Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 06-07-2004, 08:11 AM   #1
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold
Default What's Going On in Denver?

Any Nug watchers who can shed light on why Bzdelik's situation isn't any more secure? Is this Rick Carlise-syndrome? Or Byron Scott-complex? Or Paul Silas-itis?

What is this Kroenke about? Is he level-heaed? Or is he another attention-starved media whore who's about to start thinking he knows how to run a team better than Kiki?

Does this give Mavericks' fans any hope whatsoever that Kiki might be available as a GM in a year or two? Dare we hope it?

Bzdelik remains in limbo

By Marc J. Spears
Denver Post Staff Writer

Los Angeles - While Nuggets owner Stan Kroenke expressed respect for Jeff Bzdelik, the team is no closer to making a decision on the coach's future.

"Any owner has an influence on the decision," said Kroenke, who watched Sunday's Los Angeles Lakers-Detroit Pistons game from Lakers co-owner Philip Anschutz's luxury box at the Staples Center. "That decision is being handled and weighed. People think we've made good decisions in the past, and we'll make another good decision."

Bzdelik, who is scheduled to make $1.6 million during the 2004-05 season, led the Nuggets to 43 wins and their first playoff berth in nine years this season. General manager Kiki Vande- weghe and Kroenke have discussed Bzdelik's situation, but there is no timetable for a decision.

"Jeff has done a very good job," Kroenke said. "If you look at where we were last year, we've made a lot of progress. We had one of the biggest turnarounds in league history. I learned a long time ago that you make progress as a team. A lot of people deserve credit."

It is likely Vandeweghe will receive a contract extension and a raise. He will be entering the fourth year of a five-year deal next season after making $750,000 last season.

"Kiki and I have a very good relationship and friendship," Kroenke said. "It will be handled in due course."
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2004, 12:06 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: What's Going On in Denver?

Kroenke is a good owner for the most part. He desperately wants to win at the right price. If they let Bzdelik go it will be a huge mistake. The guy is coach of the year material for the job he has done. I think there are some personality conflicts, and I know for certain Bzdelik has coached to the teams strengths and not necessarily to the owners/GM's desire. But, he has outperformed all expectations.

I imagine Bzdelik will be retained and this will all be lip service. Kiki isn't stupid. Bzdelik has this team in full control and a change would be very risky. As for Kiki's fate....he will be retained. Book it. Kroenke loves him and he will be going nowhere.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote