, so that means he could go as high as the 6th pick(Lions). If that happens i would like to see the boys take Greg Jones out of Florida St. Would have been a top pick if he decided to come out earlier, then he injured his knee..(Mcgahee situation)

Ht: 6-1.5 Wt: 250 40: 4.58 Number: 6

The Good: Big, powerful workhorse back coming off major knee surgery. Patient ball carrier that waits for blocks to develop, sees the field and will pick and choose his spots. Displays a darting style, decent footwork and bounces it around defenders or piles. Finds the running lanes and open area on the field. Has a punishing style, runs through defenders and picks up a lot of yardage off initial contact. Always keeps the play in bounds, works his runs then falls forward when tackled, picking up extra yardage. Decent hands out of the backfield. Strong at the point blocking.

The Bad: Had major knee surgery last November after tearing the joint against Wake Forest. Lacks true breakaway speed. Could pick up the blocking intensity and give consistent effort.

The Skinny: Jones was well on his way to being the first back drafted last season had he left for the NFL until the injury of early November. Combines a lot of different skills with an overpowering style on the inside yet Jones also displays the agility to get around tackle and cut the corner. A heavy duty back that can handle a lot of hand-offs, though his knee must be thoroughly checked next February.
Old 12-31-2003, 03:06 AM   #12
Kid California

The Play that ended his season
Old 12-31-2003, 09:23 AM   #13
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough

greg Jones

Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 10:32 AM   #14
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Greg Jones is a possible sleeper in this draft, but like I said earlier, I want to see his workouts and 40 times. A good friend of mine is an FSU fan thus I hate FSU. As a result, I've watched most of their games over the past couple of years hoping for their downfall. Greg Jones clearly wasn’t the same back after the injury. He only averaged 4.2 yards per carry this year (down from 5.6 and 5.8), very pedestrian by college standards. Like I said, I'd be really nervous about taking him before the 4th.
Old 12-31-2003, 04:27 PM   #15
DNNF
Golden Member

DNNF will become famous soon enoughDNNF will become famous soon enough

Cowboys should go for an offensive line man next year to compliment Allen and Adams on other side. With their middle to late first round pick, I highly doubt that they would land any quality RB that can produce right away. Rumors that the Bills will let go of Travis Henry and make Willis McGahee to become their main back. Parcell and Jones should definitely jump on this opportunity if they can.

DNNF is offline   Reply With Quote