Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-26-2004, 12:39 AM   #1
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Short Sac Bee Interview with Cuban and Maloofs

Off the glass

By Joe Davidson -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 a.m. PST Sunday, January 25, 2004

A quick conversation with Kings owners Joe and Gavin Maloof and Dallas owner Mark Cuban
Question: What has the rivalry with the Kings meant to you?
Answer: (Cuban) It's been personal. I know Joe and Gavin pretty well. It's funny, we can hang out together, but the minute they throw up the ball, I hate those guys.

Q: Any concerns that when (Chris Webber) returns, it (could affect) Peja Stojakovic or Brad Miller?

A: (Joe Maloof) It's going to be up to (Webber). He understands that right now we've developed a certain look for our team, or a certain chemistry, that's really been successful. He'll have to adjust his game a little bit. We don't want this thing to get out of whack.

Q: Is there anything that can be done to preserve your players who play overseas for their national teams in the offseason?

A: (Joe) We're against it. It's too dangerous. We pay these guys tremendous salaries, and to have one of them injured would be devastating. I don't think it's a good move.

(Cuban) I know Dirk (Nowitzki) and Steve (Nash) both got off to tougher starts this year. They both needed breaks and wanted more breaks. Why in the world would we give our most valuable asset to another tournament knowing that when we have to offer our product, it could potentially have a negative impact? That's just dumb business.

Q: Can you make the case for who loves their coach more?

A: (Gavin) We have a great deal of respect for coach Rick Adelman and what he's done. He doesn't get a lot of praise in the media like a lot of other coaches, but he's one of the top winningest coaches in the history of the NBA. We just don't feel he gets enough praise ... he just amazes us.

(Cuban) I feel the same way about (Don Nelson). Nellie's success speaks for itself. We got into this together when things weren't going so well. What I particularly like about Nellie is he knows even if we might disagree at times, he's going to listen. You can't sing Nellie's praises high enough.

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports...-9091744c.htmlSac Bee: Interview with Cuban and Maloofs
Old 01-26-2004, 12:41 AM   #2
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Short Sac Bee Interview with Cuban and Maloofs

The Maloofs are some weird, weird people....

they really creep me out.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 10:12 AM   #3
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts
Default RE: Short Sac Bee Interview with Cuban and Maloofs

Quote:
What I particularly like about Nellie is he knows even if we might disagree at times, he's going to listen. -Cuban
I believe this phrase. However, I think Nelson reacts very slow. And there is still something pending, the need of proactive coaching. I think both aspects have impeded Nelson to be effective getting a ring, cause in the playoffs and finals both are much needed.

Anyhow, it's good to see that Nelson and Cuban disagree at times and that Nelson listens.

Old 01-26-2004, 11:37 AM   #4
DNNF
Golden Member

DNNF will become famous soon enoughDNNF will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
The Maloofs are some weird, weird people....

they really creep me out.

That's what Sacramento fans said about Cuban. "a Weird psycho dude"
DNNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 12:25 PM   #5
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

All three of them have terrible haircuts for being bazillionaires.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 01:30 PM   #6
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

The maloofs creep me out as well. It looks like they aren't quite sane.... the same can be said for Cuban. But at least we know Cuban is crazy and married, those maloof "brothers" on the other hand......
Old 01-26-2004, 01:39 PM   #7
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

The NBA needs more of the type of owners that are the Maloofs and Cuban. Guys who are obviously passionate about their teams and are willing to try new things to improve the quality of the league. They are not shy about making money, but are more passionate about the quality of the league rather than making money.

When you start making the kind of money they make, you would start getting weird too.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 03:10 PM   #8
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, excepting the point of the money. I think they want to change and improve their teams and the NBA to continue making money. It's not bad, cause everybody wins; that's why they get in touch so often and many times leading unofficial initiatives that the "normal" guys of the NBA (owners and Stern & Co.) don't like, hate or don't understand. And yes, being a weirdo and having big money are correlated in most cases.

But, as Cuban, I hate to watch them when we play against Sac.

Old 01-26-2004, 03:26 PM   #9
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Compared to most celebreties, I find them (Cuban and Maloofs) to be pretty normal, stable people. I don't understand what all the fuss is about. When people pick on them for thier hair or their clothes, then there must not be alot there to really attack.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 03:44 PM   #10
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Chiwas
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, excepting the point of the money. I think they want to change and improve their teams and the NBA to continue making money. It's not bad, cause everybody wins; that's why they get in touch so often and many times leading unofficial initiatives that the "normal" guys of the NBA (owners and Stern & Co.) don't like, hate or don't understand. And yes, being a weirdo and having big money are correlated in most cases.

But, as Cuban, I hate to watch them when we play against Sac.
Well, Cuban himself says that he would rather take a loss on the team and win a Championship rather than simply make more money each year. So, that tells me he just cares more about producing good basketball rather than making money. Now, I'm sure if he could have both he would, but between making money and having a great team, he would choose having a great team.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote