Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-28-2004, 11:07 AM   #1
LoveMyMavs14

LoveMyMavs14 is on a distinguished road
Default Blazers @ Mavs

Blazers visit Mavs at the AAC tonight at 7:30.

The teams have met twice this season, each winning at home. Dallas has had a day off, while Portland was in Houston last night, where they had a five-game winning streak stopped with an 89-85 loss.

This could either be a continuation of the good things we've been seeing, or another letdown after a big win. Our boys have seemed beyond determined lately, so I don't think a letdown is as likely...BUT, the Blazers are playing a completely different game when they were earlier in the year, as they're surging and trying to fight their way back into the playoffs. Zach Randolph has also presented big problems for this team in the past.

So, is it another win (and maybe another triple double for Stevie Wonder)? Or a thud after a temporary high?
LoveMyMavs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2004, 11:15 AM   #2
LoveMyMavs14

LoveMyMavs14 is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Blazers @ Mavs

Hmmm, I read a preview that said that they've met twice, but I just realized that it's wrong...this will be their final meeting, and Dallas won IN Portland on January 17, 108-104.
LoveMyMavs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 11:26 AM   #3
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

With just over 20 games remaining in the season, the Mavs can't afford to take any games off. As long as they focus, they should beat Portland, especially with the Blazers on the back end of a back-to-back.

Old 02-28-2004, 11:38 AM   #4
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light
Default RE: Blazers @ Mavs

Mavs have won big games and then let the easy ones slip away. This might be a good opportunity to move to the third spot. Mavs cannot afford to lose this one.
Old 02-28-2004, 12:22 PM   #5
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Mavs take care of business again. 108-92 victory.
Old 02-28-2004, 12:56 PM   #6
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

MFF said it all. Mavs take care of bidness. Mavs win 108-92.. Wow..good guess. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 12:56 PM   #7
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Mavs beat the blazers.

Mavs: 111
Blazers: 102

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 01:30 PM   #8
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

They shoot a pretty high fg % against us, so we really need to make sure we get rebounds. We are a better rebounding team than them. Luckily, the game is in Dallas and the Mavs are hot right now. Bradley was out our first win and loss, and Nash was out during the second win. While the Trailblazers are a different team now, the Mavs definitely have more players to use this game that should help us out quite a bit. We win this one since the Mavs look like they are putting the final pieces together and playing better D. 105-91
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 02:12 PM   #9
samoan-maverick

samoan-maverick is on a distinguished road

Theo Ratliff gave them trouble in Atlanta, so did Shariff. Thats whats gonna make this win even sweeter.

Mavs- 105
Blazers- 91

Finley is gonna go MadNesS with another 30+. Dirk with 25.
Old 02-28-2004, 04:35 PM   #10
Misfit Mav

Misfit Mav will become famous soon enough

Blazers have 2 excellent scorers at the 4 spot in Randolph and Abdur-Rahim. I'd like to see solidminutes for Williams and Bradley, like we've seen in the past few games, to try to counter their inside strength. Pretty much all the games from here on out are important, and the home games are especially important given our struggles on the road.

My prediction:

Mavs win a close one, 103-100

Edit: Just remember portland played a tough game in Houston last night. That should make this an easier win for the Mavs.

When asked after the Dallas Mavericks impressive game 3 win over the Sacramento Kings whether he thought the Mavs won because they played well or because the Kings played poorly, Nelson responded that it was hard to tell, much like a thermos. "How do it know?" queried the ever eccentric Nelson. When you put something hot in it, it stays hot. When you put something cold in it, it stays cold. "How do it know?"
Misfit Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 04:43 PM   #11
Jamisonite
Golden Member

Jamisonite is on a distinguished road

Mavs win 98-95
Old 02-28-2004, 07:15 PM   #12
bigdaddy

bigdaddy is infamous around these partsbigdaddy is infamous around these partsbigdaddy is infamous around these partsbigdaddy is infamous around these partsbigdaddy is infamous around these partsbigdaddy is infamous around these parts

This will be a tough game as Portland has good size. SAR and Ratliff gave us so many problems last time we played them and we know how Randolph gives us fits.
bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 07:15 PM   #13
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

Preview

Preview by Matt Pinto
Old 02-28-2004, 07:49 PM   #14
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Mavs by 12...

111-99.

The hot shooting continues !
Old 02-28-2004, 08:00 PM   #15
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Howard will be out tonight due to a strained groin. Nooo!
Old 02-28-2004, 08:05 PM   #16
PepperTheMavsFan41

PepperTheMavsFan41 is on a distinguished road

I usually dont predict home losses, I even had us beating the Spurs yesterday, BUT

Randdolph
SAR
2 known Mav killers

No doubt Ruben Patterson will go 6-8 for 16 points and 8 boards.

The Mavs will either blow them out (10 or more) or lose.

If the Mavs shoot well they will win, if not they will lose.

IM intrested to see how the rebounds go, Portaland is prolly the best rebounding team in the NBA now.

I can kill cause in god I trust.
It's EVOLUTION baby.
PepperTheMavsFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 08:16 PM   #17
PepperTheMavsFan41

They wont beat Sac, but if Minn gets that 1st seed and Portland gets the 8th seed. Huuuuu Hmmmmmmm. (to quote Georgio)
It's EVOLUTION baby.
Old 02-28-2004, 08:17 PM   #18
bigdaddy

bigdaddy is infamous around these partsbigdaddy is infamous around these partsbigdaddy is infamous around these partsbigdaddy is infamous around these partsbigdaddy is infamous around these partsbigdaddy is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally posted by: DubOverdose
Howard will be out tonight due to a strained groin. Nooo!
Again? damn
bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 08:30 PM   #19
LordOfTheMavs

LordOfTheMavs is on a distinguished road

Every time this year the Mavs have started to make steps forward, they slip up. Every time I start having that feeling that they are getting over the hump and starting to be as good as I think they can, they come out and have a dissapointing loss.

I think this is that game. Portland is always dangerous and with multiple known Mavs killers on thier roster, it is extra scarry.

So even though I am ever the optomist, tonight I pick the Blazers to win by 10. Mavs good FG% D that we have seen the last few games is gone tonight. Around the Mavs basket will be Dunk City tonight, as layups and routes to the basket are unimpeded.

So, with that said, if the Mavs can play close or come away with a win, then I will officially decide that they are over the hump and ready for a strong playoff run. If they lose and play cruddy D, then they still have lots of work to do.

Mav 96
Blaze 106
LordOfTheMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 08:41 PM   #20
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Nash
Fin
Dirk
Walker
Williams

Fasten your seat belts!

Old 02-28-2004, 08:48 PM   #21
Chiwas
Guru

Are the Blazers going to resist the rhythm?

I doubt it.

Old 02-28-2004, 08:49 PM   #22
Chiwas
Guru

Fortson is on the court for Williams (course, but too early).

Old 02-28-2004, 08:51 PM   #23
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

We need to stop their dunks!
Old 02-28-2004, 08:51 PM   #24
Chiwas
Guru

Well, Williams had 2 fouls, but was on fire with 8 points.

Old 02-28-2004, 08:52 PM   #25
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Williams has another strong start, but those 2 early fouls suck.
Old 02-28-2004, 08:54 PM   #26
Chiwas
Guru

I hate the reduced screen of CBS.

Players look shorter and Fortson more beefy. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-28-2004, 08:54 PM   #27
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Key to the game:

Beating them on the boards.
Old 02-28-2004, 08:56 PM   #28
PepperTheMavsFan41

Geez this a better Portlan team!!!!
It's EVOLUTION baby.
Old 02-28-2004, 08:58 PM   #29
Chiwas
Guru

WTG, Fin!

Good steal by Fortson, good secondary fast break by Finley, Walker making the big assist, and Finley putting that three in!

Old 02-28-2004, 08:59 PM   #30
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

Fortson and Walker are really playing well.
Old 02-28-2004, 09:00 PM   #31
Chiwas
Guru

Hehehe, they almost missed that 4 to 1 fast break.

Old 02-28-2004, 09:00 PM   #32
LordOfTheMavs

Scott Williams was very nice early. Every thing he does is just bonus for the Mavs as they dont rely on much from the Center position. Very nice. Nash getting in the lane for easy shots will make thier D losen up for the post players and jump shooter later.

D looking OK. Giving up some dunk and open jumpers, but also seems to be pretty active and players for the most part are getting in good position.

Low turnovers always make the Mavs a tough team to beat.

Dont' have to win the rebounding war tonight, but we do need to keep it close and limit second chance putbacks.

Keep it up guys.
Old 02-28-2004, 09:01 PM   #33
Chiwas
Guru

Also Nash is playing well.
Old 02-28-2004, 09:02 PM   #34
Chiwas
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: LordOfTheMavs
Low turnovers always make the Mavs a tough team to beat.

Dont' have to win the rebounding war tonight, but we do need to keep it close and limit second chance putbacks.
Amen to this.
Old 02-28-2004, 09:02 PM   #35
PepperTheMavsFan41

Is it me or does Zack only have 2 low post moves??
It's EVOLUTION baby.
Old 02-28-2004, 09:04 PM   #36
LordOfTheMavs

Where is the patented sluggish Mavericks start?

Portland is gonna get MoCheeks all up in their faces about that poor defense in the first quarter. If they dont start providing some resistance to easy Mavs buckets (Nash in the paint, Williams open jumpers) then they are gonna get blown out of the building once the jump shooters (Dirk and Fin) start heating up.
Old 02-28-2004, 09:05 PM   #37
OutletPass
Diamond Member

Dirk !!!

Good to see you join the game !!
Old 02-28-2004, 09:06 PM   #38
OutletPass
Diamond Member

59% shooting in the first quarter.

Gotta keep these guys off the boards...they're tops in the NBA since the trade.
Old 02-28-2004, 09:06 PM   #39
MavsFanFinley
Guru

Mavs lead 27-21 after 1st quarter:

Walker (12) 3-4, 1-1, 7pts, 3rbs, 3as, 1to

Dirk (12) 1-3, 0-1, 2pts, 1rb, 2as, 2blks

Williams (5) 3-4, 6pts

Finley (12) 1-3, 0-1, 2pts, 1rb, 1as, 1blk

Nash (12) 5-7, 0-1, 10pts, 1rb, 1as

Fortson (6) 0-1, 4rbs, 1to, 1stl, 1blk

Jamison (1)
Old 02-28-2004, 09:10 PM   #40
PepperTheMavsFan41