Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 06-17-2004, 03:19 PM   #1
StvNash13

StvNash13 is on a distinguished road
Default Teams in the West

Many people have talked about the Mavericks of next year, and their potential, but I wanna talk about other teams in the West, and our possible competition next year. So here it goes:

Houston Rockets: I look for them to improve the most and become one of the elite teams in the West. If they manage to pick up McGrady and dump Francis, they will become a force to be reckoned with. Putting Tracy into the starting line up will let Jim Jackson come off the bench together with Moe Taylork, which is pretty strong. They're gonna need a true point guard that will feed Yao and Tracy the ball. If they play their cards right and get lucky with McGrady, Houston can become the Lakers of 2001 with better defense. (Even though Yao won't be as dominant as Shaq once was)

San Antonio Spurs: Even though I think that they need more talent to surround Duncan with, they believe too much in Parker and Ginobily to go for any radical changes. They might try to lure Kobe, but it's very unlikely that he will go there from the financial point of view. I expect their roster to be almost identical to this year's, which is still pretty damn good.

Minnesota Timberwolves: Same as Spurs. They had a great year, and they have a pretty complete team. If Hudson leaves, they definitely need a good back up PG whom they trust, because they don't wanna be in the same situation as this year in the playoffs. They need to figure out if they're gonna start Szerbiak or not, and if not, what's his attitude gonna be like coming off the bench. Other than that, I expect them to have the same team as this year, and they will be strong.

Memphis: Here's a team that won 50+ games this year, and is full of young talent. Jerry West will try to get Kobe, but it probably won't happen. Not that I think that they need him anyway. What they need is some veteran leadership on the team, and some experience. They shouldn't mess around with the roster too much, just add some veterans and they should have a good chance to go deep in the playoffs.

Denver: Same situation as Memphis. Lots of good, young players, and a tonn of potential. Will make a run at Kobe, and according to some sources they have a good chance of getting him, but I don't buy that. Can't imagine Kobe wanting to live in Colorado. They should also just add some veterans to their team and they'll be fine.

New Orleans: This team is very interesting. They have 2 all stars (Davis, Magloire), and a bunch of good players (Wesley, Alexander, Brown), and an excellent coach. I expect them to get rid of Mashburn, and if they get some value in return they will be a good team. The division they're in is going to be hell, but I wouldn't be surprised if all 5 teams from this division made the playoffs.

Utah Jazz: My second favorite team, mainly because I'm in love with AK-47. They have an all star and a very young team. If they add another all star, they will be a very good team. But even w/o that, with AK, Harpring, Aroyo, Giricic, etc they have a very solid team. Add to that 3(!!) first round picks, and suddenly their situation looks very favorable.

Portland: A team with a lot of talent, but they've had that for a while. However, next year could be their year. They got rid of most of their trouble makers, and if they add some depth to their back court, they can become a very dangerous team.

Sacramento: It's hard to talk about this team. Loads of talent, but still never achieved anything (sounds familiar?). I look for them to try to dump Webber, but that's going to be difficult. If they manage to do that though, and get value in return, they may be on the right track. We'll have to see.

Clippers: Once again, a lot of talent but who know how well they'll do. However, their situation looks very good. They have a big 3 (Brand, Maggette, Richardson), and many good young players. They have money and the 2nd round pick. If they can get Kobe and a good point guard (Livingston?), they may be on their way to a promising season.

Lakers: Who knows??????

That's pretty much it. I don't expect much from Seattle, Golden State and Phoenix.

Anything that you would want to correct/add to would be appreciated. Go Mavs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
StvNash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links