Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-14-2004, 10:58 PM   #1
Stew3636

Stew3636 is on a distinguished road
Default Playoff Roster

I just saw that Tony Delk was activated and Josh Howard was put on the IR. I assume this is only for the next 3 days. However, who will make the playoff roster, will Best be kept off with Tariq and Jon.
Stew3636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2004, 11:05 PM   #2
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future
Default RE:Playoff Roster

It might depend on the Mavs first round match up.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 11:12 PM   #3
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Playoff Roster

I don't see matchups distinguishing between Best and Delk that much. I sort of prefer Travis, myself. He's a true point, and IMO plays better man-to-man D against PG's. The simple fact that Nellie activated Delk tonight makes me think he's probably looking for a reason to include him, though, and my sense is that Nellie just kind of prefers Tony's game to Travis'.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:23 PM   #4
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Delk 19 minutes and 5 points.

Nope...he won't be on the roster no matter who the Mavs face.

(But Nellie may activate himself...)
Old 04-14-2004, 11:25 PM   #5
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

I liked Delk's defensive pressure - he seems to be trying hard to prove he can still play defense.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 11:33 PM   #6
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Give me Best. His experience and defense in the playoffs will be huge if Nash were to go down with an injury.

No room for Delk with Daniels and Howard.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:54 PM   #7
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Poindexter Einstein will become famous soon enough

I dont think that will be the option (Best vs Delk).

I think the last playoff spot will be between Delk and Fortson. I think Best has to be active, in case Nash gets hurt somehow.

If I am choosing, I keep Fortson and deactivate Delk. It is hard to find a role for a shooting guard who doesnt shoot well.
Poindexter Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 12:10 AM   #8
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

I can't imagine us sitting one of our bigs for the playoffs.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:22 AM   #9
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

We don't need another scorer in the back court. We have Nash/Daniels with Best and Finley able to fill in if necessary. Not to mention Howard.

We might be facing the Kings, but I'd rather have those fouls from Bradley, Williams, Najera, and Fortson to throw out than what Delk can bring.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:15 PM   #10
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

I liked Delk's defensive energy and if Nellie is committed to small ball, then he has got to sit Fortson to activate Delk.

However, if Nellie feels that Delk will continue to shoot the way he did last night (which was not so good), then he'll probably leave him out.

If I were Nellie, I would always choose size over another quick guard. My choice would be Delk versus Best, and not Delk versus one of the big men. So, I'd make sure Fortson, Bradley and Williams were on the roster, and as much as I liked Delk's energy, because of his long lay-off, I'd have to leave him out and keep Best in.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 02:09 AM   #11
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Delk beat out Best for the playoff roster. Kinda figured that might happen.
Old 04-16-2004, 05:56 AM   #12
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

No idea why that happened, but I can't complain. It doesn't really matter. Best and delk were "fighting" for the few minutes that are left when Nash is sitting the bench. I have no problem with Delk filling in for a few minutes, because he is a good defensive player, which we might need a few of this series.
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 09:36 AM   #13
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

1.-Nash-Daniels-Best
2.- Finley-Daniels-Howard
3.- Finley-Jamison-Howard
4.- Walker- Dirk-Jamison
5.- Dirk-Bradley-Williams

Bet for it.
Old 04-16-2004, 01:52 PM   #14
NewMexiMav

NewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to behold

Correct me if I'm wrong, and I hope I am, but I've always thought Best was a better defender than Delk. If so, Nellie's opting for offense over defense (again).

The selection of Delk over Best will be a non-issue as long as Nash stays healthy in the playoffs. If he were to go down (God forbid), I'd much rather have a true point on the bench to pick up the slack. In my eyes, Best is the only one who fits that description.
NewMexiMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 02:03 PM   #15
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: NewMexiMav
Correct me if I'm wrong, and I hope I am, but I've always thought Best was a better defender than Delk. If so, Nellie's opting for offense over defense (again).

The selection of Delk over Best will be a non-issue as long as Nash stays healthy in the playoffs. If he were to go down (God forbid), I'd much rather have a true point on the bench to pick up the slack. In my eyes, Best is the only one who fits that description.
You're right. If Nash goes down, it's over. We've all seen how this team plays without Nash. But I really don't think it matters who fills in for Nash while he rests because he won't be sitting too much in the playoffs. Whether it's Best or Delk, they won't be playing very much, and they are both good replacements for Steve while he rests up.
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 02:11 PM   #16
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Travis is about as good as anyone staying in front of his man, better than Delk in that respect, but Delk isn't a defensive slouch. He's a bit taller than Best and has extremely long arms so he's better able to defend bigger guards, and is probably more likely to make the spectacular defensive play with his explosiveness. That said, I do think Nellie made the decision because he likes the way Delk fits his offense more than anything else. I'm less concerned about it than I would have been earlier in the season because of Marquis' ability to play the point, and Walk's improved play since switching to center.
Old 04-16-2004, 03:20 PM   #17
Chiwas
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: Chiwas
1.-Nash-Daniels
2.- Daniels-Finley-Howard
3.- Finley-Jamison-Howard
4.- Walker- Dirk-Jamison
5.- Dirk-Bradley-Williams
Corrected.

But I didn't put Delk. Period.

Edit. I put Daniels starting at the 2 and Finley at the 3.
Old 04-16-2004, 04:18 PM   #18
Stitch Jones

Stitch Jones is a jewel in the roughStitch Jones is a jewel in the roughStitch Jones is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
Travis is about as good as anyone staying in front of his man, better than Delk in that respect, but Delk isn't a defensive slouch. He's a bit taller than Best and has extremely long arms so he's better able to defend bigger guards, and is probably more likely to make the spectacular defensive play with his explosiveness. That said, I do think Nellie made the decision because he likes the way Delk fits his offense more than anything else.
I'm thinking just the opposite. I think Nellie is committing to small ball and thusly, a lot of zone defense. While Travis is a gritty man on man defender, Delk has the size and wingspan to be more effective in the zone. Neither guy shoots extremely accurately but Delk is more likely to get streaky-hot than Best, and is also a more potent finisher on the break. I really like Travis, but in the end I think Delk fits Nellie's "medium" ball, zone-happy tendencies a bit better.

It's a shame though because after a slow start, Best has played well when called upon.

"Did you know that Shaq makes $20 million this season ... and another $60 million over the next three? Every Miami fan just threw up on their creepy all-white T-shirt. "
~ Simmons
Stitch Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 04:24 PM   #19
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Let me rephrase. I think Nellie really just isn't comfortable with the way Best fits the offense. I guess I implied that Nellie was really happy with Delk's offense, and I can't imagine that's the case, but Delk's definitely the more Nellie-type player of the two offensively. You have a good point about Delk fitting the zone better, though.
Old 04-16-2004, 06:58 PM   #20
Chiwas
Guru

The problem is, Delk represents pure small ball, while Best doesn't.

Medium Ball, the one that has gave us hope, is in risk with Delk. And when Nelson is pressured and scared, opts for the smallest rotation. I'm imagining Delk playing a lot in the 6th or 7th game, without ANY chance to win it.

It was a terrible decision.
Old 04-16-2004, 07:13 PM   #21
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

I argue that Delk should be taken over best. Delk is the same guy that scored 50 points three years ago.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 07:14 PM   #22
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Activating Delk was not a terrible decision. Relying on him as much more than a last resort would be, but I don't think we'll see that. If Delk spends much time playing alongside Nash (which would be the only possible pure small ball lineup) it will be because we're not getting the necessary production out of Fin/Quis/JHo. If it does come to that, Delk's not the problem, and he would honestly be a better solution than Best.
Old 04-16-2004, 07:18 PM   #23
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Donnie talked about the Delk decision with BaD radio this afternoon. He said it was a really tough decision to make. He basically said that because of Daniels doing so well, and Howard'd lingering injury, they had a stronger need at the 2 spot. He also felt that if Delk ever got hot, he could really go off on their opponents.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 07:36 PM   #24
Chiwas
Guru

Quote:
If Delk spends much time playing alongside Nash (which would be the only possible pure small ball lineup) it will be because we're not getting the necessary production out of Fin/Quis/JHo.
I'll go for this with you, but it your prediction fails, I'll go after your head....well, your baghead.
Old 04-16-2004, 07:44 PM   #25
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

If my prediction fails, you will be getting two heads for the price of one, because I will have already bagged Nellie's[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img].