Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-05-2004, 11:55 AM   #1
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about
Default Major Area of Concern

Although I think we need at least one other big guy (two if Bradley goes out for season), my biggest area of concern is the back up PG.

I thought Best was a good pickup but it has been long enough for him to become acclimated. I hate the idea of going past the trade deadline with our current backups at PG Best/Delk. If Daniels is to be counted at backup PG, then he needs to get some time there now.
uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2004, 11:59 AM   #2
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Major Area of Concern

actually, I think Best may have just come back to being a decent back up point...check out his game of late.....fairly productive...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 12:17 PM   #3
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Major Area of Concern

I've campaigned recently for Daniels to get the backup PG job, but I guess I have renewed hope regarding Best after his play in the last few games.

Nellie recently contracted the rotation and basically eliminated the backup PG spot. Starting with the Milwaukee game at home on Tuesday, he changed that and went back to using Best again. Since he has, Best has been effective. His numbers are never going to be pretty in this system, but the most important number to me is this: When he is in the game, do we lose ground on the scoreboard? That has been the biggest problem for the majority of the season -- we look like a different team without Nash in the game. Well, over the past 3 games, the Mavs have actually increased their lead with Best in the game. That's an encouraging sign. Best has pushed the ball better, and he hasn't hurt the team. I don't think you can ask much more from your backup PG, except maybe to convince Nellie to play him 14 mpg.

Old 01-05-2004, 12:31 PM   #4
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
His numbers are never going to be pretty in this system, but the most important number to me is this: When he is in the game, do we lose ground on the scoreboard?
great point kg, all we are asking of Best is, "dont suck, hold the lead until Steve can get back"....I think he can accomplish that now that he is coming out of this prolonged funk!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 12:49 PM   #5
LoveMyMavs14

LoveMyMavs14 is on a distinguished road

Actually, when he was in, we GAINED ground, Pinto and Ortegal were discussing that. Pretty unusual, but I can't say I'm disappointed to see it.
LoveMyMavs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 12:56 PM   #6
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Right. That's what I said.

Quote:
Well, over the past 3 games, the Mavs have actually increased their lead with Best in the game.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-05-2004, 01:14 PM   #7
LoveMyMavs14

LoveMyMavs14 is on a distinguished road

Oops, my mistake.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Great minds think alike, I suppose.
LoveMyMavs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 01:47 PM   #8
uberfan
Golden Member

I haven't seen the last couple of games. All I want is for Best, or whoever is the backup PG, to play 15 minutes a night and keep it close to where it was when Nash was on the floor.

I don't expect them to gain ground and wouldn't be surprised if they lost a tad, but keep it close. Anything else is a major plus.
Old 01-05-2004, 02:22 PM   #9
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Originally posted by: LoveMyMavs14
Oops, my mistake.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Great minds think alike, I suppose.
Naturally. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quote:
Originally posted by: uberfan
I haven't seen the last couple of games. All I want is for Best, or whoever is the backup PG, to play 15 minutes a night and keep it close to where it was when Nash was on the floor.

I don't expect them to gain ground and wouldn't be surprised if they lost a tad, but keep it close. Anything else is a major plus.
Exactly. That's all a backup is supposed to do.

I think if we can get a combination of guys (Fortson, Bradley, new acquisitions) to provide 30 decent minutes at center, we should be fine.

Old 01-05-2004, 02:45 PM   #10
uberfan
Golden Member

Quote:
I think if we can get a combination of guys (Fortson, Bradley, new acquisitions) to provide 30 decent minutes at center, we should be fine.
I totally agree with that strategy. My only question is can Bradley play 12-15 minutes a game the rest of the season and into the playoffs with his back injury? This is something the team doctors should be able to tell management. If he cannot go, then put him on IL and bring in 2 guys 6'10" or taller to rotate with Fortson.

If Bradley can go and we add a McCoy, N'diaye, Moore, or even an Amaechi if he's released, then we don't need to make any more trades this year and we can afford to let the current roster have the entire year including the playoffs to see how they will "gel".

Old 01-05-2004, 02:45 PM   #11
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

I sure hope the depth chart ends up: New acquisitions, Bradley, Fortson as opposed to the way you randomly listed in in your previous message KG... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-05-2004, 02:54 PM   #12
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Originally posted by: uberfan

If Bradley can't go and we add a McCoy, N'diaye, Moore, or even an Amaechi if he's released, then we don't need to make any more trades this year and we can afford to let the current roster have the entire year including the playoffs to see how they will "gel".
Exactly. I think they can even swing a minor trade to add another center, if necessary or perhaps convince Sabonis to come back to the States. If you can survive this year, there are a ton of FA centers coming available. Add 1-2 of those guys, and you should be set for a while.

Old 01-05-2004, 02:55 PM   #13
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Originally posted by: Male22Dan
I sure hope the depth chart ends up: New acquisitions, Bradley, Fortson as opposed to the way you randomly listed in in your previous message KG... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Dan, personally I hope the depth chart is Bradley, Fortson, and then the new guys, unless the new guys are acquired by trade.

Old 01-05-2004, 03:08 PM   #14
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding the backup PG spot, I've been encouraged by Best's recent play, so as of right now I'm back to being optimistic about our situation there. I say let's get the best available big on the FA market (Mamadou gets my vote for his shot blocking) and go from there. The Big 3 are back to being their old selves. We've got three very good players to compliment them in AJ, AW, and JHO. We just need solid and consistent contributions from Best, and we need to get about 25 or so decent minutes per game from our centers (don't care if it's a different one each night. We just need somebody to show up each game and play some defense and rebound).

As to the possibility of siging two FA C's and dumping Stefannson, I'd only do that if the second C were a prospect like Vranes. Otherwise, let's just concentrate on getting one guy who can help us out now and keep working on developing Jon as an eventual backup/replacement for Steve.
Old 01-05-2004, 03:11 PM   #15
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly... If our options on FREE AGENT SIGNINGS only allow us to pick up a Jelani McCoy or a Ike Austin, those guys would just be fillers... But again, I hope that when it is all said and done, the depth chart says: NEW ACQUISITION, BRADLEY, FORTSON!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Basically, I hope we can pull the trigger and get a Center in here that can REALLY contribute... These patch signings can help, but I just think we will end up needing more...
Old 01-05-2004, 04:47 PM   #16
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Eric Gingold

Height: 218cm / 7'2''
Position: Center
Born: 1973
Team: Hitachi Sunrockers, JPN (2002-03)
Nationality: USA-ISR
Agency: Elfus-Siegel Management (ESM) College: Williams
Previous teams:
Sina Lions (TAI)
Aalst (BEL)
Lokomotiv MV (RUS)
Maccabi Tel-Aviv (ISR)
Career / Comments:
Born: Dec.26, 1973
285lbs
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Outlook:
Skilled center with exceptional size; very intelligent and coachable player with good fundamentals and overall knowledge of the game; runs the floor well for a player his size; good rebounder and shot blocker; capable low post scorer with range to 15 feet.

Old 01-05-2004, 07:56 PM   #17
LordOfTheMavs

LordOfTheMavs is on a distinguished road

As I watched the Bucks game at Milwalkee, I noticed something funny with Best. Nellie put Best in at the end of the half to rest Nash and I was thinking 'here we go again, Best has been in the doghouse and if he screws up - its over'. He immediately did something stupid and I saw Daniels up off the bench. I remarked to my nephew that Best was about to be done with the Mavs. The next possesion change, Nellie had Best right back in and he played very well and pushed the offense and actually hit his shots.

Nellie has best on a very short leash and is gonna use Daniels to motivate him into either playing better or getting out of the way, because he's got a rookie on the bench that could be ready to explode anytime. Best better watch his back and pick up his play immediately. Daniels is breathing down his neck and I dont' think Nellie is gonna waste too much more time with him.
LordOfTheMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 08:41 PM   #18
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Good.... Best had better watch his back big time. But he's played pretty well the last two games. Really, really need him to begin to contribute.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote