Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 02-25-2004, 07:57 PM   #1
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice
Default Howard Stern bites.............the dust.

In a move that shouldn't be much of a surprise, given the post Superbowl climate....Howard Stern Show Taken Off Clear Channel Stations
Wednesday February 25, 6:44 pm ET

SAN ANTONIO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb. 25, 2004--Clear Channel Radio has suspended the broadcast of Viacom's Howard Stern show, consistent with its Responsible Broadcasting Initiative announced earlier today. After assessing the content of yesterday's Howard Stern show, Clear Channel worked with local market managers to take swift and decisive action.
"Clear Channel drew a line in the sand today with regard to protecting our listeners from indecent content and Howard Stern's show blew right through it," said John Hogan, president and CEO of Clear Channel Radio. "It was vulgar, offensive, and insulting, not just to women and African Americans but to anyone with a sense of common decency. We will not air Howard Stern on Clear Channel stations until we are assured that his show will conform to acceptable standards of responsible broadcasting," Hogan said.

--- I've never heard his show, but thought it would be interesting to see what others thought.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:15 PM   #2
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of
Default RE: Howard Stern bites.............the dust.

I watch the show before Jay Leno comes on. I watch it more because the other people that's on the show are funny. I would definitely see how women would take offense to it, because he calls every woman that comes on his show a "Broad." I'm not too sure why African Americans would take offense(i'm african american, and i like the show), considering his best friend is african american. He's a pervert that hits on woman less than half his age, but for some reason i find the show funny.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 08:25 PM   #3
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Howard Stern bites.............the dust.

Quote:
"It was vulgar, offensive, and insulting, not just to women and African Americans but to anyone with a sense of common decency."
Vulgarity on the Howard Stern Show? I'm shocked. ... ... ... Shocked.

But it has been (vulgar and insulting) for years. Always. Why did it take them this long to figure that out and decide to act?

And this isn't necessarily a terminal decision either:

Quote:
We will not air Howard Stern on Clear Channel stations until we are assured that his show will conform to acceptable standards of responsible broadcasting," Hogan said.
I'm skeptical.

In any case I never listened to the show regularly. Did catch a few minutes of it from time-to-time 4-5 years ago. The content wasn't offensive per se, but the overall vapidity of it wasn't enough to make it a regular lighting point on the radio dial. No reason to think it would be different now.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 08:26 PM   #4
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Howard Stern bites.............the dust.

Good... His was gutter humour of the worst kind. His show was right out of the gutter.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 08:34 PM   #5
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

kiki, one of the reasons tht I posted this "temporary suspension" is that (from what I know about his show) I can't imagine Stern EVER complying.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:34 PM   #6
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't listed to his show for about three years, but I imagine the content of it has never changed that much - naked women, flatulence, hollywood interviews, sexual content....Clearchannel knew exactly what they were getting into when they chose to carry Stern's show in the first place.

He's been around so long and his schtik is so incredibly old, I find it hard to believe that he is still able to generate the same level of ratings (and ad $$) that he once did.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 08:42 PM   #7
southern_sweets
Diamond Member

southern_sweets will become famous soon enoughsouthern_sweets will become famous soon enough

I love Howard Stern. This is an outrage!

I appreciate him for what he truly is, an actor.

The show will return and be more popular than ever. That's how these sort of things usually turn out.

BTW, Private Parts, Howard Stern's movie is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen.
southern_sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 08:49 PM   #8
OutletPass
Diamond Member

Hard to tell Sweets, Clear Channel was got a record fine from the FCC and fired a big shock jock the other day.

Here's the story:

Fired: Notorious Florida shock-jock Bubba the Love Sponge

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published by news-press.com on February 24, 2004

TAMPA — A popular radio talk show host was fired Monday, nearly a month after his station received a record fine for sexually explicit segments. WXTB-FM General Manager Dan DiLoreto announced the firing of Todd Clem, better known as "Bubba the Love Sponge," on sister Clear Channel Communications station WFLA-AM. Clem's name and picture had been removed from WXTB's Web site Monday night.

WXTB said a news release from Clear Channel, headquartered in Texas, will be issued Tuesday. A phone message left at Clear Channel on Monday night was not returned. The Federal Communications Commission proposed a $755,000 fine against Clear Channel last month for segments of Clem's show that aired on four Florida radio stations between 6:30 a.m. and 9 a.m. It was the single largest fine ever proposed for indecency. The segments - which aired in Callahan, Clearwater, Port Charlotte and West Palm Beach - included graphic discussions about sex and drugs that were "designed to pander to, titillate and shock listeners," the FCC said. One segment featured the cartoon characters Alvin the chipmunk, George Jetson and Scooby Doo discussing sexual activities.

The segments ran 26 times and the commission proposed fining Clear Channel $27,500 for each airing, or $715,000. Clem was acquitted in 2002 of animal cruelty charges stemming from the on-air slaughter of a feral pig. The animal was castrated and slaughtered during a show in February 2000.