Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 02-14-2004, 03:36 PM   #1
akaarod03

akaarod03 is on a distinguished road
Default GS/Dal/Cle - I think this works

From the Daily Online (Golden State paper):

"ESCHY'S DONE: It's official: Third-string center Evan Eschmeyer, who could find himself No. 1 on the Warriors' depth chart at some point this off-season if Erick Dampier and Adonal Foyle leave via free agency, won't play this season.

Hopeful of returning from surgeries on both knees sometime before the All-Star break, Eschmeyer has decided to have a second procedure on his left knee, ending any hope he'll make his Warriors debut in the next two months.

Eschmeyer, acquired from Dallas in the Antawn Jamison trade, has three years remaining on his Warriors deal. Dampier has the option of voiding the final two years of his contract this summer, and Foyle's deal expires in June. "
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A couple of comments: I feel bad for Eschmeyer...but I'm sorry...it's sad if Evan is potentially your #1 option. Golden State has to address their center position somehow. I know I've proposed Walker to the Warriors for Damp and Robinson. I still think it's a good trade for both teams...however...its pretty evident that the Warriors have a gaping hole at the center position if Dampier opts out and Foyle leaves via free agency. This is where Cleveland comes in. They would like to trade Illgauskas. He would be OK in Dallas...but I prefer Dampier. This trade works...I'm curious to get your thoughts.

Dallas trades Antoine Walker

Dallas receives Erick Dampier and Clifford Robinson

Cleveland trades Zydrunas Illgauskas

Cleveland receives Antoine Walker

Golden State trades Erick Dampier and Clifford Robinson

Golden State receives Zydrunas Illgauskas

Why Dallas does it? We've already discussed it ad nauseum...but Dampier and Robinson are two guys that can definitely help shore up the frontline...in particular Damp.

Why Cleveland does it? Silas is not a huge fan of Illgauskas. They already have Battie and the developing Diop at the center position. Walker, Boozer, Battie, Diop isn't a bad front line to pair up with James and Wagner.

Why Golden State does it? We talked about how attractive Walkers' contract is for next year...how he comes off the books. Illgauskas is the same deal...he'll be a free agent next year. But Golden State does this deal becuase they at least have some insurance at the center position. Again...Eschmeyer has potentially your #1 option? That's scary. And for those who say...let Damp walk...well...if they do...they still would be over the cap...so they can't sign a legit big man. At least with the acquistion of Illgauskas...they not only get talent and salary cap flexibilty but address a potenital glaring hole at the center position. They get something for Dampier. I mentioned this in another post...but if Van Exel remains a Warrior...his contract as well as Illgauskas contract will both be up...thats presents a ton of options for the Warriors.
akaarod03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2004, 07:32 PM   #2
akaarod03

Default RE:GS/Dal/Cle - I think this works

Old 02-14-2004, 07:34 PM   #3
akaarod03

http://www.jockbio.com/Bios/James/James_bio.html

This is a pretty good piece on Lebron James. It kinda adds credence to the fact that Walker would be a nice fit in Cleveland...not only from a talent standpoint...but more importantly as a good friend of Lebron's. This paragraph in the article stood out the most...

"Meanwhile, Michael Jordan invited LeBron to join him in an exclusive workout, where he scrimmaged against the likes of Antoine Walker, Michael Finley, Juwan Howard and Penny Hardaway. LeBron struck up a friendship with Walker, a product of Chicago’s Mt. Carmel basketball factory, and still counts him among his most trusted advisors."
Old 02-14-2004, 07:42 PM   #4
jimmychipwood

jimmychipwood is on a distinguished road

I like that trade, a lot. Robinson is a winner, him and Dampier would be perfect fits here.

nbaunplugged.com
jimmychipwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 11:04 PM   #5
Jamisonite
Golden Member

Jamisonite is on a distinguished road
Default RE: GS/Dal/Cle - I think this works

double post
Old 02-14-2004, 11:05 PM   #6
Jamisonite
Golden Member

Jamisonite is on a distinguished road
Default RE: GS/Dal/Cle - I think this works

Im not sure how sold GS or Clev would be on this
Old 02-16-2004, 03:18 AM   #7
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future
Default RE:GS/Dal/Cle - Trade that helps all teams involved

akaarod03,

I really like this trade a lot and it makes a lot of sense for all teams involved. Each team gives up a piece to get a piece.

I could see Cleveland being hesitant towards this trade a little because of the departure of their best C, but Walker has proven he can play very well in the East and share the ball with his great passing skills. James and Walker would be the foundation of a very good passing/versatile team though I'm also curious as to whether they would prefer acquiring Jamison over Walker.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 01:22 PM   #8
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dirkenstien
akaarod03,

I really like this trade a lot and it makes a lot of sense for all teams involved. Each team gives up a piece to get a piece.

I could see Cleveland being hesitant towards this trade a little because of the departure of their best C, but Walker has proven he can play very well in the East and share the ball with his great passing skills. James and Walker would be the foundation of a very good passing/versatile team though I'm also curious as to whether they would prefer acquiring Jamison over Walker.
I like this one as well, but don't see it happening. Also, who would you remove from the 15 man roster, and who would you put on the IR?

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 04:30 PM   #9
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

I would cut Steffanson and place Najera on the IL until he was back to 100 percent. Once he was back it would just depend on who was playing well at the time to determine who will be on the IL

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

Old 02-16-2004, 04:30 PM   #10
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

I like the deal from Dallas' end better than most proposals. I still don't know that I would do it, but it's not bad. Dampier is talked about lot. He's a legit center - possibly top five right now. Uncle Cliffy is still a good player. He's the type of vet Nellie would love. He's also a great defensive player.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 06:29 PM   #11
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Poindexter Einstein will become famous soon enough
Default RE: GS/Dal/Cle - Trade that helps all teams involved

DIRK .... I would bet money that the Mavs wont allow Steff off the IL all year, no matter what. Even if they had 8 players and no Gs, I think he would remain "injured." The reason has to do with his status as a developmental player, combined with the expansion draft. They wont let anyone get a peek, and will force Charlotte to make a "blind" decision when they leave him unprotected.

DDH ...Dampier is playing like a legit center, but there is no way to know just how good he really is. I am not convinced that he qualifies for top 5, only because his history says this current production is very temporary. And if it is, that is a huge factor in whether he is desirable or not.
Poindexter Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 07:01 PM   #12
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Quote:
The reason has to do with his status as a developmental player, combined with the expansion draft. They wont let anyone get a peek, and will force Charlotte to make a "blind" decision when they leave him unprotected.
Interesting perspective, I must admit I never thought of it that way though this does bring up the important question as to whether Stef will be a suitable replacement or even a decent backup for Nash in later years. I have seen nothing from him as of yet but there must be a reason dallas' management has held on to him thus far. Would we risk losing his potential contributions to this team to seal up our front court? At this point, would have to say I would cut him in a heart beat although I am aware my decision is an uninformed one, being that Im not sure what he brings to the table.

Old 02-17-2004, 12:53 AM   #13
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: Poindexter Einstein
DIRK .... I would bet money that the Mavs wont allow Steff off the IL all year, no matter what. Even if they had 8 players and no Gs, I think he would remain "injured." The reason has to do with his status as a developmental player, combined with the expansion draft. They wont let anyone get a peek, and will force Charlotte to make a "blind" decision when they leave him unprotected.

DDH ...Dampier is playing like a legit center, but there is no way to know just how good he really is. I am not convinced that he qualifies for top 5, only because his history says this current production is very temporary. And if it is, that is a huge factor in whether he is desirable or not.
PE, I agree with you about Dampier, although I think we may be in the minority. I think that injuries have really stunted Dampier's productivity, but I'm awfully concerned that he would revert to past form soon after arriving. Maybe it's a chance we have to take to finally bring in a legit big guy in the James Donaldon mode? I don't know. I don't even think Mark, Don, and Donnie know right now...But I could also easily argue that Dampier would be nothing more than an underacheiving burden in Dallas who isn't worthy of the "top 5 center" consideration a lot of people have been giving him lately.

I think he could really help us take the next step or really hurt us.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote