Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 05-09-2004, 05:21 PM   #1
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of
Default Brand new addition?

According to espn.com Elton Brand will be on the trading block this Summer (even though he just inked a new contract last offseason). I have a few questions:

a) Is he what we're looking for?

b) Do we have anything (other than Dirk) the Clips would want in exchange?

Old 05-09-2004, 07:31 PM   #2
Misfit Mav

Misfit Mav will become famous soon enough
Default RE:Brand new addition?

Very intriguing. Would they have any interest in Walker? If their reputation for stinginess is accurate, they might. Or does Dunleavy really want an elite point guard? Sign and trade for Nash? Would that be worth it? I'd have to think long and hard on that one.

I think Brand would be huge for us, although people will definitely point out his small statute at the PF position. It would be worse on the Mavs, because he would probably end up at center. Still, I think the defense he would put up against Webber, Duncan, and Garnett could make a big difference for us.
When asked after the Dallas Mavericks impressive game 3 win over the Sacramento Kings whether he thought the Mavs won because they played well or because the Kings played poorly, Nelson responded that it was hard to tell, much like a thermos. "How do it know?" queried the ever eccentric Nelson. When you put something hot in it, it stays hot. When you put something cold in it, it stays cold. "How do it know?"
Misfit Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 08:28 PM   #3
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all
Default RE: Brand new addition?

I thought the rumor was a Kobe for Brand trade this summer. Brand would be the role player that Lakers want and Kobe can be the star, and they both stay in the same stadium? Of course that was just a rumor...

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

These are things that I read and live by!
Ummmmm Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 09:15 PM   #4
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

I think I heard Uncle Norm say that LAC was the most sensible option for Kobe. Maybe. But, I'd sure like to see Dallas get in on that and make it a 3 way deal.
Old 05-09-2004, 09:37 PM   #5
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Would they have any interest in Walker? If their reputation for stinginess is accurate, they might.
There's a minimum salary cap in place that makes this scenario unlikely. If the Clips traded for Walk and let him walk (nice play on words) in the summer of 2005, they'd only have about $11 million in salaries on the books. The minimum was around $30 million this year. That means they'd have to sign $19 million worth of free agents or spread the rest of the money evenly among their existing players. Chances are they'd rather keep Brand around than do that.

Also, I think they could get quite a bit more than Walker for Brand.

Quote:
Or does Dunleavy really want an elite point guard? Sign and trade for Nash? Would that be worth it? I'd have to think long and hard on that one.
Sign and trade for Nash won't work because of the BYC rules. Nash + Wahad or something similar might work, but the Clips aren't going to bite on that.

Old 05-09-2004, 09:40 PM   #6
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I think Brand would be huge for us, although people will definitely point out his small statute at the PF position. It would be worse on the Mavs, because he would probably end up at center. Still, I think the defense he would put up against Webber, Duncan, and Garnett could make a big difference for us.
Than bring in Ostertag;If we use our MLE for Quis our only option is a S&T for Ostertag,and i woulnd't mind giving up Fortson for a player like Greg,he still has a couple of good years in him.

Quote:
Sign and trade for Nash won't work because of the BYC rules. Nash + Wahad or something similar might work, but the Clips aren't going to bite on that.
Why not?The Clipps are a PG shy of a line-up,and Nash delivers 8.8 assists per 33 minutes of playing time,and he's a great Offensive player.Maybe if we use Fortson instead of TAW the deal would look better for them.
To get Brand,im willing to let go of any player on our roster except Dirk,any player.
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 11:35 PM   #7
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

The only thing that the Clipps would probably bite on is Nash or Nowitzki. Since Dirk isn't going anywhere, it's down to Nash.

Would you do a package centered around Nash and Brand?

I would love Elton's inside scoring, character, shotblocking, and rebounding, but what good does it do when there is no one ot get him or the other players the ball?

The absolute only way I would consider doing this is if I could get a good point guard in exchange for Antoine Walker. Even then, I don't think it's an automatic. I know people are still upset with Steve's playoff performance, but he would be awfully difficult to replace...
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 11:42 PM   #8
XERXES
Diamond Member

ddh - i think you might be on to something. a 2 part plan:

1) sign and trade nash to LAC for Brand (and parts)

2) send Walker off for a PG (Jason Terry?)
Old 05-10-2004, 10:50 AM   #9
Stressboy

Stressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the rough

Will the clippers be below the cap come summer time? If so then BYC goes out the window I think. Of course it goes out the window 1 year after the Brand deal was complete so it might just be a matter of waiting until the deadline.
Stressboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 11:20 AM   #10
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Stressboy
Will the clippers be below the cap come summer time? If so then BYC goes out the window I think. Of course it goes out the window 1 year after the Brand deal was complete so it might just be a matter of waiting until the deadline.
BYC applies because the Mavs will have to use the Bird exception to sign Nash before trading him, and will almost certainly give him a raise of greater than 20%. As such, when trading Nash, the BYC rules state that Nash's salary will be considered as his previous year's salary, or 50% of his first-year salary under his new contract, whichever is greater. That means Nash's salary, for comparison purposes, will be about $5.75 million or so. Brand makes over $12 million.

The numbers just don't work.