Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 06-01-2004, 05:03 PM   #1
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute
Default Andriuskevicius

Just a note on the Sabonis pupil that has been discussed a lot lately. I read a quote from the Arizona Republic today indicating that Andriuskevicius wants to stay in Europe for another year and his agent is saying that he has to be a top-five pick to stay in the draft. So if you want him, you gotta get into the top 5, apparently...

Old 06-01-2004, 05:27 PM   #2
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Andriuskevicius

Okay so we could trade the big bucks to pick up the immaciated center and then realize that he needs more time to mature and time to bulk up; we pay his lottery salary for him to play in a European league for a season for him to learn and then he comes to our bench

OR

We wait another year and are able (if willing) to pick him up somewhere in the mid to late first round.....

hard decision. I personally think he has alot of potential but since he's 7'2" and only 250 pounds and he has not played even a full season of European ball, it looks like he is a few years down the road as a significant NBA player.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 06:03 PM   #3
cheesestar
Golden Member

cheesestar will become famous soon enough

agreed. if he hasnt played a full year of euro ball the nba will be too much of a jump.
cheesestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 06:05 PM   #4
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

This kid is WAY more hype than he is basketball player - at this point.

I don't think the Mavs need to get him right now. If we could, sure, it would be a nice luxury to have. It would be like the Kristic kid in New Jersey. But I have been saying to anyone who will listen that there are other big men I like much more than Martynas.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 06:10 PM   #5
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Andriuskevicius

DD, you have probably said them ad nauseum, but indulge me... who is better than Marty?

Besides Okafor, there is Petro, Aruajo, Pavel, Ramos. Those are the only 4 centers I can think of that are "in" the draft. And there are strong indications that Petro will pull out.

Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 06:42 PM   #6
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

Recent word is that Marty is being pulled from the draft as well. His agent wants a top 5 promise, and even with that, the ability to keep him in Europe for another year to learn under Sabonis.

Which just sounds pretty damn absurd, I can't see any team doing that.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 09:50 PM   #7
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Emeka Okafor is a center? I was thinking he was an Elton Brand/Ben Wallace type PF
Old 06-01-2004, 11:25 PM   #8
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: Bayliss
DD, you have probably said them ad nauseum, but indulge me... who is better than Marty?

Besides Okafor, there is Petro, Aruajo, Pavel, Ramos. Those are the only 4 centers I can think of that are "in" the draft. And there are strong indications that Petro will pull out.
I grant you that there aren't as many good true centers. I do like the Biedrins kid a lot. He may not contribute immediately either, but he has played much better in Europe. Right now, he is more of a 4, but he should grow into a 5 easily.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:33 PM   #9
dashthemavfan13

dashthemavfan13 is on a distinguished road

Supposedly Biendrins says he can grow to be 7-2, and then he would definitely be a center. And the good thing about this guy, is that his strong point is supposedly defense.
dashthemavfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 11:34 PM   #10
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

I like Biedrins too. From reports, he is similar to Darko in style of play. But in all honestly, I would rather have Ramos or Petro over Marty.

Old 06-02-2004, 12:34 AM   #11
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

At the risk of sounding like a smart ass (really I'm not trying to be), how can you "like" somebody that you've never seen before? Are they showing international games on NBA TV now?

If his agent really needs a top 5 guarantee, I wouldn't touch him. If he's hasn’t shown enough potential to be taken in the top 5, that says a lot. Especially when you consider that the NBA draft is becoming so speculative that it's starting to resemble the MLB draft.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:05 AM   #12
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirno2000
At the risk of sounding like a smart ass (really I'm not trying to be), how can you "like" somebody that you've never seen before? Are they showing international games on NBA TV now?

If his agent really needs a top 5 guarantee, I wouldn't touch him. If he's hasn’t shown enough potential to be taken in the top 5, that says a lot. Especially when you consider that the NBA draft is becoming so speculative that it's starting to resemble the MLB draft.
it basically says he isnt confident that he will play well in the couple of years, because lottery picks get guaranteed money and contracts regardless of NBA play. He just wants his money upfront. Daniels actually had to show his talent in the NBA (and not just workouts) to get his big payoff.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:33 AM   #13
Bayliss

Quote:
Because I was basing the scouting report on the Mavericks' needs. Therefore I like what he could offer.

And btw, my opinions on some of these kids may change when I read how they worked out, etc. There are always going to be workout warriors a la Skita... but it is when you find who has strength, stamina, etc in relation to other players. And strengths/weaknesses.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:55 AM   #14
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

All these things said here and now, are exactly what was said about Yao. He is a young project. He has the potential to be great though, and most don't have that potential. He may be a bust. If I were drafting 4-7, and needed a BIG, then without a doubt I would take a chance on this kid. Yes, I would leave him in Europe for year under Sabonis. That just makes sense anyway.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 12:31 PM   #15
ddh33
Platinum Member

I like kids based on what I have read. I try to gather as much information as I can and make my own decisions. I don't like buying into the Chad Ford hype automatically.

But along these lines, I would love it if NBA TV started showing these kids working out. I would get that channel in a hurry. I just think that's a way they could make their programming more appealing.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:56 PM   #16
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Based on what I have read, seen (which is very little), and researched, I really wish the Mavs would take a look at a few of the Bigs in this years draft. I also hope they stay away from a few others.

I like Andriuskevicius because of Sabonis, and I like Biedrins. These two I think might be All-Stars someday.

I think Ha Seung-Jin and Rouzbahani would be minimal 3 year projects, but maybe worth the wait.

Ramos, Harrison, and Garnett, I think become servicable centers, but I don't think they have star written on them (I could be wrong).

IMO, I would stay away from Podkolzine and Samardziski. They have Greg Ostertag and Uwe Blab written all over them.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 01:00 PM   #17
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Every basketball fan in Dallas should make a point of checking out the Global Games at Moody every summer. You can see some the best under 21 talent in the world. A couple of year ago Darko was here, although he didn't play much. The center from NJ (Kristoc I believe) was here and outplayed by Chris Bosh right out of high school. Radmonovich and I believe Nene have also been here, in addition to the many great American players. Ramos has been here the past two years. The 1st year he was garbage. Last year he was just bad, so he is improving. Unless he's made a huge leap over the past year (not unheard of since he's so young), he doesn't interest me much. Great size, but not much skill and even less intensity.

A side bonus of the Global Games is getting to see Donnie and whip his ass about the Mavs. He’s always very accommodating.