Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 06-10-2004, 11:48 PM   #1
arkuo

arkuo is on a distinguished road
Default could someone pls clear this out?

hey guys, could anyone clear things about nash' stay in dallas? is there any confirmation or at least a rumor that nash is goin somewhere in the offseason? did he really agreed to a sign and trade? if yes, what possible teams might aquire him?
arkuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2004, 12:00 AM   #2
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future
Default RE:could someone pls clear this out?

I think it's almost certain that Steve Nash will be a Maverick again next season. The Mavs can pay him more than anyone else, and they will. Add that to Steve wanting to stay here with his close friends, and this deal gets done - even if it is a little rocky at time.

But I have read nothing other than speculation that leads me to believe that he is leaving Dallas. In fact, Nash himself has been qouted as saying that he prefers to stay in Dallas. Cuban has said the same thing. Like I said, it will get done. It's just sells a lot more papers around the country for teams to convince themselves that he is coming.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 12:06 AM   #3
arkuo

arkuo is on a distinguished road

i also heard that steve met with the portland executives..

utah also wants him..

so does phoenix...

but i'd sure hope he stays in dallas..
arkuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 12:06 AM   #4
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Poindexter Einstein will become famous soon enough
Default RE: could someone pls clear this out?

DDH is exactly right. Columnists around the country, where they need a PG, can easily say "there's an All-Star PG who is a free agent, lets explain how he just might play on our team next year." And those sort of reports will be repeated over and over until mid July, when the Mavs will re-sign Nash. The rules prevent them from doing anything til then. Thats the only reason it hasnt been done already.

He wants to play here. This is a very good team, he fits, he is a starter and a main cog. He doesnt want to leave.

The Mavs want him here - he is a main piece of a very successful core. They will sit and figure out money that they both think is fair, and the deal will happen.
Poindexter Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 12:12 AM   #5
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

ARK.... he did NOT meet with the Portland executives. The guy who wrote that came back a few days later and said (in a very small article) "whoops, that was John Nash (a Portland exec) meeting with other Portland execs, not Steve Nash."

Utah has Arroyo whom they are happy with at PG. They have other more pressing needs.

Phoenix doesnt have enough money, and a reporter there wrote a long story about how Nash COULD come there and then asked Nash's dad (who lives there) and Nash's dad said "he will sign with Dallas." They asked Nash's agent who said "yep Phoenix would be a great option for Nash" and then later admitted in the same story "but he'll sign with Dallas". It's just hype and negotiation being tossed about.

The main point is that Nash wants to be in Dallas. Dallas wants Nash. Very simple story. They sign a contract, everyone gets what they want.
Old 06-11-2004, 03:25 AM   #6
bcrav4
Golden Member

bcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to all

And what about Nash's defense? Will we eventually start having to bench in the 4th quarters, just like LA does with Payton???
"They better not put me in the All-Star Game. I won't shoot, but I'll dominate that easy game. I'll be playing hard defense. I'll be foulin'. I'll be flagrant fouling. Everyone will be like, 'What are you doing?'" -- Ron Artest.
bcrav4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 03:41 AM   #7
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

BCRAV ...he is who he is. You get the pluses and the minuses. The Mavs are willing to accept that set and re-sign him, and then figure out how to improve it.

The question was will he be here, and the answer is yes.
Old 06-11-2004, 06:00 PM   #8
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

I can't see any realistic way Nash isn't back. I'd prefer to see the Mavs do some overhauling to build the team with young players around Dirk, but that's not going to happen. Bringing back Nash certainly isn't a bad alternative. If the Mavs can simply get Nash and Daniels back, move Walker for center help, and keep everything else the same, they should be in good shape to make a title run.