Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 12-31-2003, 01:22 PM   #1
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Calling all movie Buffs! help me out!

ok, I saw a few flicks this year....but very few good ones.......

its quite simple..give me your top five movies of 2003....I'm open to seeing any type or genre of film!

My top two this year were #1. Return of the King #2. Identity (underrated greatness)

just the flicks you thought rocked!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2003, 01:39 PM   #2
Walkerforthree
Golden Member

Walkerforthree is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Calling all movie Buffs! help me out!

1. Return of the King
2. Mystic River
3. Master and Commander
4. Identity
5. House of Sand and Fog
Walkerforthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 01:41 PM   #3
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Walkerforthree
1. Return of the King
2. Mystic River
3. Master and Commander
4. Identity
5. House of Sand and Fog
I've great things about Mystic River!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 12-31-2003, 01:47 PM   #4
Walkerforthree
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
Quote:
1. Return of the King
2. Mystic River
3. Master and Commander
4. Identity
5. House of Sand and Fog
I've great things about Mystic River!
Its awesome, I loved it.
Old 12-31-2003, 02:53 PM   #5
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of
Default RE: Calling all movie Buffs! help me out!

1. Once Upon A Time in Mexico
2. Pirates of the Caribbean
3. The Italian Job
4. Matrix Reloaded
5. Wrong Turn/The Hulk

as fas as disappointments go, SWAT and Bad Boys2.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 03:28 PM   #6
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

Based primarily on my feelings after leaving the theater

1. Return of the king
2. Pirates of the Caribbean
3. 25th Hour
4. School of Rock
5. Elf

had to add those two comedies on the end. the best comedies of the year for me. and remarkably, both comedies that i think kids (not real little kids) would enjoy.

honorable mention - X2, Identity, American Wedding (just cause it took me completely by surprise. I thought it was going to suck). Stuck on You was also surprisingly decently good.

disappointments - the matrix sequels. i was excited for them and they really disappointed. i was MORE excited for two towers and return of the king than the matrix sequels, and they more than exceeded my expectations.

i still need to see mystic river. and i've heard good things about Big Fish.
Old 12-31-2003, 03:36 PM   #7
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Psychedelic Fuzz is on a distinguished road

I thought League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was good, even though it got ripped by the critics. That said,it was a little strange when I saw it. There were a couple of literary references where I was the only one in the theatre who picked up on the gag.
Having a 3 year old around means I go see every "family" movie that comes out. Brother Bear was a solid film in the Disney tradition, and Finding Nemo was really good.

Psychedelic Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 04:18 PM   #8
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

PFuzz, are you familiar with the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen comic book?
Old 12-31-2003, 05:36 PM   #9
Walkerforthree
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Big Boy Laroux
the comic is great
Old 12-31-2003, 05:45 PM   #10
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by: Big Boy Laroux
the comic is great
The second series didn't do much for me but the original series was greatness.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 06:12 PM   #11
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

1. Return of the King
2. Return of the King
3. Mystic River
4. Return of the King
5. Finding Nemo

edit: To explain that since I've had kids I dont get the chance to go very often to the movies.... I only saw four movies this year in the theater, the three above and Phone Booth. Phone Booth sucked though so I didn't include it.
Old 12-31-2003, 06:21 PM   #12
V
Golden Member

V has a spectacular aura aboutV has a spectacular aura about

1. Swimming Pool
2. Mystic River
3. 21 Grams
4. Step Into Liquid
5. Lost in Translation

"If there's no more questions, I've got a beer that needs consuming."
-- Don Nelson
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 06:31 PM   #13
Walkerforthree
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: V
1. Swimming Pool
2. Mystic River
3. 21 Grams
4. Step Into Liquid
5. Lost in Translation
I enjoyed lost in translation, but 21 grams didn't do much for me.
Old 12-31-2003, 06:51 PM   #14
V
Golden Member

Quote:
Quote:
1. Swimming Pool
2. Mystic River
3. 21 Grams
4. Step Into Liquid
5. Lost in Translation
I enjoyed lost in translation, but 21 grams didn't do much for me.
Yea... iffy putting it that high... I was going for some non-obvious stuff for Sike's list. I did like the nonlinear structure though & I think it's cinematically superior to most others in 2003... but it's not very accessible. If you like a good independent film - I highly recommend Swimming Pool. LINK

Step Into Liquid is a surfing documentary. I'm not a surfer... and while it can be full of platitudes... it is worth watching.

Lost in Translation is genious.

-- Don Nelson
Old 12-31-2003, 06:57 PM   #15
V
Golden Member

Quote:
1. Return of the King
2. Mystic River
3. Master and Commander
4. Identity
5. House of Sand and Fog
House of Sand & Fog would've made my list but the casting of the cop cheezed it out a little. Brilliant performnce by Jennifer Connelly though. Extra points for being hot... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

-- Don Nelson
Old 12-31-2003, 06:57 PM   #16
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
[i]

Lost in Translation is genious.

I've heard this from every one who saw it....Bill Murray is perfect!

Old 01-01-2004, 01:36 AM   #17
Walkerforthree
Golden Member

Quote:
Quote:
1. Return of the King
2. Mystic River
3. Master and Commander
4. Identity
5. House of Sand and Fog
House of Sand & Fog would've made my list but the casting of the cop cheezed it out a little. Brilliant performnce by Jennifer Connelly though. Extra points for being hot... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
she is really hot. I agree with the casting for the cop. I have a friend who was born Iran and I saw the movie with him, he thought Kingsley was a fairly apt choice as an Iranian.
Old 01-01-2004, 03:03 AM   #18
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Without regard to numbers:

Mystic River
Lost in Translation
American Splendor
House of Sand and Fog
Kim Roy

and the winner for best film is:

A tie !!!!!! Lost in Translation...and American Splendor.

Best Director: Sofia Coppola (after Godfather3 who would have bet on THAT !)
Best Actor: Sean Penn
Best Actress: Jennifer C.

Thats it for creative, interesting and rewarding films...

When all is said and done....it's about Marketing...and Return of the Kings...a great choice...and made for demographics; it will sweep the Oscars this year...everyone needs fantasy. But if you've already seen it: go see the first 4 films that I mentioned.

Old 01-01-2004, 11:54 AM   #19
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

1. LOTR
2. Last Samurai
3. Matrix (Didn't like the ending thought)
4. X2
5. T3

Notables:

Hulk was ok if you weren't a comic fan. I read the comics extensively and didn't like the way they changed the story

Gothika was supposed to be scary but wasn't

Identity was entertaining.
Old 01-01-2004, 12:05 PM   #20
sike
The Preacha

Quote:

and the winner for best film is:

A tie !!!!!! Lost in Translation...and American Splendor.

OP, tell me about American Splendor....I will see Lost in Translation(like I said...I've heard nothing but words like genius\greatness\wonderful\kickin\oscar worthy\etc.) but Did not hear much about American Splendor....give me the scoop!

Old 01-01-2004, 10:33 PM   #21
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Sure Sike - this description is from the Internet movie database site.

*comedy/drama/autobiography/comic-book adaptation/documentary of disgruntled Cleveland based Harvey

Pekar (Giamatti in an uncanny Oscar caliber turn), a curmudgeonly comic book artist who incorporates his loser existence as a low-level file clerk of a Veterans Hospital gains pop culture/underground hero status after his semi-autobiographical creation `Ameican Splendor' takes off with some critical acclaim
and cult status. The film follows his gradual climb into the quasi-mainstream with his friendship with celebrated cartoonist Robert Crumb (equally uncanny Urbaniak), his unlikely spouse Joyce Brabner (Davis equally fine in a barely recognizable turn deglammed not unlike Cameron Diaz in `Being John Malkovich') and his frequent guest spots on `Late Night with David Letterman' cementing his reputation as an unsavory cranky Everyman. Wisely filmmakers Shari Springer Berman and Robert Pulcini allow the
fourth wall to be broken down and let the real-life subjects address their narration as well as the proceedings at hand with their motley assortment of friends and co-workers. Giamatti's frequent furrowed brow/scowl, gravelly voice and question mark posture also miraculously shows the less nasty side of Pekar to escape during his bout with cancer and acceptance of family values. One of the year's best films.

Sike - It's a combination of film and animation that blendss the actors and the real life subjects of the film. It takes a lot of risk and tries a lot of things that other films won't. It's just funny and thoughtful from start to finish. I admit to loving films that try new things and this is one of them. it's going to be VERY hard to find in any theater. If you're familiar with Rcrumb, that's a bonus.
Old 01-02-2004, 12:44 PM   #22
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

marketing or not, return of the king was an awe-inspiring epic. certainly the best movie of the year for me.
Old 01-02-2004, 06:51 PM   #23
sike
The Preacha

moives I will definitely see thanks to ya'll:

American Spendor---thanks OP!

Lost in Translation---thanks V and OP!

25th hour---thanks BBL(by the by, I just saw School of Rock last night....great movie for kids and music fans alike!)

Mystic River---Everyone!(sounds awesome!)

thanks again for helping a guy in need of cinematic refueling![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-02-2004, 11:54 PM   #24
OutletPass
Diamond Member

Originally posted by BBL:
"marketing or not, return of the king was an awe-inspiring epic. certainly the best movie of the year for me."

ROTK is a great choice, as I said, but since Sike had seen it, there wasn't any reason to recommend it for his future pleasure. It's just me, BBL, but I prefer a film that advances the art, rather than just entertains. No disrespect to you at all, old friend, but a bunch of other "awe inspiring epics" don't hold up too well over time. Try watching another "Best Picture epic" ...I'll cite Ben Hur. Some great scenes, but just a joke in hindsight.

Clever and intelligent always beats mass entertainment; no matter how well staged. Always has and always will.

Citizen Kane was a box office disaster....

Old 01-03-2004, 01:51 PM   #25
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally posted by: OutletPass
Originally posted by BBL:
"marketing or not, return of the king was an awe-inspiring epic. certainly the best movie of the year for me."

LOTR is a great choice, as I said, but since Sike had seen it, there wasn't any reason to recommend it for his future pleasure. It's just me, BBL, but I prefer a film that advances the art, rather than just entertains. No disrespect to you at all, old friend, but a bunch of other "awe inspiring epics" don't hold up too well over time. Try watching another "Best Picture epic" ...I'll cite Ben Hur. Some great scenes, but just a joke in hindsight.

Clever and intelligent always beats mass entertainment; no matter how well staged. Always has and always will.

Citizen Kane was a box office disaster....
and is by far my favorite movie of all time!

Old 01-03-2004, 03:32 PM   #26
Super_B

Super_B is on a distinguished road

Let me preface this by saying, I didn't see many movies in 2003, so my list may not have the best films on it.

In no particular order:

Terminator 3
Finding Nemo
S.W.A.T.
Cheaper by the Dozen

Pretty lame I guess, by when I do go, it's ussualy with my family which includes my 3 year old daughter.
Old 01-03-2004, 04:45 PM   #27
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I didn’t spend a great deal of time in the movie theaters last year, but I can give you my .02 on what I did see.

Bad Santa - great movie. Yes, it was filthy and offensive and often times predictable, and I probably would’ve never gave it a second thought - but when I found out it was a Coen brothers project, I decided I had to go see it. I wasn’t disappointed. The main character “Willie”, played by Billy Bob Thornton is an bitter, alcoholic scam artist that takes on Santa jobs to gain easy access to malls. I’ve never seen a Christmas movie so heavily laced with intense cynicism. The humor was mostly sophomoric in nature, but still hysterical. At certain points in the movie, I’m sure I should have felt offended, but I was so busy rolling over, laughing my ass off, that my “self-righteous hat” fell completely off my head and rolled into the front row. Not everybody felt the same...several audience members walked out...which actually made me laugh all the more.

On a side note: The Coen brothers have another movie coming out this summer call “The Ladykillers” starring Tom Hanks - I can’t wait.

Buffalo Soldiers - This was originally released in foreign countries in 2001, but had a limited release in the states this year. It stars Joaquin Phoenix and is about a corrupt supply clerk living in Germany right before the fall of the Berlin Wall. It was initially shelved in the states because the powers that be didn’t think it was an appropriate time to release a movie that might be viewed as anti-patriotic - which is B.S. because the movie is really not political and only satirical on a subtle level. The story revolves around “Ray Elwood” who starts the film off by letting the audience know that even though “War is Hell, Peace is Fu#king Boring” - so he occupies his time by selling shipments of stolen goods, small arms, and oh yeah...heroin. Ed Harris also stars in it and is absolutely amazing. Buffalo Soldiers is scheduled to be released on DVD sometimes this month.

Return of the King - yep, I liked it a lot too. Even though it will probably be best known for its large scale production and huge battle scenes my favorite parts were 1)Smeagol/Gollum’s opening flashback/monologue and 2) The sequence where Pippin is singing, Lord Denethor is eating his dinner, and Faramir is fighting the hopeless battle at Osgiliath.

Pirates of the Carribean- If you’re a big Johnny Depp fan (which I am), this movie is worth watching because he gives a very entertaining performance. Other than that, this movie is pretty much garbage.

Mystic River- This film is based on a novel by Dennis Lehane and will be a strong contender for Best Picture, but its more likely that Penn will pick up the Oscar for this one - and possibly Kevin Bacon. It’s a really, really good story and well acted, well told - great dialogue. Its just a solid, good movie.

Big Fish - Just saw this one this week. I love Tim Burton’s films, but I can’t honestly say I was all that thrilled with this one. Its basically about a son who is trying to get to know his father better, but is frustrated because his father only likes to tell these wild-ass stories. So the movie becomes a series of crazy tales as remembered by the son, or told by the father. I like the premise, I think it had potential - but I didn’t find it even remotely entertaining, or thought-provoking, or even funny. I think part of it was the casting. I’ve never seen Ewan McGregor give anything other than a flat performance. And Billy Crudup just simply can not act his way out of wet paper bag (pardon the cliche).

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 09:48 AM   #28
sike
The Preacha

it would appear that mary only sees good movies!

Old 01-04-2004, 04:58 PM   #29
Walkerforthree
Golden Member

I disliked Pirates of the Carribean, pretty bad movie. I like Deep as a actor, hate him as a person. But I don't blame him for why the movie sucked. Too watered down, cheey, unrealistic, little to no historical accuracy.
Old 01-04-2004, 05:01 PM   #30
Walkerforthree
Golden Member

I really think Ben Kingsley deserves some serious credit. He was extremely effective and quite accurate as a American Citizen, Native of Iran. Its funny, because he really reminds me of a friend of mine who I saw House of Sand and Fog with, my friend is an American Citizen, but lived in Iran for 18 years.
Old 01-04-2004, 05:02 PM   #31
OutletPass
Diamond Member

SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER

Sunday, January 4, 2004 · Last updated 4:48 a.m. PT

National critics hail 'Splendor,' Theron

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

NEW YORK -- "American Splendor," the life story of a grumpy file clerk who attains cult celebrity status by becoming a comic book writer, took best picture honors at the National Society of Film Critics awards Saturday.

Clint Eastwood's working class crime drama "Mystic River" was second in the voting for best picture and Sofia Coppola's "Lost in Translation," a quirky tale of two Americans finding friendship while in Japan, took third.

Old 01-04-2004, 05:04 PM   #32
Walkerforthree
Golden Member

American Splendor was a good film, however, I think it has to have you already interested in the basic concept of the movie, I liked it, but didn't love it. It was deinately well done though.
Old 01-05-2004, 12:03 PM   #33
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

hey, OP, it wasn't anything against you. and i wanted to see every movie on your list, but just don't get to the theaters as much.

and yes, ben-hur does seem somewhat silly in hindsight. to me, it's heston's performance. or maybe just heston in general. who knows, years down the line, return of the king may look like crap (special effects-wise) against the movies of the time... but return of the king (and the entire tirology) is certainly (in my mind), one of the best (if not THE best) action/adventure movies ever. and i certainly admit that my love for the books makes it even more special for me.

wow, i had a lot of parentheses in that paragraph.

an no offense taken, i assure you. i enjoy artistic films as well. but if i'm paying 8 bucks a pop, it's gonna be for the movies that are enhanced by theater-viewing... the actions and comedies (although i do see some other movies in theaters as well). i'll definitely be catching most of the movies listed here when they come out on dvd (i don't think american spledor had much of a run here in nashville).
Old 01-05-2004, 12:08 PM   #34
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
wow, i had a lot of parentheses in that paragraph.
Yeah(if you ask me)[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-05-2004, 07:09 PM   #35
OutletPass
Diamond Member

No problem BBL...as I said I thought ROTK was a really fine film. I LOVE talking movies with friends.

i'm sure "american Splendor" had a short run in Nashville...it really only played the art houses in the biggest cities...and wasn't even in Dallas more than a month or so. It was wildly popular everywhere it played...the per-theater grosses were incredible...but it's a small film for particular tastes....

my tastes are pretty wide, but I am partial to really interesting, "thinking" films...and I'm aware that's not for everyone...nor should it be. it's funny...I mentioned that Sike should see 4 films...3 of them got the top 3 awards from the National Film Critics later on....not bad, eh ?
Old 01-05-2004, 07:25 PM   #36
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

some films are pleasing to the mind and to the eye.....ROTK happens to be one of them.

Mary, you couldn't have been more right when you said:
Quote:
Return of the King - yep, I liked it a lot too. Even though it will probably be best known for its large scale production and huge battle scenes my favorite parts were 1)Smeagol/Gollum’s opening flashback/monologue and 2) The sequence where Pippin is singing, Lord Denethor is eating his dinner, and Faramir is fighting the hopeless battle at Osgiliath.
they were without a doubt two of the best scenes in the movie. One of the other scenes that I enjoyed was when Gandalf calmly reassured Pippin by putting his hand on his shoulder...no words..nothing. Ian McKellen was absolutely brilliant.

I'm usually prompt about seeing high quality movies when they come out..but, I've yet to see:

Mystic River
Lost in Translation
Big Fish
Bad Santa
Cheaper by the Dozen
House of Sand and Fog
American Splendor

I'm falling behind a bit...
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 07:38 PM   #37
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

I concur with mary and Murph on the scene involviing Lord Denethor eating his dinner. Jackson was a master at capturing the shame that Denethor should have been feeling during that entire sequence. Who knew a Hobbit could sing so well? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

*SPOILER*

One scene that I thought was awesome/moving was the sequence at the end in Mordor with Frodo and Sam on the island coming to grips with what seemed to be end of their lives, surrounded by molten lava. Though I hope I never have to ponder my life and what could have been while being faced with doom, watching those two do that was gut wrenching (and I read the books, so I knew what was coming).

*END OF SPOILER*
Old 01-05-2004, 07:46 PM   #38
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

there were so many moments like that U2..when they're coming to grips with the fact that they may not survive..or will not survive.

The movie is more about the bonds that bind..the friendships. ROTK allowed the Hobbits to steal the show, and steal the show they did.
Old 01-05-2004, 07:53 PM   #39
Murphy3
Guru

NY Critics Crown "King" Top Film of '03; SF & Boston Critics Also Weigh In

by Eugene Hernandez

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King" was named best picture of the year by the 35 member New York Film Critics Circle, the nation's leading critics organization. The New Line film, the third installment in the "Lord of the Rings" saga, is debuting in theaters on Tuesday night with special midnight screenings.

"Lost In Translation" from Focus Features nabbed two prizes, winning a best actor award for Bill Murray and a best director prize for Sofia Coppola. Insiders noted that she is the first American woman to receive the honor from the New York critics; Jane Campion from Australia is also a past winner.

Year-end awards hopefuls "Mystic River," "21 Grams," "Cold Mountain," "In America," and "The Last Samurai" were among the movies shunned by the NYC critics group this year. Film critics in San Francisco and Boston also announced awards. San Francisco critics and New York's online film critics group chose "Lost in Translation" as their top film, while Boston critics selected "Mystic River" as their favorite. Critics in Los Angeles and Chicago has decided to cancel their honors as a result of the MPAA screener ban but both groups recently confirmed that they will indeed present awards this year.

"It was a great year for all kinds of movies and I think the diversity of our choices reflect that," offered NYFCC chairman and Radar film critic Andrew Johnston in a statement Monday.

The New York prize for best screenplay went to Craig Lucas for "The Secret Lives of Dentists." The film was also named in the best actress category; Hope Davis nabbed the nod for her work in "Dentists" and in Fine Line's "American Splendor."

"Splendor" was also awarded the prize for best first film. It marks the narrative feature debut of directors Shari Springer Berman and Robert Pulcini, the duo also directed the doc feature, "Off the Menu: The Last Days of Chasen's."

"City of God" from Miramax, which has been playing in New York City since its debut in January, won the award for best foreign film.

The award for best documentary went to Andrew Jarecki's "Capturing the Friedmans" from Magnolia Pictures. The doc has been a critical favorite since its debut over the summer.

The awards for best animated film went to "The Triplets of Belleville" from Sony Pictures Classics.

In supporting actor categories, Eugene Levy was selected for his work on "A Mighty Wind" from Warner Bros. while Shohreh Aghdashloo was honored as supporting actress for her work in "House of Sand and Fog" from Dreamworks.

Harris Savides was named best cinematographer of the year for his work on two Gus Van Sant films, "Elephant" and "Gerry."

The New York critics will present their annual awards at a dinner in Manhattan on January 11.
Old 01-06-2004, 01:07 AM   #40
OutletPass
Diamond Member

From Murphy3's Post about the NYC film critics awards:
"Lost In Translation" from Focus Features nabbed two prizes, winning a best actor award for Bill Murray and a best director prize for Sofia Coppola. Insiders noted that she is the first American woman to receive the honor from the New York critics; "American Splendor" was also awarded the prize for best first film.

---just a few more of them.