Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 06-16-2004, 01:55 AM   #1
akaarod03

akaarod03 is on a distinguished road
Default Who would you choose if you're Dallas...Emeka or Dwight?

In other news, Weisbrod said Monday that the Magic, who have the No. 1 pick in the June 24 NBA draft, "were of the mind to make the pick."

He said no team has swept them off their feet with a trade proposal in which the Magic could receive veteran players, a deal that might help McGrady win games and persuade him to stay.

Weisbrod said several teams who don't have lottery picks have called to inquire. He admitted "nothing is set in stone," and that normally the serious dealing doesn't occur until close to draft day.

A league source, however, said Monday that the Magic are trying to trade the No. 1 pick and that two teams -- one a non-lottery team -- are aggressively pursuing the pick.

But looking "at the value of the players involved," Weisbrod said he feels it's better to keep the top selection -- whether it's Emeka Okafor or Dwight Howard.

Okafor will work out for the Magic Friday morning. Howard will arrive Friday night with his parents and, according to his agent, Aaron Goodwin, will work out sometime Saturday "after the Magic have had a chance to digest Okafor's workout."

McGrady has scoffed at the available draft prospects and said he did not want to be part of a rebuilding project. He has lobbied the club to trade their draft pick for veterans.

If McGrady wants out, the Magic want to be able to trade him and receive compensation in the form of players or draft picks.

Weisbrod has said he has a "sense" of what McGrady will do, but neither McGrady nor McGrady's agent, Arn Tellem, have publicly announced their intentions.

It appears McGrady is ready to ask the Magic to trade him to a playoff team, and the silence of all parties may indicate that a deal already may be in the works.
--------------------------------------------------------------
In the Orlando article...I'm going to go out on a limb and say the "non-lottery team" is Dallas...would you agree?

Two questions for everyone:

1) If TMac says to Orlando...I'll stay here on the condition that you bring in veterans that can help i.e. I don't want to go through a re-building process...would you do this 3-team deal?

Dallas trades Antoine Walker, Antawn Jamison, and Tony Delk

Dallas receives Grant Hill, Juwan Howard, Jerome Williams, Pat Garrity, and the #1 overall pick

Chicago trades Antonio Davis, Jerome Williams, and the #3 overall pick

Chicago receives Antawn Jamison, Tony Delk, Andrew Declerq, and Deshawn Stevenson

Orlando trades Grant Hill, Juwan Howard, Pat Garrity, Andrew Declerq, Deshawn Stevenson, and the #1 overall pick

Orlando receives Antoine Walker, Antonio Davis, and the #3 overall pick

Why Dallas does it?

To get either Emeka Okafur or Dwight Howard. Juwan Howard could be our 6th man (not as good as Jamison but still adequate and a lot cheaper). Jerome Williams is a bigger "energy" version of Eduardo Najera. Who knows...maybe Grant Hill could possibly contribute next year (dont hold your breath). Garrity is a nice spot-up shooter off the bench.

Dallas' lineup:

PF Nowitski Juwan Howard
SF Josh Howard Williams
C Emeka Okafur or Dwight Howard Ostertag (sign him in the offseason)
PG Nash Daniels
SG Finley Hill or some other FA

Garrity, Najera, Steffanson, and Bradley round out our bench (On a side note...there's a possibility of a lot of Howards on our team...Juwan, Josh, and Dwight!)

Why Chicago does it?

They keep their 4 kids (Curry, Chandler, Crawford, and Hinrich). They add a terrific talented veteran in Antawn Jamison. Stevenson is still a young talent. Delk and Declerq are simply role players. Btw...Stevenson and Declerq are free after this year.

Chicago's lineup:

PF Chandler
SF Jamison
C Curry
PG Hinrich
SG Crawford

Playoff team? I think so.

Why Orlando does it?

To appease Mcgrady. They get 2 veterans that can help immediately. They still get a young talent with the #3 overall pick (Livingston?)

Orlando's lineup:

PF Gooden
SF Walker
C Davis
PG Livingston
SG Mcgrady

Playoff team? Borderline.

2) If you could somehow get Orlando's #1 pick...who would you take? Ben Wallace with an offensive game a.k.a. Emeka Okafur or possibly the next KG in Dwight Howard?
akaarod03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2004, 07:01 AM   #2
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Who would you choose if you're Dallas...Emeka or Dwight?

1) No, I don't do the deal. You give up 3 players, take back 5, and don't fill the need for a Center - unless you are going to start Okafor next year, and I don't see Nellie starting the year out with a Rookie center.

2) I would probably say Okafor is a bigger need than Howard because he will play the 5, and Howard the 4. Dallas has a pretty good 4 in Nowitzki.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 11:37 AM   #3
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future
Default RE: Who would you choose if you're Dallas...Emeka or Dwight?

This trade would seem like a long shot...but I'd do it.

If I had the number one I would select Okafor hands down. I believe his best position in the NBA will be at the 4 although I also think he'll be able to compete at the 5 if need be

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote