Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 05-26-2004, 07:40 PM   #1
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future
Default Orlando wins the lottery...

No major changes from the mock draft to the real lottery draft order as Orlando comes on top with the first pick.

With Orlando winning the lottery, does this increase the chances of the Mavericks finally landing a top notch defensive minded player down low through some type of trade that could help us acquire Okafor?

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2004, 07:45 PM   #2
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of
Default RE: Orlando wins the lottery...

I say we try and work with the Clippers for Brand and a #2 pick. Dwight Howard isn't that bad, and that would give us two frontcourt players at different positions.

I think it increase chances because i don't think the Clippers nor the Magic need another project player.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 08:01 PM   #3
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future
Default RE:Orlando wins the lottery...

Quote:
I say we try and work with the Clippers for Brand and a #2 pick. Dwight Howard isn't that bad, and that would give us two frontcourt players at different positions
It seems as though we would have to break this team apart to get both Brand and the number two. I dont really see that happening considering all we really need is someone to man the middle down low.

Quote:
I think it increase chances because i don't think the Clippers nor the Magic need another project player
Interesting point considering the Magic are looking to instantly up their talent level; it's questionable as to whether there is a rookie in this draft that can do that next season.

As for the Clippers..i dont think they will budge one bit because they want to fill seats and a young rookie with tons of potential will keep seats filled up for multiple seasons at the least

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

Old 05-26-2004, 09:08 PM   #4
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

If you wanted to deal with Orlando, you had to hope they didn't get the No. 1 overall. They're not trading it.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:12 PM   #5
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

oh...i see kg. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 09:50 PM   #6
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
If you wanted to deal with Orlando, you had to hope they didn't get the No. 1 overall. They're not trading it.

Well its not necessarily a deal with orlando that I would like to see happen moreso its a deal with the team that selects Okafor. Orlando just seems as a prospective team to do business with because they want to improve their team right now (we have a lot of expendable and talented players) and they have a terrible contract (GrantHill) that I could see us taking on in order to get a player like Okafor.

Old 05-26-2004, 10:16 PM   #7
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think we have what they want.

Old 05-27-2004, 06:56 AM   #8
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

OMEKA OKAFOR BABY! Let's go for it, no hurt in trying...
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 09:39 AM   #9
NYCdog

NYCdog will become famous soon enoughNYCdog will become famous soon enough

Quote:
KG,

While I do agree with you that this is a pipe-dream that will never happen, I woulndt rule out Orlando trading the first pick just yet.

Orlando said this exact same line in 1993 when they drafted some loser schmo out of Michigan named Chris Webber at the No 1. We all know what happend from there......

That proves that anything can happen.......the deal just has to be good enough.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:44 AM   #10
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

go for brad before okafore.....the proven over the unknown???

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 12:08 PM   #11
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
go for brad before okafore.....the proven over the unknown???
Brad who?

Old 05-27-2004, 01:15 PM   #12
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

I think he meant Brand.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 04:08 PM   #13
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

oh ok i see

Old 05-28-2004, 06:33 AM   #14
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Orlando will not trade the first pick but there are some intriguing picks south of 2.

Anderson Varejão has promise to fit into our system at the 5
Andre Iguodala would be a nice pick (from a local school for me) if we lose Daniels. He's no Daniels but he's a slasher/finisher
Jameer Nelson could be available if we are looking long term.
Ben Gordon will be top 8 but he is a great combo guard (which Nelson likes and which Daniels really isnt)
J Smith of North Carolina is a Tar Heel......
Nigel Dixon and Donta Smith are good....

and how about this handsome 7'5" Iranian center. Bugliosi isl alive and kicking!
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 11:26 AM   #15
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting note from today's Orlando Sentinel:

Quote:
"I won't know, though, until it gets closer to the draft. Hey, Orlando would be fine with me," said Okafor, reached in Dallas on his cell phone. Okafor, the Connecticut All-America center, and Dwight Howard, the Atlanta high school star, are expected to be the top players available to the Magic in the June 24 draft.
I know, he's probably visiting friends or something of the sort. Still, it looks good to see Okafor and Dallas in the same sentence.
Old 05-28-2004, 11:46 AM   #16
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Tmac needs more than #1 article

for all of those who feel there is no way orlando will trade their pick, this article atleast conveys some smoke to believe otherwise. Is there fire?

Old 05-28-2004, 01:11 PM   #17
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

^^^Good article...sounds like Tracy has made up his mind that he wants out. They will need to have the kind of summer that the T-Wolves had last year to convince him to stay. That's doubtful since they don't even have a real GM.

I hope like hell he doesn't go to SA. I doubt he will since they don't have many trading chips, but you never know.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:45 PM   #18
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Tmac going to San Antonio would be terrible for the mavs, however, I just dont think the spurs have enough material to throw around for Tracy. Right now the best trade they can put together is to first resign Ginobili to a generous contract and then offer up Ginobili, Parker, Rasho, and a future drat pick(s) for TMac. It's possible...but not probable

Old 05-28-2004, 02:29 PM   #19
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

TMac going to San Antonio is a blessing for the Mavs, and the Lakers, and Sacramento. He has never played team basketball in Toronto or Orlando. The guy will drive Popovich nuts because he can't play good defense. Plus, it will make the Spurs more predictable than ever.

The only team that would be dangerous with TMac on their team is Sacramento.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 03:18 PM   #20
dirno2000
Diamond Member

T-Mac can play defense and does it times. It's tough to go all out on defense when you have to carry the team offensively every night to have a change of winning.

Nothing wrong with being predictable if you're better than everybody else.
Old 05-28-2004, 10:33 PM   #21
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirno2000
T-Mac can play defense and does it times. It's tough to go all out on defense when you have to carry the team offensively every night to have a change of winning.

Nothing wrong with being predictable if you're better than everybody else.
good point dirno, ..with all of the energy Tmac exerts on carrying his team on the offensive end ( not to mention while under pressure of constant double teams) he has to be exhausted and thus may have to conserve his energy on the defensive end some. I would hate to see him paired up with Duncan and the defensive minded san antonio spurs.