Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-05-2002, 11:54 AM   #1
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

No posting during the game for me, because I'll be there. I'm really looking forward to the Nellie ceremony before the game. The Mavs will have their hands full tonight - the Spurs want to avenge the loss to the Mavs in San Antonio. This game will be a benchmark for the Mavs - can we beat elite teams when they truly emphasize the game?
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2002, 03:44 PM   #2
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Aren't the seats at the AAC wired for the internet?? Take a laptop along [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] .

Anyway, I think we're gonna loooose.

Spurs 104
Mavs 91

Have fun at the game. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 04:05 PM   #3
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

I'll be there too! The place will be crazy if the game is tight...a drastic turn-around from the Chicago game(last one I went to). I'm so excited.
Old 01-05-2002, 04:15 PM   #4
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

I hate to say it, but I think this one is a loss 103-98.

On the positive side, Dallas is getting San Antonio at home with SA having played the night before.

But San Antonio NEEDs this game. They need to start showing they can beat not just the average teams but the upper tier teams and, with the exception of LA, there is no team they would rather start showing that with than Dallas. Add in that Finley doesn't look like he's 100% yet, and I think San Antonio is going to be able to pull this one out.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 06:44 PM   #5
jules88

jules88 is on a distinguished road

I'm going to the game too!!! It should at least be exciting even if we can't pull this one off!
Old 01-05-2002, 09:33 PM   #6
BASKETBALL 101

BASKETBALL 101 is on a distinguished road

WE ARE GETTING CREAMED!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]
Old 01-05-2002, 09:48 PM   #7
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, we are getting killed tonight.

Some things that piss me off:

1. Najera isn't good enough for a 1st quarter appearance? HELLO NELSON!

2. Wang hurt us tonight with 3 quick fouls.

3. Dirk isn't being posted up again, whether that's a coaching decision or whatever, but he's 3-9, 2-6 of that is coming from behind the arc.

4. Finley has been a bit better than he was in NY, let's hope he can pick it up a bit more though.

5. Nash is shooting poorly tonight and only has 3 assists, hell, Dirk has 3 assists tonight.

6. Manning has been able to take 4 shots but hasn't produced.

7. You know it's bad when Howard is having the best offensive night.

8. What happened to the strategy of letting Duncan have his game, instead we've given up numerous 3's.

9. Will we get any calls in our favor?

Im sure there's more but Im having a hard time getting passed the anger.
Old 01-05-2002, 09:52 PM   #8
BASKETBALL 101

MFF,

You are VERY funny!!
57-Spurs
44-Mavs

I hope (PRAY) we can pick it up in the next half.

Are you watching on TV or follwing online?

Old 01-05-2002, 10:12 PM   #9
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, Im following along online, but at espn, there giving play by plays and that helps too.
Old 01-05-2002, 10:26 PM   #10
BASKETBALL 101

OAKY!! We are comming back Thanks to NAJERA (HOPE I SPELLED IT RIGHT)
84-SPURS
82-MAVS
LETS GO MAVS!!!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-05-2002, 10:28 PM   #11
BASKETBALL 101

Finley is out! again w/the hamstring!!

SORRY BABY!!!
Old 01-05-2002, 10:34 PM   #12
BASKETBALL 101

NAJERA!!!!NAJERA!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]NAJERA[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 01-05-2002, 11:06 PM   #13
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

bleh
Old 01-05-2002, 11:49 PM   #14
dallmav

dallmav is on a distinguished road

Bullshit foul call in my opinion
dallmav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 12:11 AM   #15
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

The Mavs should have won this game going away. They missed more open shots than I've seen in a long time (since the Knick game anyway). Wide open shots and then NOTHING.

It was a great game and I'm proud that the Mavs had a chance to win the game late.
Old 01-06-2002, 12:12 AM   #16
MavsFanFinley
Guru

Personally, I feel Nash forced too many things tonight, especially late in the game.

He was 3-7 at the half and went 5-12 in the 2nd half, including a 1-6 stint in the 4th quarter.

It hurt that Najera kept getting pulled during runs in favor of Howard. It amazes me that Nelson pulls this crap.

It hurt that Dirk caught fire too late. He was 3-9 at the half, 3-5 in the 3rd and 3-5 in the 4th. Why did it take him so long to start drawing fouls? Nelson plan?

It hurt that we came out playing shitty from the start of the game.

It hurt that we decided to double Duncan and when he drew his 5th foul, it took a couple minutes before we attacked him to get him out of the game.

It hurt that Finley left the game with the re-injured hamstring. I don't understand why he only took 1 shot in the 3rd and 1 in the 4th before exiting. He was 3-8 at the half and made 4 trips to the ft line, why didn't they draw a play or 2 for him. Instead, he ended up taking an ugly fade and a dumb 3, but 1 shot in a quarter is just pitiful imo.

Where was Buckner and Griffin in the 4th? They both look pretty good in the box score and didn't seem worthy of sitting on the bench, especially when Fin went out.
Old 01-06-2002, 12:48 AM   #17
MFFL
Guru

MavsFanFinley - great points. The only thing you missed was on the Duncan thing. Duncan went out of the game when he got his 5th foul (about 5 minutes were left in the game). He sat out a minute to a minute and a half. The Mavs attacked him immediately when he returned.
Old 01-06-2002, 05:28 PM   #18
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

Even when he returned with 5 fouls, Duncan put up 6 quick points. Dirk defenantly should have gotten the ball more down low. He was played by a smaller defender almost all night. Also, Najera almost single-handedly sparked 2 great comebacks, but still hasn't earned 1st quarter pt? The officiating was crap last night. They didn't call a thing until the last second which was the worst call of the night. I hate it when the refs decide the game!
Old 01-07-2002, 11:14 AM   #19
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

I tell you what, I know Nash has been playing great this year, but I'm sorry how Dirk doesn't get the last shot is BEYOND ME??!! The guy basically OWNED the game the last 1:00 of the game at BOTH ends of the floor. He was the HOT guy and he should have gotten the shot. I KNEW Nash was going to take that shot and I was so pissed. I thought they should have gotten that ball to Dirk in the post. Go into overtime with NO DUNCAN, the Mavs would have won that game EASILY!!! I was so hot when I saw Nash put that shot up, even if he makes it I thought he should have gotten that ball to Dirk. I was quite upset...
Old 01-07-2002, 02:40 PM   #20
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

Totally agree, Kid. GIVE DIRK THE BALL...
Old 01-07-2002, 02:46 PM   #21
MFFL
Guru

Dirk wasn't open - Nash was. I'd rather Nash take the open shot rather than force the ball to Dirk and make Dirk take the difficult shot. Nash IS hitting over 50% of his shots.
Old 01-07-2002, 04:39 PM   #22
TheKid
Diamond Member

MFFL, I understand that Nash with the ball in his hands in that situation was not a bad alternative, I'm just saying Dirk was the hot guy and you're right Dirk wasn't open because he was out on the wing. I'm saying, I don't understand why they didn't post Dirk up and have him get a higher percentage shot. We didn't need to go for the win, all we needed to do was tie it up. Going into overtime at home without Duncan would have been in our favor, IMO.
Old 01-07-2002, 04:45 PM   #23
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

Wait a minute. Didn't anybody see Dirk miss 2 3-pointers during the Najerathon? Dirk was hot from the free throw line and was rebounding, but he was definitely not hot from long rang. Beside. Like it was already said.

Nash was open and had a good look. There was only 5 seconds. You have to take the first good look you get. We got it and missed.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 05:02 PM   #24
MFFL
Guru

TheKid - I really don't know why the Mavs have such difficulty in running isolation plays, but they do. The players cannot seem to get open with regularity unless there is ball movement. And the fact that none of the Mavs except Finley, Hardaway, or Howard will take the selfish shot seems to compound the problem. Dirk won't take a bad shot and neither will Nash. They would rather move the ball which means that a lesser player will often take the important shot. But if Finley or Hardaway gets the ball in the final seconds - they jack up the shot. I don't know if this means Fin/Tim are too selfish or Dirk/Nash too unselfish (or both) but it does make it harder for the Mavs to get the ball to their best player (Dirk) in crunch time.
Old 01-07-2002, 07:07 PM   #25
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

TheKid--Glad to see I'm not the only one who thought so. My problem isn't so much that Nash had to take the shot--Nash is a good shooter and with Finley out he's obviously the second option. But it didn't look to me like the play was drawn up to even try to get the ball to Dirk down low--which should have been the primary attempt with Steve's shot the fallback plan.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Old 01-07-2002, 07:42 PM   #26
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

Well, to be honest, I do think we lost the last two games just because Nellie didnt coach playoff-style but "Dallas" style. Mavericks are still the honest and earn-your-shots-earn-your-wins mentality guys, that won´t take a win by the clever method if not necessary.

Nellie could easily call the TimeOut in NY, he would do so without thinking in a Playoff game. I do think Nellie would (and maybe should) call a Hardaway play in the Spurs situation if it´s in Playoffs.

Why dont he?

Important question.

I do think Nellie tries to convince his leaders, Nash, Dirk, Fin, even Timmy and others, that they don´t need him. He actually tries to make them better in those situation by letting them develop a killer instinct. To take the responsibilty. He may risk home court advantage, but I am pretty sure he´s just trying to give them feedback and a very own spirit.

Mavs spirit.

Nellie may add some of his great creativity and clutch time coaching when needed, but I am pretty sure he will let the guys out there learn and improve as long it wont cost the Mavs too many games.

Just think about it, they were down by 4 45.3 secs to go against maybe one of the best teams around, and almost at will tied it - I really didnt doubt too much they could do this, and they could even win it in regulation. Winning it by a last second three would´ve been a neck-breaker, we lost, well, so it was a coaching mistake or a bad call, nevermind, no-one will remember ...

It was right, it was a gamble, but it was completely right

j
Old 01-08-2002, 09:49 AM   #27
TheKid
Diamond Member

MFFL, Nash never takes a bad shot??? I don't know about that, I've seen him take some questionable shots ALOT. The only reason we can't complain is that he's been making a lot of them this year. Also I don't think that last shot he took was a bad shot at all, actually it was a good shot, I just thought they should have went to Dirk down low because has an uncanny knack for getting fouled and getting to free throw line. I do agree with you about Dirk. I said that earlier this year that it's amazing how Dirk RARELY takes a bad shot. I was saying before if Dirk was more offensive minded like Finley or KOBE or IVERSON, he would lead the NBA in scoring, EASILY! Now would it take away from the team concept, maybe but he does need to get more shots off. I don't necessarily blame that on the other players either, I think if Dirk decides to take over a game, there isn't ANYONE on the Mavs whose going to have a problem with it. So Hoopmeister I think we're in agreement.

Seleen, Dirk is 7'0" tall, they had the ball out on the side, an entry pass from out of bounds to Dirk in the post wouldn't have been a bad idea.(IMO) If they put everyone else on the other side of the court, post Dirk up and stood Nash out on the three point line either they get the ball into Dirk or Nash gets an uncontested three pointer, just like Hoopmeister said.
Old 01-08-2002, 02:28 PM   #28
MavsFanFinley
Guru

I don't think most people would complain about Nash taking the last shot in a game, especially with Finley out, but I find it an odd coincidence that he ended up taking the same shot he did in SA.

Is that the play they drew up or was there something in the works for Dirk, but they couldn't do it?

MFFL, I think it's more to do with Dirk (tops the list) not demanding the ball enough, the same can sorta be said for Nash, although I think he's been WAY too aggressive on offense at times this year. I think it's more to do with him being too unselfish instead of Finley or Hardaway being too greedy.

I think that's something Dirk is going to have to improve on. He's going to have to learn that sometimes you have to take a bad shot instead of passing it off to others. And as for a bad shot, I mean something along the line of a body on him or a 3-pointer, even though a 2 pointer is all you need.

I don't even know if Im comfortable with him taking the last shot cause I can't remember him ever doing so. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
Old 01-08-2002, 02:48 PM   #29
mavs_afroman

mavs_afroman is on a distinguished road

I went back and watched the game again the other day on tape. 3FT. TALL TERRY PORTER WAS GUARDING DIRK. The ball could have easily gone directly into the post to him but the play never even went in his direction. It looked like that wasn't even an option. That should've been the 1st option with nash being the 2nd option. I have no problem with Nash taking the last shot because he's hit them before but I would like to see Dirk get a few more of those kind of shots because I've never seen him even attempt one before. Maybe Nellie knows something the rest of us don't.
Old 01-08-2002, 03:07 PM   #30
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

I wish I had thought to tape it Afroman because I have wanted to watch that last play again. What I think I remember seeing is that when the ref blew the whistle and people started to move, Dirk started in what was practically a straight line out from the key towards the far sideline. If that's what I saw (and I admit my main focus was on the ball), then that's a coaching issue--Nellie drew up a play which wasted Dirk.

And Mavsfanfinley, I understand what you are saying about not knowing if you are comfortable with it. But that's exactly why Dirk should have been taking that shot. Maybe he misses it, maybe he doesn't. Maybe having Nash taking it now was the higher-percentage try. But giving Dirk the experience NOW is important so that when game 5 or game 7 of a playoff game has rolled around, everyone, including Dirk, is confident that he's learned to do that. Because in the long run, 7'0" Dirk down low is always going to be a higher-percentage shot than any of our stars shooting from long range.
Old 01-08-2002, 03:34 PM   #31
MavsFanFinley
Guru

Oops, Hoopmeister, I think you misunderstood my comment.

I was meaning I don't even know if Im comfortable with him taking the last shot because it hasn't been drawn up for him or he's passed it off to someone else. I think the latter has happened more than not having plays drawn up for him.

That's why I said he's going to have to learn to take those shots, even if it's a bad shot in his book, cause Finley and Hardaway aren't always going to be able to do it. And with Finley out, Dirk must be the #1 option with Nash being 2nd and down the line.

I just meant I don't know if Im comfortable with him cause he's either been passed up or he's done the passing up. He needs to start taking some of those.
Old 01-09-2002, 06:14 PM   #32
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

On another note...Nash had his defender in the air, couldn't he have just leaned in, drawn the foul, and taken three free throws?
Old 01-10-2002, 04:07 AM   #33
mavs_afroman

mavs_afroman is on a distinguished road

Never thought about that way Flying Tiger. At that point of the game, I don't the refs would have called it anyway.
Old 01-10-2002, 04:41 PM   #34
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Why not...they did it the play before. Porter didn't even know what happened when the refs stopped play.