Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 06-15-2004, 08:36 AM   #1
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute
Default Orlando leaning toward using the top pick

Magic unsure of McGrady's future

GM John Weisbrod says Orlando is leaning toward making the top pick.

By Brian Schmitz | Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted June 15, 2004

The Orlando Magic expect to know "pretty soon" whether superstar Tracy McGrady is in their future, but everybody else may be left guessing for some time.

"I don't know when the resolution will be made public, but we'll have it pretty soon," Magic General Manager John Weisbrod said Monday.

Frustrated after a 21-61 season, McGrady can opt out of his seven-year contract after next season, but the Magic have been pushing for an answer since this season ended.

Magic owner Rich DeVos will come to Orlando this week in hopes of speaking to T-Mac, who has said he is "90 percent certain" what he will do.

Magic President Bob Vander Weide told the Sentinel recently that he and DeVos want to know "whether Tracy is in or whether he's out."

In other news, Weisbrod said Monday that the Magic, who have the No. 1 pick in the June 24 NBA draft, "were of the mind to make the pick."

He said no team has swept them off their feet with a trade proposal in which the Magic could receive veteran players, a deal that might help McGrady win games and persuade him to stay.

Weisbrod said several teams who don't have lottery picks have called to inquire. He admitted "nothing is set in stone," and that normally the serious dealing doesn't occur until close to draft day.

A league source, however, said Monday that the Magic are trying to trade the No. 1 pick and that two teams -- one a non-lottery team -- are aggressively pursuing the pick.

But looking "at the value of the players involved," Weisbrod said he feels it's better to keep the top selection -- whether it's Emeka Okafor or Dwight Howard.

Okafor will work out for the Magic Friday morning. Howard will arrive Friday night with his parents and, according to his agent, Aaron Goodwin, will work out sometime Saturday "after the Magic have had a chance to digest Okafor's workout."

McGrady has scoffed at the available draft prospects and said he did not want to be part of a rebuilding project. He has lobbied the club to trade their draft pick for veterans.

If McGrady wants out, the Magic want to be able to trade him and receive compensation in the form of players or draft picks.

Weisbrod has said he has a "sense" of what McGrady will do, but neither McGrady nor McGrady's agent, Arn Tellem, have publicly announced their intentions.

It appears McGrady is ready to ask the Magic to trade him to a playoff team, and the silence of all parties may indicate that a deal already may be in the works.

Brian Schmitz can be reached at bschmitz@orlandosentinel.com.

Reading between the lines here, the two teams that are aggressively pursuing the top pick are Charlotte and Dallas.

Bickerstaff has made it known that he wants the top pick, and I'd be willing to bet that he is offering to take any player that Orlando wants in the expansion draft and then package them to Orlando with the No. 4 pick.

Dallas is almost certainly offering Walker and offering to take Hill off of Orlando's hands.

Doesn't sound like either offer is going to be enough. It does sound, though, like the Mavs should be lining up to make an offer for McGrady.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:52 AM   #2
Jeremiah

Jeremiah will become famous soon enough
Default RE:Orlando leaning toward using the top pick

It seems to me that DAL, if they are offering Walk, ought to be offering Jamison instead, as he probably has the perception of better value. In fact, they probably ought to offer Jamison and Daniels for TMac so the Magic have a fairly young 6th man F, and a 2nd year G that can handle 1/2 time at the point. Or, as has been discussed many a time on this board, two high priced Mavs for TMac and Hill. I'd start with Walker and Jamison, migrate to Walker and Finley if need be, and finally offer Jamison and Finley, in order to get TMac.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:10 AM   #3
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

My best guess is that they are in line for either the #1 or McGrady, whichever one becomes available. I am <u>guessing</u> that Jamison is part of that deal, and possibly Walker or the exception for him as well. Either that, or Walker (TE) & Howard for Hill, and #1. Something upon those lines. I don't think a deal gets done until after the expansion draft though, so they know more of what they have to deal with.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 10:38 AM   #4
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Orlando leaning toward using the top pick

"[ / B ] "

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I hope the Mavs can wiggle in there. This almost sounds like posturing to sweeten talks.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 11:04 AM   #5
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Intriguing, this Orlando situation. A question: if the Grant Hill situation is so terrible for them, why in the good hell did they protect him???
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 11:11 AM   #6
MikeB
Golden Member

MikeB has a spectacular aura aboutMikeB has a spectacular aura about

The word is that there have been inquiries by 3-4 teams about Hill so Orlando thinks he can still be tradeable. Plus if they have to deal TMac then packaging him with Hill will allow the Magic to recover quicker by getting more players or picks.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 11:18 AM   #7
thewillis12

thewillis12 is on a distinguished road

i dont see why everyone jumps on T-mac trades. we have a reliable shooting guard already and a promising young shooting guard in daniels. if it aint broke than dont fix it. we already tried a experinment like that last summer and it ended with not enough shots for everyone. we all agree dirk is the future of the franchise, T-mac will demand his 20 shots per game. we dont need another superstar to get over the hump. detroit has proven that in the finals. we need ROLE players who UNDERSTAND THEIR ROLE and play hard on DEFENSE.
thewillis12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 11:35 AM   #8
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg
Intriguing, this Orlando situation. A question: if the Grant Hill situation is so terrible for them, why in the good hell did they protect him???
You have to protect him to make sure he's around to trade him.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:49 AM   #9
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Orlando leaning toward using the top pick

Interesting article. You really can't help but suspect that the Mavs are involved in all this wierd Orlando stuff.
Quote:
probably ought to offer Jamison and Daniels for TMac
We cannot trade Daniels because we will have to use the MLE to resign him; players signed using the MLE/LLE cannot be traded for a year.
Quote:
The word is that there have been inquiries by 3-4 teams about Hill so Orlando thinks he can still be tradeable.
I've read that too, but I don't believe for a second that teams are just inquiring about Hill. They're asking about Hill AND the #1, or Hill AND McGrady. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.
Quote:
i dont see why everyone jumps on T-mac trades. we have a reliable shooting guard already and a promising young shooting guard in daniels. if it aint broke than dont fix it. we already tried a experinment like that last summer and it ended with not enough shots for everyone.
There is exactly one team in the league that ain't broke at shooting guard compared to McGrady. If we can get him and the price makes sense, we have to do it. As for last summer, comparing Toine to TMac is pretty shortsighted if you ask me.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:52 AM   #10
Jeremiah

Quote:
Originally posted by: thewillis12
i dont see why everyone jumps on T-mac trades. we have a reliable shooting guard already and a promising young shooting guard in daniels. if it aint broke than dont fix it. we already tried a experinment like that last summer and it ended with not enough shots for everyone. we all agree dirk is the future of the franchise, T-mac will demand his 20 shots per game. we dont need another superstar to get over the hump. detroit has proven that in the finals. we need ROLE players who UNDERSTAND THEIR ROLE and play hard on DEFENSE.
He is a role player. His role would be to play SG, score 20-25 per night, get 5-7 rebs per night, get to the line when needed, take over the game when others can't, and be a heckuva complement to the jumpshooting PF and PG by driving and dishing and drawing double and triple teams.

Getting TMac means building around him or having him as a cornerstone in an established franchise.

Whomever is left of Walk, Fin and Jamison, you trade or you have come off the bench.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:54 AM   #11
Jeremiah

Quote:
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
Interesting article. You really can't help but suspect that the Mavs are involved in all this wierd Orlando stuff.
Quote:
probably ought to offer Jamison and Daniels for TMac
We cannot trade Daniels because we will have to use the MLE to resign him; players signed using the MLE/LLE cannot be traded for a year.
Quote:
The word is that there have been inquiries by 3-4 teams about Hill so Orlando thinks he can still be tradeable.
I've read that too, but I don't believe for a second that teams are just inquiring about Hill. They're asking about Hill AND the #1, or Hill AND McGrady. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.
Quote:
i dont see why everyone jumps on T-mac trades. we have a reliable shooting guard already and a promising young shooting guard in daniels. if it aint broke than dont fix it. we already tried a experinment like that last summer and it ended with not enough shots for everyone.
There is exactly one team in the league that ain't broke at shooting guard compared to McGrady. If we can get him and the price makes sense, we have to do it. As for last summer, comparing Toine to TMac is pretty shortsighted if you ask me.

Ok, I didn't know. Insert Howard instead of Daniels.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:26 PM   #12
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

This is all very interesting.

While Dallas is not mentioned at all in this article and may not even be the team being talked about, the Mavs do make a lot of sense. Dallas has the players to make Orlando competitive in the East. Orlando has the star and pick to really get the Mavs attention.

I'm just skeptical because Ifigure there are other teams in the league with less of an identity than the Mavs who might be willing to give up a lot more in order to get T-Mac and some direction.

We may find out something soon enough though...
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 04:47 PM   #13
Stressboy

Stressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the rough

Phoenix and Houston are probably the two teams talked about in another article that I saw. Francis/Mobley/Cato/6.9 Trade Exception for Hill/McGrady/Howard is pretty good. Would Houston have the guts to do it. Dallas is the only other team with the ammo and guts to pull it off, but I'm sure a Portland might do something crazy.
Stressboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 05:28 PM   #14
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Francis/Mobley/Cato/6.9 Trade Exception for Hill/McGrady/Howard is pretty good.
This doesn't work under the CBA because Houston doesn't have any cap room to absorb the extra salary.