Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-21-2004, 12:31 AM   #1
Day1MavsFan

Day1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really nice
Default So Let Me Get This Straight....

there are 19 seconds left and the ball goes to Finley to shoot that end-of-quarter fade-away without Nash or Dirk ever touching the ball, and Nellie expects to keep his job as coach next season??
Day1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2004, 12:49 AM   #2
LordOfTheMavs

LordOfTheMavs is on a distinguished road
Default RE: So Let Me Get This Straight....

Yeah. That play did not really play into the strength of the player or the team. I wonder if Fin was supposed to pass that off to Nash who was floating out just to his left beyond the three point spot. I wonder if the play was called for Fin to drive and drag the D (which he did to the left) while Nash slid right around the three point arc. I wonder if Fin just underestimated Peja and thought he really could beat him off the dribble to his left and get off his patented super-duper-hard-fading-left-jumper.

I remember my immediate reaction as the play developed was flip the ball to Nash. Nash would have had one of those in-the-flow-of-the-offense threes that always-always-always goes in. I know it.

Oh well. Just hold serve at home and steal one later.
LordOfTheMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 01:02 AM   #3
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future
Default RE:So Let Me Get This Straight....

Horrible play all the way around.

Finley shoudld have never been placed in that position. It's not fair to have the struggling third option of a team take a shot that should be going to your best player.

So the big question is why the best player(s) don't even touch the ball? And that answer could have a profound impact on the direction this franchise takes in the offseason.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 01:07 AM   #4
LordOfTheMavs

LordOfTheMavs is on a distinguished road

Agreed bad play call. If Fin is to be involved in a last second play, it is because he si coming off a screen for a jumper or Nash/Dirk are kicking out for an open three. Fins biggest weakness is creating a shot by moving to the hoop. He has no handles. He has a nice turnaround jumper and can be a killer on open jumpers in the flow of the game.

In Nellies defense, I think Fin was suppposed to draw the D and kick out to Nash for the Three. I personally think fin feels he still has a lot to prove to the Dallas fans and media thanks to his max out contract. Thats why he took that shot instead of flipping it out to Nash who was sliding on the three point line for and open J for the win.
LordOfTheMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 01:01 PM   #5
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk got the ball on the inbound pass and I thought he was gonna get an isolation play...... lol, foolish me.
Old 04-21-2004, 04:47 PM   #6
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about
Default RE:So Let Me Get This Straight....

Are we sure that Finley was shooting? The ball slipped, he might have been faking the shot to go back to Nash....
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 04:49 PM   #7
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Yes we do... He said so in his quote this afternoon